Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What;s Wrong With My RAM Truck????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What;s Wrong With My RAM Truck????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is the fan that is the issue trying to diagnose the AC is just over complicating it. It would do the same thing on heat. Could be switch, wiring, resistor or fan motor. Time to get the meter out. I am leaning towards the fan motor as a bad resistor will typically allow full fan speed but nothing lower.

This is assuming manual hvac controls and no auto climate control and the fan is not running. But not necessarily clear from the OP.

* This post was edited 08/28/19 07:29am by mich800 *

Moser

Derry, NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same year truck, the problem that is common with those is the door to recirculate the air will break. My fan worked fine, however there was insufficient cooling, thought it needed recharging, had it checked and that was fine. I came across other people having this issue, I checked the door and found mine had broken and was not allowing the air through. I removed the door and it has worked perfect since. Plan on replacing it someday. It is easy to check, remove the glovebox and you will be able to see the door. You should be able to see if it moves by putting the AC on max.

2005 Ram 3500 CTD
2018 Heartland Prowler 25P RLS
A wonderful wife and two great kids
Camping is our favorite family time together

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Iraqvet05 wrote:

I had a 2500HD that would stop blowing cold air at stop lights and at low speeds. The blower fan would still blow but the air was hot. It took me a few weeks of research but I found out the fan clutch had failed, causing the evaporator to freeze up.
I cannot fathom how that could be.
A clutch that doesn't engage with enough force (normal wear failure) will not pump enough freon to freeze the evap.

One that has locked up (Not a normal occurance) will be much more likely to freeze at highway speed... In fact most systems cannot make a evap freeze at idle. They just do not pump enough freon fast enough for this to occur.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moser wrote:

I have the same year truck, the problem that is common with those is the door to recirculate the air will break. My fan worked fine, however there was insufficient cooling, thought it needed recharging, had it checked and that was fine. I came across other people having this issue, I checked the door and found mine had broken and was not allowing the air through. I removed the door and it has worked perfect since. Plan on replacing it someday. It is easy to check, remove the glovebox and you will be able to see the door. You should be able to see if it moves by putting the AC on max.
I would agree to that possibility, except it works great for long stretches of time. That points to a freeze up. Possible other parts would be resistors etc... But the same detractor from that thinking is again.... It works great for long periods of time.

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blend door failure was a recurring theme for a while on the 2nd and 3rd gen RAMs but I thought they were a "broke and stayed broke" problem, not one that works for a while and then doesn't.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

mustang071

Plano, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all of you for the replies.

The Dodge Tech (thinking a freeze-up) suggested low Freon and serviced the system. Then said if the problem continued to stop and let it sit for awhile before restarting. We did all that, but it had no positive effect. And, as far as I can tell, the blower motor continues to run but the airflow diminishes to almost nothing at low RPM.

The strange thing to me is that it doesn't do this any other time except the very end of our trips. Why wouldn't it happen when we started out or during the entire excursion of two weeks?

Stan & Ann-
with "Ranger Jack", the Guardian Sheltie

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Change your ignition switch cartridge. My 2004.5 had similar problems with erratic blower operation and that fixed it. Rather than using relays, Dodge routed the fan wiring and current through the ignition switch which overheats and ruins the contacts. The switch is less than $40 on Amazon and it takes less than an hour to install without special tools, very easy. There are some good videos on YouTube showing you how.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Sounds like low freon level is causing the evaporator coil to freeze up.
It will be worse when humidity is high or eng speed is low.

Highly unlikely. Low freon level would result in poor performance. The system blows cold. Therefore, the freon level is perfect, or close to it.

You may be on to something with the icing of the evaporator idea though. The system should have some sort of switch (probably a low pressure or temp) that cuts the compressor off to prevent this.
In my mind this is the most likely cause. The OP can test his theory out without any tools or even lifting the hood. When it happens, simply turn the AC of for a few mimutes. If it is iceing, then it will melt, then work perfectly when it is turned back on, until it ices up again.

I am not sure if this is a orfice tube or expansion valve system.

If it is an expansion valve system, then that may be acting up.
This is a more involved fix though.

I would look for a compressor cutout switch. They are cheap at 15.00 or so, and easy (5 min) to install.

Not only is it likely, the exact thing happened to me last summer.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beergardens wrote:

It isn’t clear in the original post whether the blower motor actually quits running, or if it continues to run but the airflow diminishes. Determining this is a key part of diagnosing this.

This.
It's either the blend door or freeze up, unlikely the fan just quits working specifically, not randomly and as evidenced by the OPs description, measures to create a vacuum in the truck to increase airflow work.
If the compressor quits working, the fan still blows air through the vents. But if the comp is cutting out then it will not be cold air.
Or, it's a super electromagnetic force in the exact spot on 287 that is kinda like a mini area 51 phenomena of super secrete alien research.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Iraqvet05 wrote:

I had a 2500HD that would stop blowing cold air at stop lights and at low speeds. The blower fan would still blow but the air was hot. It took me a few weeks of research but I found out the fan clutch had failed, causing the evaporator to freeze up.
I cannot fathom how that could be.
A clutch that doesn't engage with enough force (normal wear failure) will not pump enough freon to freeze the evap.

One that has locked up (Not a normal occurance) will be much more likely to freeze at highway speed... In fact most systems cannot make a evap freeze at idle. They just do not pump enough freon fast enough for this to occur.

Maybe freezing up was the wrong effect but the mechanical fan clutch in that truck was weak. On hot days, at stop lights that radiator fan clutch should have been screaming but it wasn't....no air flow over the condenser meant the condenser couldn't conduct the proper heat exchange and the result was warm air in the cab.
Similar thread here...fan clutch failure

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What;s Wrong With My RAM Truck????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS