Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Lower Michigan west coast druthers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Lower Michigan west coast druthers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be spending the night or so at Indiana Dunes SP and have some time to kill before our appointment in Elkhart, IN. My question is: Looking for another spot for a night along the Michigan western coast and figure that we can comfortable drive up to Ludington if needed and still make our appointment on time. Which campground/state park is the better for campsite, beach, sights, etc., etc?
All the state parks I have researched appear about the same. (Warren Dunes, Van Buren, Holland, Grand Haven, Hoffmaster, Muskegon, Silver Lake, Mears, and Ludington.
Not big on private parks, but for a night and a day, could live with it if the amenities/sights were worth it.
24' with 30amp only, don't need water or sewer.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

We will be spending the night or so at Indiana Dunes SP and have some time to kill before our appointment in Elkhart, IN. My question is: Looking for another spot for a night along the Michigan western coast and figure that we can comfortable drive up to Ludington if needed and still make our appointment on time. Which campground/state park is the better for campsite, beach, sights, etc., etc?
All the state parks I have researched appear about the same. (Warren Dunes, Van Buren, Holland, Grand Haven, Hoffmaster, Muskegon, Silver Lake, Mears, and Ludington.
Not big on private parks, but for a night and a day, could live with it if the amenities/sights were worth it.
24' with 30amp only, don't need water or sewer.

If your only talking for one day you might as well take the closest one. They are all within biking or walking distance to the beach. Ludington is my personal favorite as there is so much to do in the park itself without leaving. Others like Holland or Grand Haven are much smaller and offer parking lot campsites but right near the beach. I'm not sure you can go wrong on the state parks on Michigan's west coast for a night. Do plan ahead as state parks along Lake Michigan are very popular, often you need to plan 6 months ahead on the more popular ones like Ludington for example.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure exactly what you are looking for but, check out yankee springs state park.

brant_c

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't need water / sewer your battery(s) should last one night.

Just boondock close to the place you want to enjoy.

2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently at Silver Lake ( Silver Creek CG, a private park) Very nice place. What brought us here is the dunes, we rented a Polaris RZR for a couple hours yesterday and had a blast.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ludington is a huge park, much to see and do. During the season, you have to book months ahead !

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As much as I wanted to visit Ludington SP, I think we'll pass. Thanks for all the great responses. We're gonna hit Indiana Dunes SP and then continue our trek east.

thanks again all!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Lower Michigan west coast druthers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS