cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nightmare Repair

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
While we were driving from Trinidad, CA to Susanville, CA in our 2001 Dutch Star DP, we experienced some engine over heating about 2/3 of the way. On several occasions, I was able to pull over let the engine return to normal and continue for a short distance. After we traversed the hills and started level or downhill I was able to keep the engine temperature normal by driving in 4th gear at 2000 RPM. At Susanville I bought a window fan and placed it in front of the radiator and plugged it in. (It fit between the grill and radiators). I located the closest Freightliner service facility and called them. I was advised that they would get me in the next day for repairs. The next day, Thursday August 15th, I drove to Reno/Sparks NV to the Freightliner facility without incident-temperature remained normal. I arrived there at 10:30 AM. We unloaded some clothes and turned the coach over them. They called later to tell me that they test drove the coach and verified it did in fact overheat. They indicated that they would have to diagnose the unit to determine the problem. I called to get an update and they informed me that we were number four in line for the diagnostic team to get it in and that would happen Tuesday August 20th. I called Tuesday afternoon to get an up-date and learned that we were in the number two spot. They did get it in Wednesday the 21st and called me to give me the information and I gave them the go ahead for the repair. They indicated they had the necessary parts and we could pick up the coach on Friday. Friday came and went and it was not ready. We kept getting revised completion dates that stretched until Friday the 23d. That did not happen but we were told it would be done Saturday around 11:00. We finally checked out of the hotel and headed for the facility. After a couple of delays we were finally told that it would not be ready until Monday, August 26th early morning. We could not get a room where were staying so spent several hours finding a place to stay. Because we travel with Molly, our Border Collie availability of places is limited. We finally got the last non-smoking, pet friendly, room available. Monday morning, August 26th around 8:30 AM they called to say there was another delay. We stayed in the motel room until check out time and drove to the repair facility. To my surprise the work was done. It took about a half hour to get the paperwork done and pay the bill. We drove about 200 miles from Sparks, NV to Tonopah, NV. Twice I had to pull over to let the engine cool down. It got hotter than normal and I stopped before it over heated. I did not let it get to the warning light and beep. I believe I still have an issue with the cooling fan not working properly. I may continue to the Phoenix area to see if I can find a shop that can actually make the repair.
You cannot imagine all we went through cancelling reservations, loosing deposits, missing seeing friends and family we were scheduled to see. We ended up cancelling our visit to Yosemite in an attempt to get back on schedule, however, the constant delays and missed completion dates has completely destroyed the efforts we made to meet family, who planned a vacation to be with us at the Grand Canyon.
I hope that anyone driving a MH with a Freightliner chassis never needs service in the Reno, NV area.
31 REPLIES 31

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
winniman wrote:
Good reason to inspect and clean your rad BEFORE the trip. Changing air filter etc, inspecting rad should be done before you embark on a long trip in an old rv. Just saying. Would have saved you a lot of headaches.

Apparently you are not familiar with the side mounted radiator on a Spartan chassis. Even cleaning the radiator is a several day job if you do it yourself, which includes removing the hydraulic oil coolers, then removing the charge air cooler, and THEN you can clean out the radiator. Not an easy job.

Didn't get any easier doing it on the side of the road, or broke down somewhere.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
Good reason to inspect and clean your rad BEFORE the trip. Changing air filter etc, inspecting rad should be done before you embark on a long trip in an old rv. Just saying. Would have saved you a lot of headaches.

Apparently you are not familiar with the side mounted radiator on a Spartan chassis. Even cleaning the radiator is a several day job if you do it yourself, which includes removing the hydraulic oil coolers, then removing the charge air cooler, and THEN you can clean out the radiator. Not an easy job.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

winniman
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the OP's diesel is not complicated, but that is not true for all of them. Here's what it looks like under the hood of my 2014 Chevy Silverado Diesel Duramax HD 6.0. When it comes to repairs .... well ... it just goes to the shop. Way too much for under there for me. Not to mention all the electronics and GPS, and On-Star, and the Digital Information Center, and internet capabilities, and ... and ... and ...
Um... simple? Maybe for some, but not this old bird.

By the way, I'm glad the OP responded back with a resolve for his solution. And I'm glad he's back on the road. We don't always hear back from folks on these threads when they finally get their resolves and too many times we are left wondering what was the real problem. So, my thanks to H & E for the follow up response.

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
Quick up-date.

We ended up taking it to Vangard Truck Repair near Flagstaff, AZ. It did not take them long to find the problem. As suggested earlier it was a plugged radiator. They got the cooling fan working properly and sent the radiator out for cleaning. Radiator shop found other issues after cleaning. We now have a new radiator. Vangard did have to correct the tank installation that Velocity in Sparks, NV did. The tank was missing mounting bolts that allowed the tank to vibrate into the engine cover latch. That caused the latch to bind. The difference between the two repair facilities is amazing.

