cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tie down points?

Jlschuma
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a pop up truck camper and it only has tie downs mounted on the rear. Does anyone use the jack brackets? If so do you do it by keeping the jacks on the camper? I put in some stake pocket mounts for the camper since it is light but may go to a differ t mounting option. I had Torklift on my old truck but think they are overkill for a 1200 pound camper.
2000 Toyota Tundra
1990ish Shadow Cruiser pop up truck camper
8 REPLIES 8

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The jack stand mounts are reinforced so should be fine to tie to.
Typically the floor of the wings (flat part that hangs over bed rails of truck) are where the chains hook to.

Overkill depends on where you drive. If you go off road then frame mounts would be good, if just smooth paved roads then that pocket mount will be enough. Frame mounts will not ding, bend or damage your bed rails either.

For that light of a TC maybe just get frame mounts up front, and then use bumper ties or the pocket ties in the back. There is no hard-fast rule

ykphil
Explorer
Explorer
Jlschuma wrote:
Where do you put the S hook. I have HappiJac jacks and unless I take them off I don’t have a hole to go through

I have Reico Jacks, i removed the lower Bolt securing the jack, and put an S hook in its place.

2014 Travel Lite 770P https://imgur.com/gallery/e6NHFJq

Jlschuma
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you put the S hook. I have HappiJac jacks and unless I take them off I don’t have a hole to go through
2000 Toyota Tundra

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I would give Hallmark a call and see what they recommend.

Jlschuma
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing there. I don’t even see holes where they were removed. I like the idea of removing a bolt from the jack and hooking there. Maybe I can mount a I bolt there.
2000 Toyota Tundra

Bedlam
Maybe you have one of the unique mounting systems on the camper.

Does the bottom of front camper wall have plate extending forward? I have seen a slightly raised front mounting plate that bolts through the truck bed which then tucks the camper plate under it. The only tie downs were in the back and were angled to pull the camper forward into that "keeper".

Do have any eyelets up front that sit low and inboard of the camper wings? These usually had an access door from inside the camper so you could attach turnbuckles from the inside OEM bed anchor points to the camper.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Jlschuma wrote:
I picked up a pop up truck camper and it only has tie downs mounted on the rear. Does anyone use the jack brackets? If so do you do it by keeping the jacks on the camper? I put in some stake pocket mounts for the camper since it is light but may go to a differ t mounting option. I had Torklift on my old truck but think they are overkill for a 1200 pound camper.

Certainly overkill for a 1200 pound TC. Never seen any TC without front tie down points but I guess they are out there. Today, anything is possible.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ykphil
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the bottom bolt from each jack so I can attach an S hook to the corner metal plate and tie the turnbuckles. Much more secure and less possibility of breakage than using the normal ring on the camper itself. Whenever I need to take the camper off my the truck, which is very rare, I just put the bolt back for added safety.