Found this article interesting, thought I would share

MLive Old Growth Forests
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
4 REPLIES 4

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been to Warren Woods in almost 50 years, and my favorite spot for old growth is the Porkies. Thanks for sharing.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Been to them all except Warren woods. Michigan was densely forested until shipbuilding wiped out the forests. My wife and I are extremely lucky to own 50 acres of old growth forest south of Big Rapids, Michigan. It's not public land (obviously) and we use it (camp on it quite a bit). It abuts the Manistee National Forest. I think every logging company north of Grand Rapids wants to cut our trees. Not happening on our lifetimes.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What a sight our state must have been in the days before being conquered
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Hartwick Pine has 49 acres of old growth forest.

Much of Michigan's trees were harvested after the Great Chicago Fore in 1871. Lumbering slowed down after the turn of the century.

The areas that were harvested in the 19th century and have been left untouched since then have some very impressive trees. With the proper permits from the DNR you are allowed to cut a limited amount of timber on state land.

There are a few people in the UP actually harvesting second growth hardwoods. This is all "select cut" and no roads or trails are allowed to be cut to get to the wood.