cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learn about solar for rv's

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions about books for the novice DIY solar installer?

I have searched but I don't get much from the subjects I try and I would like to learn a lot more than how to use my Deltran 15 watt trickle charger.

I am interested in series or parallel setups, controller features, wiring, mounts. I have looked at several big brand components but I'd like a Solar 101 book. I want to learn the basics of solar.

By Solar 101, I mean basic, like English 101 or Dumbbell English.

I did find a S&B solar supply store near me where I can actually see and pick up and feel what I am learning about.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
25 REPLIES 25

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my stuff from Renogy. I found their techs to be knowledgeable and most importantly really patient, especially Tylor. Their help was great especially since the written instructions were pretty much nonexistent.
I glad I did the project.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solar is not as simple as some people would like you to believe.
Reading about it is a great idea. It will save you some money.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't learn anything unless you can measure stuff. You get some sort of solar set-up, but then you have to see what it does or not do by measuring. Otherwise you are not going to learn very much.

I already had my Trimetric when I first got solar, and I was used to checking things with my DMM. I also knew what the numbers I was seeing meant.

You can measure all day, but if you don't know what the significance of those numbers is, you are wasting your time.

So it is not just about solar, it is about battery charging, battery specifications, etc.

This is where people on here differ. Some like to get into the weeds and get the whole story; others just want to go camping and get home without anything going wrong.

Or you could say, if you got home ok, that was your measurement!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Guessing is a bad habit to develop.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Disagree with the Bishop and you’re a smart aleck? Hmmm.

“I guess I already know all I need to know about solar.”
Bishop knows everything. Hmmm. Seems like that what he was accusing others of...knowing everything.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the AM Solar website. There's some good reading there but bear in mind that they are in the business of selling you things. Never the less I think there's some good solar education there. Worth looking at.
-Mark.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I like to "Learn by doing". A couple of hundred dollars (or less) will get a usable basic kit which will let you learn about the fun of solar and economic choices. I am not smart enough to get such things perfect the first try. I enjoy the trying and learning. There are too many variables including cost, limitations, intended use, storage capacity, etc. for the one size fits all option. I would be bored to death if I paid an "expert" to set me up.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I don't know squat about solar systems and the equipment involved in RVs.

I guess I already know all I need to know about solar. The sun shines, the panels collect the energy and the wires transmit it to the batteries.

It really is that simple.

Determine how much money you're willing to spend, that will lead you to number of watts available to charge your batteries. Like everything else in life, cheapest is usually not best quality, but neither is most expensive.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
D.E. Bishop,

Do an energy audit. From that determine the size of battery bank. Then design a system that will recharge the bank while running the parasitic loads.

Or--you can just slap on 600 watts of panels--which will handle almost all loads except for running the roof air conditioner.
My first solar purchase was a battery monitor so I could better understand my power requirements and I did not want the add one update/improvement at a time approach and I did not want to be on the roof tilting panels.

Next was the roof layout with different sized solar panels and the effect of evil producing shadows from roof appliances like A/Cs. While this led to a variety of options I decided on 3X 250W panels raised 6" above the roof and some roof items. Anytime the sun is above 10 degree elevation no shadows and with some rig orientations no shadows on the panels period.

While I have an electrical background I had no prior solar experience. Research provided the information I wanted.

Holding up your credit card is a good option if and only if it's a good and knowledgable installer and to many are not.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bobby_F
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly recommend the Will Prowse book already shown above, plus any of his Youtube videos found here - https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse/videos .

Knows his stuff, communicates it well, aims many of his lessons at beginners. Plus, he's enthusiastic, which makes him fun to watch.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I did a Google search for DIY solar books and found a couple of dozen books including one from the 'For Dummies' folks.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
By the way I'm 79 years old and I have been retired for 24+ years, longer than most of you have been members or even smart allecks.

I'll just seek some pros for help.
I'm not quite sure what to make of these comments.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I “slapped” 300. I wish I’d slapped 500 which would have fit.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
D.E. Bishop,

Do an energy audit. From that determine the size of battery bank. Then design a system that will recharge the bank while running the parasitic loads.

Or--you can just slap on 600 watts of panels--which will handle almost all loads except for running the roof air conditioner.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.