cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd tire wear

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
What would cause this odd wear on only the outer tread blocks? Inner tread blocks are smooth/round. These are the only two tires on the trailer that show this type of wear.

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
16 REPLIES 16

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
Suspension bushing need replaced, axle is walking around from worn out bushings

I am much more likely to believe this scenario than balance, although it's weird if it's isolated to one side.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
97chevor wrote:
What kind of trailer is this? Semi? Tandam axle? duals? Spread? Looks like your dragging the tires through right turns.

Yes semi trailer. Was being used by a friend of mine who delivers camper shells out West for Leer/SnugTop. Relatively light loads for a semi.

Considering this info, Iโ€™d say itโ€™s a combination of out-of-balance trailer tires, worn out shocks (do semi trailers have shocks?), and over inflation for the load. It looks like all the weight was being carried on the center crown of the tire, which would have been flattened out more with a heavier load.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be into a truck shop at least for an opinion.
What does the other side look like? Pic?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Appreciate all the feedback but it seems to be all over the place as far as what would cause this.
That's usually how internet answers are.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the feedback but it seems to be all over the place as far as what would cause this.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
97chevor wrote:
What kind of trailer is this? Semi? Tandam axle? duals? Spread? Looks like your dragging the tires through right turns.

Yes semi trailer. Was being used by a friend of mine who delivers camper shells out West for Leer/SnugTop. Relatively light loads for a semi.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
What would cause this odd wear on only the outer tread blocks?

The cupping (or feathering) uneven wear pattern on both edges along with much less wear in the middle is usually an indication of significant under-inflation.

How OLD are those tires ?
Looks to me like they might be PAST due for a new set.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suspension bushing need replaced, axle is walking around from worn out bushings
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Took RV for tires and had balanced. Did not drive RV for long time and ended up at another shop to have checked due to vibration. Guy comes back in office with a huge handful of wheel weights and asks who balanced my tires as they have absolutely no idea what they are doing! I know they were my weights as I had painted rims and they had paint on them, all of them.

Use this shop exclusively now for alignments and such, RV will not fit in bay so they align it in the parking lot. Also do tire shaving for out of round
tires and they are reasonably priced. Alignment is $59

West Coast Alignment, Ft Myers FL.

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Carlisle tires.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Out of balance AND under inflated. It's a combination of both:

Here.

It is a combination of under inflation and cupping.

Cupping is caused by being out of balance (or) a result of bad shocks, bad struts. Read here. This explains a lot more.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
They are the same tire brand/size.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II