We are now back on the road with a well running coach.

By the way the Sparks Velocity facility did offer to make additional repairs at their Phoenix area facility at no charge. They said they would call the Phoenix facility to make the arrangements and call us back-which they never did.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you flush the radiator? Since you had a leaking coolant tank, is the mixture in the radiator correct? Did you have the radiator pressure tested/filled? You may have a bubble in the system and it needs to be burped.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

lucky13
Explorer
Explorer
try clear the or change the air filter, then wash out the radiator front and rear, spray cleaner on the radiator front and back then wash out, should clear up the verheating problem

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
They checked on how fat your wallet was.

Rgtopda
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you used a credit card I would dispute the charges and stop payment.
RGTOPDA
(Jimmy Buffett Fan)
2003 Newmar Dutch star
36 ft. Gulf Breeze Fl.

Bruce_Brown
dodge guy wrote:
Obviously you haven't seen or worked on late model diesels! Complicated they are as to the operating system. However the OP's issue should be a simple one!

Correct. New diesels are more complicated (I own a 2016 Super Duty diesel, open the hood and you'll see complicated!), the OPs is about as simple as it gets! :B

H & E wrote:
Here is an up date to information.

Chassis is Freighliner with CAT 3126 Engine, 58K miles

The diagnostic team recommended that the cracked coolant tank be replaced.( I had already ordered a new tank and it is waiting for me at the next planned stop) (I did wrap the cracked area with fiberglass in an attempt to keep it going and it was working for several hundred miles) The water pump belt be tightened. The air cleaner be replaced. All of that was done. Fee for diagnostic activities was $300.00. I do not know what all they checked.

Total cost for this fiasco was just shy of 4K for repair and hotel and meals out. Taking it back to the place that screwed us is not an option. It appears that they do not have the talent/expertise to make the correct repair.

On several occasions I told them the cooling fan was not coming on. I even asked them to order another fan control unit as I thought that was probably the issue. They said when we did something (I don't remember the term he used) to check the fan it worked. They did mention checking the fan clutch.

We have re-planned our trip to go to Phoenix. I will contact Massey to see about a correct fix.

Yikes - this sounds like a 100% ripoff. If they thought a cracked tank, a new air filter, and tightening a belt was going to fix the issue obviously they aren't too good at their jobs. And a $300 charge for the "Team" to come up with that??? I think they only thing the "Team" came up with was a plan to take your money.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an up date to information.

Chassis is Freighliner with CAT 3126 Engine, 58K miles

The diagnostic team recommended that the cracked coolant tank be replaced.( I had already ordered a new tank and it is waiting for me at the next planned stop) (I did wrap the cracked area with fiberglass in an attempt to keep it going and it was working for several hundred miles) The water pump belt be tightened. The air cleaner be replaced. All of that was done. Fee for diagnostic activities was $300.00. I do not know what all they checked.

Total cost for this fiasco was just shy of 4K for repair and hotel and meals out. Taking it back to the place that screwed us is not an option. It appears that they do not have the talent/expertise to make the correct repair.

On several occasions I told them the cooling fan was not coming on. I even asked them to order another fan control unit as I thought that was probably the issue. They said when we did something (I don't remember the term he used) to check the fan it worked. They did mention checking the fan clutch.

We have re-planned our trip to go to Phoenix. I will contact Massey to see about a correct fix.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
timmac wrote:
Diesels are so complicating and costly to repair, glad I have a gas motorhome..

They can be expensive, complicated they are not.

I have both a gas farm tractor and a diesel farm tractor. I have been fighting my gasser for 2 years now. I think I may have finally fixed it last Saturday. We'll see.

As Larry Cad noted, there are only a few very simple things that could/should have caused the OPs issue. Like the others, I sure would like to know what the shop did - and didn't, do.

Obviously you haven't seen or worked on late model diesels! Complicated they are as to the operating system. However the OP's issue should be a simple one!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
timmac wrote:
Diesels are so complicating and costly to repair, glad I have a gas motorhome..

They can be expensive, complicated they are not.

I have both a gas farm tractor and a diesel farm tractor. I have been fighting my gasser for 2 years now. I think I may have finally fixed it last Saturday. We'll see.

As Larry Cad noted, there are only a few very simple things that could/should have caused the OPs issue. Like the others, I sure would like to know what the shop did - and didn't, do.

Way to go on the tractor! It's about time! ๐Ÿ™‚
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Bruce_Brown
^^^ And I'm thinking maybe a 90-95% chance that would take care of the OPs issue.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910