cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pennsylvania Turnpike

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
This September we will be traveling the Pennsylvania Turnpike while pulling our 5er. What is the best way to deal with the payment of tolls?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
13 REPLIES 13

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
My EZ-Pass is from Va., there is no monthly fee.
I did have to go to the license plate mounted device as many of the booths wouldn't read my windshield mounted one, (especially NY).
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We had an I-Pass from Illinois for several years - no monthly charge but they will close the account if no activity in several years, not sure how many. We now have a NC Quick Pass which is also good for the all EZ-Pass states, the Georgia Peach Pass, and the Florida Sun Pass if you get the correct transponders. The NC QuickPass has no monthly fee until two years of inactivity then they charge $1.00/month.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need to research each authority individually (unless someone in a similar situations actually knows) because you can have different authorities in the same state that have different fees. You also have to be careful of the resident, non-resident differences as some do not charge monthly fee to residents of the state but do to non-residents.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
If you are an infrequent EZ-PASS user, make sure you get your account set up in a state that doesn't charge monthly fees so that your deposit doesn't get gradually depleted with monthly fees.

OK, good idea, but does anybody know where that is?
I keep hearing this and quite honestly, the tolls are what have stopped us from doing much in the east. Taxes are one (just one) of the reasons I left the megopolis so many years ago.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
The PA Turnpike gets really expensive if you are towing;
You will need an EZPASS or they will "Bill-by-Plate"; There
are places where there are NO toll booths;

Take I78 or I80 - no tolls
Gerry

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
Get an EZ-Pass from any state you choose. It just make life in the North-East easier. I cross PA a lot and always use I/80 it's not a bad road and there are no tolls.

If you are an infrequent EZ-PASS user, make sure you get your account set up in a state that doesn't charge monthly fees so that your deposit doesn't get gradually depleted with monthly fees.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I live in PA and avoid the Turnpike as much as possible. I80 & I68/70 have no tolls.

X2.Sometimes the pike is the most practical way to get somewhere.
But, I try to avoid it as much as possible.
The Turnpike commission is required to pay the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation 450 million every year to help fund road projects not related to the Turnpike.
That's almost half a billion dollars in tolls not being used for Turnpike maintenance.
And, whenever traveling in Pennsylvania, assume you will encounter road repair/maintenance and be prepared to sit in traffic.
You are usually not disappointed.
It's the nature of the beast.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I live in PA and avoid the Turnpike as much as possible. I80 & I68/70 have no tolls.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Get an EZ-Pass from any state you choose. It just make life in the North-East easier. I cross PA a lot and always use I/80 it's not a bad road and there are no tolls.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
You can use EZpass all over the northeast. Some places have a speed limit reader so you don't even need to slow down.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Pennsylvania and I use the EZ-Pass system. It is a transponder device that you put in your car / truck up near the rear view mirror. Once you get the device you register ALL of your license plates including RV plate. You can move the transponder to each car / truck that you have registered so you only need one device. You have to maintain a $35.00 balance in the EZ-Pass account.

Having the EZ-Pass provides two benefits 1 the tolls are less money then if you have them mail you the bill and two there is usually not any wait at the EZ-Pass lanes.

Also EZ-Pass is not just for Pennsylvania. It is accepted in multiple states and Toll Bridges. Below is a link to the Pennsylvania EZ-Pass website. It explains all the details and where you can use it.

PA EZ-Pass

Have a great trip!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a former 50 year plus resident of the Keystone, depending how far you are traveling the Pike, get your big checkbook out. Most of us always said "the Turnpike Commission should pay you" to drive this mostly outdated road.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Your plate is photographed and you're sent a bill otherwise you gotta pay at the toll booth. You can visit their website and it will answer all your questions.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE