Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: looking to get into the camper world
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> looking to get into the camper world

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, so I have a large 5th wheel but I am now thinking of buying a truck camper in addition to the 5th so we can access parks with smaller spots or for when we go to the island to lower the ferry cost and have our own bed with us.

I am looking at different options, I want a light one with a toilet in it, don't have to have a shower but would like a toilet with a holding tank.

now I am not sure if I should bite the bullet and get a newer one from a dealer, or get a 4to 6000.00 cdn ranged one privately , or spend less and get one for that needs work and just fix it up.

also what should I be looking at when I am looking at them, any specific things to watch out for with a camper

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your concern involves lowering the ferry costs? How many crossing would you need to break even?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never had trouble with close spaces until I tried to sleep in a cabover bed.

I borrowed one for a trip. The first night on the road I crawled into the bed over the cab and tried to sleep. Instead I wound up with a bit of an anxiety attack. I wound up sleeping on the dinette bed for the rest of the trip.

I see enough campers on the road that I am sure that I am weird. I would suggest that you try one out before you buy just in case you are weird too. [emoticon]

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Joe417

AL

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course, just an opinion, but when we try something new, we always go with a used cheaper one first and find out what we like and dislike about it. Allows us to keep more of what we've earned while still getting the things we "think" we like.

Had a friend who bought 4 new trucks all in about 4 years. Three were dual rear wheel. One of those he had a whole week before trading for another he liked better. Obviously, money was no object.

Joe & Evelyn

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends how hand you are, you can get still good looking camper for $6000, but easy to get yourself in bigger project, than anticipated.
I can't travel without shower, but that will put you into 10-12' campers and dually truck range.
Good luck on your search.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

. . . I can't travel without shower, but that will put you into 10-12' campers and dually truck range.
There's a whole lotta 8-10 ft. hardside campers with fully functional showers . . . happily riding around on SRW's [emoticon]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try and find a nice used TC no bigger than 9 feet for your SRW to see how you like truck campers...There's some good ones out there and are very reasonable in price but there are also some bad ones out there and priced ridiculously to high..

As an example,yesterday a guy brought in a newer Ford diesel F-350 SRW to the diesel mechanic across the street with a 10ft/with slide and he was swaying like I have never seen..The wife thought he was going to roll it..LOL

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PNW_Steve wrote:

I have never had trouble with close spaces until I tried to sleep in a cabover bed.

I borrowed one for a trip. The first night on the road I crawled into the bed over the cab and tried to sleep. Instead I wound up with a bit of an anxiety attack. I wound up sleeping on the dinette bed for the rest of the trip.

I see enough campers on the road that I am sure that I am weird. I would suggest that you try one out before you buy just in case you are weird too. [emoticon]

Being in the Navy, I got used to small bunks real quick. In fact, I always sleep soundly in the cab over bed. Reminds me of being on the ship way back when.

You are weird.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I would try and find a nice used TC no bigger than 9 feet for your SRW to see how you like truck campers...There's some good ones out there and are very reasonable in price but there are also some bad ones out there and priced ridiculously to high..

As an example,yesterday a guy brought in a newer Ford diesel F-350 SRW to the diesel mechanic across the street with a 10ft/with slide and he was swaying like I have never seen..The wife thought he was going to roll it..LOL

Sounds like inadequate rear suspension not a diesel issue.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Depends how hand you are, you can get still good looking camper for $6000, but easy to get yourself in bigger project, than anticipated.
I can't travel without shower, but that will put you into 10-12' campers and dually truck range.

Have a grip on the no shower / ripe deal. Mandatory for us is a shower both inside and outside. We do the dishes with the outside one and when in the woods (and no one around) shower nekked too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> looking to get into the camper world
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS