cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why the large discrepancy in rv antifreeze prices?

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen prices as low as $2.50/gallon to as high as $15.00/gallon or more.

Is there this much difference in performance?
32 REPLIES 32

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
That add is full of bad information. In the context of this conversation, who cares what the code is? It's just part of the bad information.

By the way, you can find Peak RV antifreeze for much less on Amazon too.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
ereed52 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/PEAK-Marine-Antifreeze-50%C2%B0F-Guaranteed/dp/B07MBQ5YX3

Goto this Amazon page: Wrong picture and product title. Specifications for this item state: Engine Coolant / Antifreeze.

Per Peak, the product code is for their fresh water antifreeze, not an engine coolant. How that individual vendor is hawking it is on them, but has nothing to do with what that specific product was designed to do.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
ereed52 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/PEAK-Marine-Antifreeze-50%C2%B0F-Guaranteed/dp/B07MBQ5YX3

Goto this Amazon page: Wrong picture and product title. Specifications for this item state: Engine Coolant / Antifreeze.
THIS is the right answer!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prices are all over the place. Just bought Camco at True Value for $2.99 a gallon. Best price I've seen in a long time. I bought several cases.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

ereed52
Explorer
Explorer

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
steelhunter wrote:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-RV-Marine-Antifreeze/17179674

The stuff from Amazon costs a lot more because there's shipping, packaging & handling costs buried in the "free shipping" price. If anyone thinks there really is "free" shipping in this world, then pigs really can fly... :R

If you go to the right places, you can get the PG AF at a minimal cost above the retail store pricing on the cheapo ethanol-based version. Most people don't understand there's two types of AF and buy based on sticker price. I get the PG type at a nearby independent RV repair/parts shop at a cost slightly above retail stores or RV dealers that sell the ethanol-based version.

The propylene glycol antifreeze is the good stuff and a much better choice. Won't evaporate and dry out in toilet or p-traps, will help lubricate seals, won't taint plumbing lines, is non-toxic and is non-flammable.

If you look at a jug of it in a store, read the label for the contents. Sometimes it's hard to find or the print is small and hard to read.

FWIW, I always blow our lines out when winterizing. Easy to do and a lot less AF is needed.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Some RV antifreeze are ethanol (alcohol) based, some are propylene glycol based, some are a mix of the two. Ethanol is cheapest and propylene glycol is highest, normally.
And some stores just charge more.
Some people have concerns about alcohol and rubber seals.

Here is the correct answer. Now use the good stuff.

X2!
Proud father of a US Marine

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
HELLO!!!!

If anyone bothers to read the manufactures description of the product, they are BOTH fresh waste winterizing antifreeze for RV's, Boats, etc.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, I think there's some confusion here.

If this is for the Potable Water system in his RV, then the $2.58 should be used.

If it's for the engine in his RV (truck/car) then the 15.00 one should be used.

NEVER PUT THE $15.00 AntiFreeze in the RV Water System. It's poison and will make you very very ill if you drink the water after it's in the system!!!!

The "Pink" stuff is what's used in RV's to insure the pipes don't burst from freezing during the winter.

Josh

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP is comparing Fresh Water AND Motor antifreeze.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was just reading about a pair of shoes.. As I recall 25,000 dollar shoes.. Cost less tan 10 bucks to make 'em,...

The dealers charge what the market will bear. IN some markets 15/00 a gallon for a 1.00/gallon product .... Works.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The difference is shipping costs.
-- Chris Bryant

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Some RV antifreeze are ethanol (alcohol) based, some are propylene glycol based, some are a mix of the two. Ethanol is cheapest and propylene glycol is highest, normally.
And some stores just charge more.
Some people have concerns about alcohol and rubber seals.

Here is the correct answer. Now use the good stuff.