Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Coachman Freelander 26DS

riverboaterbill
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys,
We are considering moving from a fifth wheel to the class C Coachman in the subject line. I would really appreciate any remarks information or advice regarding this RV! We are not new to RVs but totally new to class C. Thanks in advance! Bill

2019 Coachman Freelander 26DS
2023 Winnebago Vista WFE29V
7 REPLIES 7

Imotay
Explorer
Explorer
Motorhome magazine reviewed this within the last year

I have the 2016 version. I added a few modification that I thought were missing. Curtain tracks to keep the rear bedroom private. I also put a set for the cabover as well so my daughter cold have her privacy. I went back to the factory in Indiana and had them install from swivel chairs. The passenger one is amazing and gives another seat and with the table that is between the driver and passenger, it makes a great work area.

The only thing that is a minus is the size of the bathroom. When we bough it I was a bit larger so using that and the shower were a real PIA. Now that I have lost some weight, it is much easier but still cramped. I think they could have done a better job on this.

My wife and I love it. The kids will not admit it but they do as well. Coachman seem to build a decent product and they use Azdel which is better than plywood

Nothing major wrong with it. The slide motor went out (but that was the motor not the install). Some of the outlet covers have broken and they use those outlets that are a total pain to deal with. Just minor stuff. Everything else are performed as it should. Great storage inside and out

I would recommend it but try out every system. Especially the bathroom. I took it for granted (yes it has a bathroom) and did not try to use it to test it out. I have become wiser in my time since I initially started.

This unit has a common floor plan with other mfg unit this size. We ended up with the Coachman because the sales guy at General RV told me about it after I commented that the Thor Quantum was too nice on the inside and I was afraid to cluck it up

The Hershey show is one stop shopping if you can make it

Good Luck

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Hershey RV show coming up next week, I recommend it if you can swing it. For a big purchase like a new Class C RV, the time and $ spent will pay off. We love the Class C lifestyle. I personally wouldn't want a folding bed that I can't use without the slide out. Our Minnie Winnie 31D (2017) is fully functional with all 3 slides in, very important for when we are camping incognito or just want to take a nap, sometimes while 1 of us is driving.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
riverboaterbill wrote:
I would really appreciate any remarks information or advice regarding this RV.

Bill,

Upfront, I don't have any experience with that specific RV, but I owned a 2014 Coachmen 28QB (3 years - 25K Miles) and now have a 2013 Coachmen 29QB (2 years - 20K miles). Both on a Chevy 4500 Chassis.

As was said, this is an entry level coach with corresponding quality.

I have made a few mods to each one that improved the "livability" for us.

I have NOT had any house construction or Chev chassis issues and would buy either one again.

Please PM me if I can help any more.

Tim

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2015 28QB has delivered 33k miles with no issues. We spend about four months a year in it and doesnโ€™t show any signs of wearing out or falling apart!
Gary

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Its an entry level RV with the build quality one would expect.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems to get high marks in the reviews I have read for an entry level RV.

On the best things about it is that you can get it on a Chevy Chassis.

A better ride,less noise and a larger driver and passenger area for more comfort and ease to get from there to the main area of the RV.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only things I would question is:
One thing I always suggest to new MH owners is to be aware of a lower rear overhang if you need to park it in your driveway. My rear hitch drags on my driveway apron once I load it up, which is all the time. When it was new and unloaded it just cleared it by 1/2". When I buy new tires I hope a larger tire will solve that. I have the room to move up 1" in diameter which will give me 1/2" in height which I hope will help.

MH's in general require a little more work to keep things quiet while enroute because you are riding inside the rv and not towing it. You don't hear pots n pans, A/C shrouds, stove tops and microwave trim-work rattling in fivers. Expect to be fussing with that stuff. I had to use plumbers tape on the screws for my interior AC plastic cover to keep them from loosening up. I used thin foam on the microwave trim and thicker foam on the stovetop.

I'm mentioning the last two things because its what I found when I went from trailers to MH's because we changed the way we use our rv's. We used trailers in campgrounds with hookups and smaller MH's for day trips and sleeping in non campground places. We now tend to go off the beat n path with the MH.
1. If you had to use that floorplan with the slides 'in' , would you be able to access the things you need ?

2. The queen bed is a folding queen which I do not think can be used unless the slide is deployed. That matters to some people that boondock overnight in rest areas or other places where they would like to remain more stealth.