cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP generators

Johnny_Hurryup
Explorer
Explorer
Roughly, how much propane does an LP generator use in say, a 12 hr period? I'm thinking of buying a Class C with the 6 cyl diesel and some of those coaches only carry 12 gal propane tanks,
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't recommend having a genset with a different fuel source than the your Class A, B or C as you will be refueling the propane WAY more often than you like. Having only 1 large fuel tank is easier and lasts much longer than the 2 separate sources. The genset is also rigged so that if your fuel tank drops below 1/4 tank the genset will quit. This prevents you from running out of fuel and being stuck out in the desert.
My 1st Class A was diesel and the genset propane. It has a large 100# propane tank and we still ended up driving the coach to a propane dealer way too often. We were camping 1 very hot weekend and had to run the generator the entire weekend so we burned through 100# in 48 hours.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We had an lp generator years ago. There is virtually no maintenance and no fuel to gum things up. Used about 1/2 to 1 lb/hr depending on load. The obvious advantage to a gas or diesel genset is that it draws from a much larger tank that's easier to fill.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
By what I read you probably want to avoid propane if you will be running the air conditioner extensively when off grid.

I carry a 700 watt portable propane generator just to keep the battery charged in extended conditions that prevent solar charging. If I want cool air 24/7 I am headed for utility power.

RandallBone
Explorer
Explorer
Hey I'm using a dual fuel propane generator that can operate up to 11 hours in 3.3 gallons.

The full capacity of the tank is 6.6 gallons and the engine power id 420cc. Switch to a dual fuel propane generator for ultimate efficiency.

MrWizard
LP is nice IF you don't drycamp/boondock in hot weather
our previous RV was a 34ft DP with 6200w LP onan

in hot weather we refilled the 27 gallon LP tank, every (3) days

i would say we averaged about 8 gallons of propane per day in 100* weather

the current RV is a 36ft Gas and using approx the same amount of fuel per day for A/C , battery charging etc.
this is with a 10 to 12 hrs of run time per day with A/C, MW cooking, battery charging

the difference being, the 75 gallon Gasoline tank, gives more days of use before going for more fuel
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Robert,

I assume your Class A is a diesel pusher?

You might be willing to use a gas genset if your motorhome's engine was gas, and hence fed by a large gas tank that also fueled the generator - like our Class C. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You do have a point. The quietest RV generator setup I've ever experienced was a Class A parked close to us once that was making only a slight very, very low level humming sound. I walked right up to within, maybe 5 feet of it, to find out what the quiet sound was - it was their amazing diesel generator. I assume it might have been a water-cooled generator and one of those diesel generators that turns at only a constant 1800 RPM, instead of 3600 RPM. Nice!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Try and find a diesel rig with a diesel generator. I love my Onan QuietDiesel 7500. Sips the diesel and very quiet! Don't know if I could ever switch to gas or LP genset. Guess I have been spoiled.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Positive Points

• Absolutely ideal for 2,000 watt loads, of 15 minutes or so once or twice daily
  • Almost zero maintenance
  • Oil stays crystal clear, spark plug clean
  • Never a problem with fuel going sour even after years in storage
  • Virtually no CO production
  • Exhaust smells sweeter.

Johnny_Hurryup
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all....I've been looking at Mercedes with Sprinter diesel chassis and all usually have LP generators (3600) watts. I assume the Ford transit diesel chassis is similar ,unless it has the V6 gasoline engine.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's the factory spec sheet for the 3600 VA Onan:

https://powersuite.cummins.com/sites/default/files/PS5/PS5Content/genset_specsheet/public/PDA-1399.p...

60 Hz model: no load 0.4 gph, half load 0.6 gph, full load 0.7 gph.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
About 15% more than a similar gasoline generator would use under the same load.

Seriously,

You have not given nearly enough information to be able to give you a meaningful answer.

What size generator?

Inverter or fixed speed?

What loads are you supporting?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Propane generators are quite thirsty. 3.44 gallons per hour is possible depending on the size of the generator and the load.

https://generatorpowersource.com/best-propane-generators/

A 4000 watt at 50% load may consume about 4.8 gallons in 10 hours.

Propane is a LOT harder to find especially for a fixed tank installation.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.