cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50amp power protector

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the portable 50amp power protectors. What brand are you using? What brand do I need to stay away from?
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate
12 REPLIES 12

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Hughes Power Watchdog 50 Amp EPO (EMS) device and it works with my RV Whisper monitoring system so I can see all of the Power Watchdog data over the internet on my phone. I also get email and text message alerts when I lose shore power or the park wiring is bad. I have a dog that stays behind in the RV sometimes so I really like getting alerted whenever I lose shore power, even before the temperature starts to rise in my RV.

I also have the Progressive Industries 50 Amp hardwired EMS that I installed years ago, but of course it only displays the data inside the RV on the display.

So I actually have two different 50 Amp Surge Protectors (one on the pedestal, and one hard wired). Double protection, I guess. I really just wanted to get power alerts over the internet, and that only became available this year with RV Whisper and Power Watchdog. No sense uninstalling the hardwired Progressive Industries EMS. The Power Watchdog and Progressive Industries get along just fine.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
Another vote for the Progressive Industries EMS system. Had mine for 2 years now and no problems

Dave

progressive vote here also.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two portables made by Progressive Industries.. The one I know the model of is the PT-50C If you read the specifications and what it protects against (Low and high voltage. among other things) the other one reads very much like it but is a bit lower in cost.. Either one of those would be my suggestion

My prefered is the HW-50C (hard wired)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
About 4 years ago I got a good deal on Camco's 50amp PD50. It's claimed to be water resistant. It was never submerged in water but it did hang from my MH while it was raining and it rained a lot last winter. When I connected it again, it started chattering after it's delayed startup. By then, I was on the other side of the MH involved with something else. I thought my neighbors were using a jig saw. When I figured out it was the protector and unplugged it, it's never worked again. I email Camco asking where to send it so it could be repaired. They told me there was no repair available and my investment in a surge protector was now worthless. I opened it up to find there was about a 1/2 cup of water in it that caused the problem. After it leaked in, there never was any sign of it being in there - couldn't leak out. I tried replacing the component that took the brunt of the damage with no luck.

That's my experience with the Camco product so I would recommend staying away from it. It only has a one year warranty and then it's worthless.

I started looking around and found the users of Progressive Industry's protectors saying they stood behind their products with a lifetime warranty. My next protector will be a Progressive product.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Is the surge circuit on the Progressive Industries EMS replaceable or have to be sent back to Progressive Industries to be replaced?
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Progressive Industries EMS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
we have this one.. we chose the permanent mount for convenience and for the remote monitoring ability. downside is getting at it should the need arise.
. us too.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Progressive Industries EMS system. Had mine for 2 years now and no problems

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've got a Progressive PT50X which replaced a SurgeGuard 50amp. The first SurgeGuard stopped working about a week out of warranty, no obvious reason why. They replaced it under warranty after a bit of a conversation.

The one that replaced the first one failed due to water intrusion into the case about a year after it was out of warranty. It shorted out and damaged my 90ยฐ dogbone when it did, although we didn't know it at the time. The converter failed shortly after that so perhaps it was damaged too, no way to tell. But I would never buy another SurgeGuard, or recommend anyone buy one.

The Progressive unit works great and has been trouble free for the last year.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have 2 different power protectors.

One is a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X model. Progressive PT50X, click here.

I also have a "Power Watchdog" by Hughes Autoformers. It's a 30 amp. Click here for Hughes Power Watch Dog. "Watchdogs" also come in 50 amp models. Follow the links.

I purchased the 30 amp Power Watch Dog about 2 weeks before we traded our last travel trailer for our current 5er. The TT was 30 amp, and the new 5er was 50 amp. I decided to go ahead and keep the 30 amp for those times we might have to plug the 50 amp trailer into a 30 amp receptacle. (Which we did at first at home).

We used the 30 amp only once at a campground over the last year, we've been fortunate to have had all 50 amp site hook-ups, but I'm hanging onto the 30 amp Watchdog for those ... "Just in Case" events.

On my previous camper, the first protector I got was a 30 amp SurgeGuard. It was plugged in 24x365, non stop, unless on the actual road. It ran for one year and then died. I don't know if it took a power hit, or what, but it died. SurgeGuard would not replace it, and the thing was over $100 when we bought it. I then got a 30 amp portable Progressive for under $100. It worked OK until someone stole it. My third 30 amp was the Hughes Power Watchdog.

I have since purchased a bicycle cable lock I keep attached to the 50 amp Progressive. They aren't cheap by any means. So, I'm protecting my protector!

Meanwhile, I've had good results with my Progressive Industries.

Oh, since I'm sharing, I'll share one other thing I did in my last camper after the first Progressive Industries 30 amp was stolen. I removed the panel where the electric cord was stored so I could access it. I then cut the umbilical cord and put another plug on it. I then attached the opposite end plug back on the original umbilical cord. I now could plug in the power protector, in-line, but not exposed to the outside for theft. If anything ever happened, all I needed to do was plug in the original cord and I was back in business, or plug in another protector if it ever died. After this was set up, I never had issues again. I kept the protector when the trailer was sold, and simply plugged the umbilical cord back in. The new owner can get their own protector:

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Power Watchdog with Auto Shutoff

Hughes has come out with a new Power Watchdog With Auto Shutoff that appears to be worth a look.
The Portable one can give you the best of both worlds. Easy to install for people scared of putting in a hardware unit and the ability to see voltage amps and faults on your phone.

Also

Progressve Industries EMS

Surge Guard
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we have this one.. we chose the permanent mount for convenience and for the remote monitoring ability. downside is getting at it should the need arise.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle