cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sacramento to San Diego

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I want to go from Sacramento to San Diego pulling a 35 ft fifth-wheel. All the maps on the computer say to take I-5 all the way to San Diego. I would prefer not to do that.
Would it be easier to get to Bakersfield, take hi-58 to Barstow then take I-15 to San Diego.
Or take I-5 to Santa Clarita, then take Hi-14 to Hi-138 to I-15.
Or is there another better route?
19 REPLIES 19

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
My son and his family are moving from Las Vegas to San Diego. While it is a bit shorter to San Diego, I realize the traffic will hold us up. It was a straight shot and easier to go to Vegas. Oh Well. I am retired, and will take my time.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
One more thing about the 210, and this is important -- when you are northbound, and you are approaching Pasadena, get over to the right. The signage is terrible and it is easy to miss the the exit from the 210 north to the 210 north. (That is not a typo.)

Don't ask me how I learned that the signs provide almost no warning at that point.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 210 might be better. When it was first built, it was free-flowing all the time. Now it gets jammed up, just like all the other routes. Southbound gets bad around 3 pm, northbound is bad in the morning.

You probably already know this, but Google Maps has a feature where you can look at typical traffic on a particular route as of specified times. My kids know how to use that feature. I don't, unfortunately. But it helps us predict how bad the traffic is going to be.
About our trailer

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks profdant. I am convinced that the way heading south is not to take I-5 through LA. You sold me. I will find another way. I think the moderator has a way by taking I-5 to the I-210 and going to the I-15 to San Diego area.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sadly, the only good time is between 2 am and 4 am. I am not kidding. So, for example, if you head south into LA on the 5 at 1 pm, you will sail all the way to the 134 and then will usually crawl from there to the 605.

If you don't want to travel in the middle of the night, your best bet (from either direction) is to approach LA at around 10:30 am -- you will be clear of the mess around 1:30 pm.

On weekends, earlier in the day is always better. You'd think weekends would be lighter, but nope. The traffic is shifted to the afternoon and evening, but still lots and lots of cars.

If you do travel at 2 am, be aware that the bars close at that time, so watch the drunks. The good news is that everyone is texting all the time, so everyone drives like a drunk all the time.

If this sounds a little apocalyptic, it is. I live here. And until recently, I have been commuting back and forth to LA on the 5 for 30 years.

And when we drag our trailer through LA, and DW won't tolerate a 3 am trip, I leave the house at 10 am and hope for the best.

One more tip -- on the southbound 5, just after the 10 interchange, watch your lane selection -- it is easy to get shunted off onto the wrong freeway at that point if you are not paying careful attention to the signs.
About our trailer

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
What is the "best" time to drive thru LA? Heading South on I-5, I would guess that the time would be afternoon, around 1 pm or no later than 3 pm.
Heading North, is it around 9am?

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Hear that, I used to go 15/91/71/210/5 northbound and reverse it coming south but living close to the coast the only alternate I take now is the 5/57. It's too much hassle to drive that far out of the way to save 5 minuets over all.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
Did this trip a little bit ago. Took 5 the entire way and didn't hit any traffic except just around LA. Road conditions were excellent except on the north bound trip descending the grapevine where the number 3&4 lanes are just pot hole heaven.

Yea I have in the past tried going different routes and still had traffic issues and potholes in So Cali when I travel there often to see family I now just take the straight shortest route and head out at certain time to avoid the rush hour..

All the changing of highways and turns to go this way than back that way to avoid issues hardly ever works..

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Did this trip a little bit ago. Took 5 the entire way and didn't hit any traffic except just around LA. Road conditions were excellent except on the north bound trip descending the grapevine where the number 3&4 lanes are just pot hole heaven.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
rbp111 wrote:
The majority agrees with me. Timmac, I drove I-5 through LA one time with a older and smaller 5er. And never again.
I will go to Kramer's junction and take I-15.
Timeroll, no I plan on doing it in 2 days.
You know I was going to Vegas all the time. My son and his family lived there. Now he is moving to San Diego. It is shorter, but I think longer in time. we will see.

For me the only real difficult of I-5 is thru LA but all the exiting to this highway to that highway and than back to this highway than go south to this highway and such seems also like a pain in the a$$..

For me I like the one straight highway into SD even if the traffic sucks in certain areas..

dedmiston
If you take I-5, don't go through LA.

Either detour in Santa Clarita like you said or at the 210.

The 99 to 58 to 15 will be more interesting like you said. Plus this will avoid the Grapevine, which is stressful for a lot of drivers. If you do go over the Grapevine to Santa Clarita, make sure to avoid the hottest parts of the day. The heat takes its toll on the climb up to Tejon and on the downhill side to Castaic.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
The majority agrees with me. Timmac, I drove I-5 through LA one time with a older and smaller 5er. And never again.
I will go to Kramer's junction and take I-15.
Timeroll, no I plan on doing it in 2 days.
You know I was going to Vegas all the time. My son and his family lived there. Now he is moving to San Diego. It is shorter, but I think longer in time. we will see.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rbp111 wrote:
I want to go from Sacramento to San Diego pulling a 35 ft fifth-wheel. All the maps on the computer say to take I-5 all the way to San Diego. I would prefer not to do that.
Would it be easier to get to Bakersfield, take hi-58 to Barstow then take I-15 to San Diego.
Or take I-5 to Santa Clarita, then take Hi-14 to Hi-138 to I-15.
Or is there another better route?

Yes to hwy. 58 to I-15. I will drive 100 miles extra to avoid driving I-5 through L.A. Especially towing a th wheel. The time of the day you drive any where in Southern Calif. is critical. If possile avoid early morning commuter hrs. and late afternoon times when people are going home after work. An alternative but longer route would be I-5, hwy 58 ,I-15 , I-10 to Indio, hwy. 86 to I-8 then west to San Diego.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have some extra time, take 395 south from Tahoe. World-class scenery, lots to do.

But if you want to get to San Diego from Sacramento in one day, stick to the 5. Dull, bouncy, but faster.
About our trailer