cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couch to recliners

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of going full-time and wondering how easy to switch them out. Or, is it even recommendable? Looking at a entertainment style double recliner with center console with option for reclining. How much should I expect to pay and who would you recommend? Also, is there a market for the sofa after it is removed?

Just looking for advise......
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
12 REPLIES 12

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
PhilipB wrote:
We just swapped ours out (toy hauler). Purchased from RecPro. Ours is 94" and was a little over $1000. Arrived in 3 pieces and is designed to fit through RV doors. It was simple to install.

We will probably give away the old couch. It built pretty light.

How do you like your Recpro? I'm really interested in installing one.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We just swapped ours out (toy hauler). Purchased from RecPro. Ours is 94" and was a little over $1000. Arrived in 3 pieces and is designed to fit through RV doors. It was simple to install.

We will probably give away the old couch. It built pretty light.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced our sofa with a Lambright Dutchboy wall-hugger theater seating unit from Glastop Furniture. We got the Power Recline option. This is the most comfortable RV seating I've ever used.

I mounted a 32" tv under the overhead cabinets opposite the recliners and installed a wireless HDMI unit connected to the satellite receiver, so I didn't have to re-wire the entertainment system. It works great. No more 'crick' in my neck while watching tv. Only problem is, it's so comfortable I go to sleep. Oh well, I don't miss much.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We removed all the rv furniture, theater seats and 2 rockers. We replaced with lazyboy recliners and a desk for work,space. The rv furniture was flaking and were space wasters as well.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

BUB1988
Explorer
Explorer
We swapped out sofa bed for two recliners. The only thing we had to do was remove the back of the sofa to get it out if the door. Make sure you measure for wall clearance with the new setup. We bought our recliners from Hudson Furniture.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Folks swap out RV furniture quite often. If you can get the "old" out of the door, you will have it licked!

There are folks who have knocked the Thomas Payne furniture, but we have 2 pull-out sofa beds and one dual seating theater seat with power recliner, also has built in USB power supplies. We've had this camper for almost a year now, and we've had no issues with the furniture. Thomas Payne is, more than likely, the furniture you'll get in a new RV. The nice thing about the Thomas Payne RV furniture is the fact it all comes in parts, making everything easy to get in and out of the RV door. The parts just snap or hook together.

But, there is nothing wrong with getting true house-hold furniture either from a furniture store. You just have to make sure the item will fit through your RV door, make the necessary turns, and be able to position in the right spot. We swapped out two rocker and the kitchen table in our previous TT for a true 3 seater, recliner couch. The backs removed, making it possible to get inside the camper. But when we sold the camper, I left the couch in it.

Here again, if you can get the old out, you can replace with anything that fits through the door. Do your homework first ... lots of measuring if you purchase from a furniture store or on-line.

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
We have replaced all the furniture in ours over the years. Added a third captain's seat and two Lazyboy recliners, a desk and a small chest of drawers. Easiest was the slide side as you can just run it out to get underneath to get to the bolts. The other side you need to reach/crawl into the basement compartments. Leave all the seat belts in place-you'll need them over time. Be certain you bolt/screw things back down one way or another. We left the recliners loose, and just use the seat belts to hold them down when traveling.
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach had 2 sofas , one in each slide , facing each other .
They worked ok for us we could each lay on a couch and watch TV
but they were not the most relaxing seats to just sit on .
I removed the one behind the driver and installed 2 Euro style
recliners with separate foot rests .
We can relax better in those .
They are not bolted down so when we travel the foot rests are
stowed upside down on them and the seat belts secure it all in
place .
So in our case we still have a sofa bed and 2 recliners .

What ever you decide to install be sure you can get it inside .
I had to disassemble the couch and the recliners to get them
through the door . That was ok but some furniture may not
disassemble enough .

Ray

Bruce_Brown
It depends on if your couch is in the flat floor side or the raised floor side - we have one of each.

One the flat floor side it would be a simple, easy job. On the raised floor side it would be a challenge. Do-able, but a challenge.

I just looked; it appears you have the 3724 floor plan with the couch in the flat floor side. It's a big couch, so getting it out the door might be an issue. Once thats done, getting the new one in the door shouldn't be a problem.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
Lazy boy makes just you want, the back comes off so it will go in the door I did it a few years ago and listed the couch on the internet and sold the next day.
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Picked up a perfect condition electric dual recliner for $100 a while back.

Once we figured out how to remove the seat backs, it was easy to get it in the door.

If you aren't using the sofa-bed, it's a great swap. I wouldn't count on selling it for much.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I plan the same furniture swap out sometime later this year-- I'm too interested in what people have used.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard