cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing debris from slide out

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Have been searching for a way to remove debris such as twigs and leaves from the top of the slide out without hauling a ladder with me. I do not have a awning cover on the slide out, was hoping to find a brush or other tool - any suggestions?

thanks
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition
15 REPLIES 15

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
A leaf blower works great if you're into lugging one with you. Just as long as you're not the guy who wants to hit the road at 7AM and fires the thing up at 6, right before running the stab jacks up with the impact gun, but after taking down the bug zapper that buzzed and popped the entire night.

I was beside that guy last October. He also had to blow the falling leaves off every sq. ft. of his site onto the road and adjacent sites every 2 hours for the entire weekend. Kind of a losing battle in the middle of a state forest in October.

Serves to remind one of why they like boondocking, so it can be a good thing.
They do that to give people like you something to gripe about on RV forums - as opposed to having something useful to contribute. And as someone mentioned, they bring a battery powered leaf blower so maybe you can try boating.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a ladder on ours, but I still carry a 6โ€™ step ladder.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
A leaf blower works great if you're into lugging one with you. Just as long as you're not the guy who wants to hit the road at 7AM and fires the thing up at 6, right before running the stab jacks up with the impact gun, but after taking down the bug zapper that buzzed and popped the entire night.

I was beside that guy last October. He also had to blow the falling leaves off every sq. ft. of his site onto the road and adjacent sites every 2 hours for the entire weekend. Kind of a losing battle in the middle of a state forest in October.

Serves to remind one of why they like boondocking, so it can be a good thing.

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
I made a bush similar to the link above using old boom handles, a 45 deg pvc connector and a wall paper brush. Works OK.
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Ladder here too along with a snow brush. I use the Harbor Freight version of the Little Giant. Most of the time it's $109 with a coupon. Once or twice I've seen it for $99. Great ladder for the price. Very sturdy but a bit heavier than the telescoping ladder someone else linked to earlier in the thread.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have stood on the tailgate but usually carry a ladder, the simplest method is the easiest. An awning or topper as it is called would be a good choice also.

The only time I have had to clean my slide roof was after a snow fall or a heavy leaf fall. A push broom works well.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Worx rechargeable leaf blower that I bought at Home Depot. We use it to keep all that nature stuff off our patio rug and they have a gutter cleaning attachment that we use for the slide top. Works great, lightweight and breaks down very small.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œCollapsible ladder and a leaf blower. Follow up with a big towel if wet.โ€

X2, Coleman.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
With our previous 5th wheel, I carried a five foot ladder to stand on and hose off the slide. Our current TT has a ladder so I climb up onto the roof to hose it off. It gives me good opportunity to inspect the roof as well. I could stand on the ground and hose it off but leaves often donโ€™t like to give up their spot wet or dry.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
I am also new to having a slide. I donโ€™t yet have a slide topper. What Iโ€™ve been doing is to climb the ladder on the back of the camper, then clear off the top of the slide using a broom.

Our last camper didnโ€™t have a slide or ladder. To get on the roof, I used a Little Giant ladder. Still bring it along because there are times when a ladder comes in handy. For example, you might find it handy if there is a problem with your awning.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Collapsible ladder and a leaf blower. Follow up with a big towel if wet.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife can climb the ladder on back of trailer and see the top of our slide out, if there is something on it, then it is up to me to take care of it. We bought a ladder to take with us, but seldom do in the summer months.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could do what I do for snow removal on the stick and bricks, push broom head on a telescoping handle.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are concerned, I would suggest you either get a slideout awning or a collapsible ladder. I have a ladder and find it very useful. Clicky