cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 fortest river 2250 with chevy

bob_shelton
Explorer
Explorer
i am thinking about buying one. it will be for me and my golden retiver. i would like all the pros and con . thanks
Bob & Shirley Shelton
6 REPLIES 6

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols writes:

- You might want to buy it built on only the heavier duty Chevy chassis ... the 4500 chassis instead of the 3500 chassis. The 4500 chassis will have the big 57 gallon gas tank for a great long range between fillups when traveling ... plus plenty of fuel on board when camped for running the built-in generator to provide air conditioing during expected or unexpected hot weather.

B> I don't believe I've seen any fairly recent Chevy MH that wasn't on a 4500. We have the 2016 2250 Sunseeker; it is on a 4500.

- The heavier duty Chevy chassis will also provide superior brake service and life because the brakes will be larger.

B> As above.

- The heavier duty Chevy chassis will also allow you to travel with all tanks full if you wish with no over-weight concerns.

B> As above.

- Do all the cabinet doors have gravity locks so they'll never fly open on the open road?

B> Snap-latches, yes. It requires a bit of a tug or a light yank to open the doors/drawers.

- Do alll the cabinet doors slide on steel tracks?

B> Yes. All are full length slides, meaning you have access to the backs of the drawers.

- Is the water pump easy to get at?

B> Not easy, but not difficult. With the slide in the out position, the front half of the mattress flips toward the bath - exposing the water tank and all the goodies behind/beside it.

- Are the grey and black tank valves connected to their handles by cables or steel rods? Steel rods is best.

B> Steel Rods.

- Can you disconnect the RV batteries with an easy to reach switch by the coach door?

B> On the wall to the left just off the floor.

- Does it come with a spare tire?

B> Ours didn't, but many of the newer models do. I looked at a 2018 at the RV show that had a bracket and a spare on the exterior back wall. With the length, there's not much room for a spare under the unit. Yet, in all the years we've been RVing and traveling, I've never had a flat.
That said, I carry a tire repair kit & compressor, as well as a bottle jack and jackstand.

- Is the battery box big enough for either two 6V golf cart batteries, or two 12V Group 31 batteries?

B> The batteries are under the middle step. The height is a 1/2" too shallow for 6V batteries, as the bottom of the step would just contact the top of a 6V. However, while I have group 27s, I've seen reports of folks installing group 31s in their unit.

- Is the roof one piece fiberglass and does it roll over the upper edge of the walls all along each side ... for long term protection against leaks?

B> One piece fiberglass - yes, but their are seams at the top edges of the roof. As long as the Dicor is maintained, they will be fine.

- Does it have at least two roof vents and does one of them contain a 3-speed reversible fan?

B> Stock, it has 3 roof vents, one with the weenie fan in the bath. They are easy to replace, and all three are pre-wired for powered fans. I installed two, and kind of wished I'd have done all three.

- Are the electrical hookup cables and sewage valve access areas in an enclosed cabinet?

B> No, the sewage is hanging below, but is nicely tucked up under the unit. The gray valve is on the passenger side and black is next to the outlet on the drivers side.
Electrical - the 30A cord is fed through a mouse hole into the storage compartment on the drivers side. I replaced mine with a 30A twist-lock Marinco unit, which seals the sidewall and makes it easy to deal with the power cord. I use a 15A connection 99% of the time, so I carry a couple 30A twistlock to 15A adapters.

- Is the refrigerator 2-way propane/electric powered, or only an electric powered "residential type" refrigerator?

B> Our unit has a nice 2 door Dometic Propane/120VAC unit. 12V is used for the control board.

- How is the cabover area built such that it will - for all practical purposes - "never leak"?

B> Ours has a full fiberglass nose cap. Again, no matter the style, seam maintenance and proper storage out of the elements will keep a unit in perfect shape for years.

- Does the passenger cab seat swivel to face the rear?

B> Ours did not, but I installed a swivel. Search my posts for the project and pictures.

- Does the coach contain at lot of 120V receptacles and 12V receptacles?

B> 120VAC, Lots!, 12V, one in the house and two in the dash, and a dual USB power in the bedroom.

- Are the outside storage cabinets' walls and floors steel or fiberglass?

B> Roto-moulded plastic. I added supports, as they needed a bit of help. Search for my posts for the project and pictures; those pics are in my photo album listed at the bottom of this post.

- Are the cab mirrors powered and heated?

B> No, standard Velvac. Easily replaceable with full spot style Velvac, and once they are set, no need to move 'em. (unless you have more than one driver - I'm the only driver, so I don't need to move them.) Heated? I've very rarely needed heated mirrors.

- Does the coach have a manual or automatic step?

B> No exterior step. The body is designed such that the first step into the entrance is at the same height as an external step. I've really appreciated not having to deal with a manual or electric step. I replaced the manual on our old Four Winds with an electric, and while it is convenient, it's yet another thing to maintain.

Additional notes: The sidewalls are Azdel - no luan plywood between the fiberglass and the insulation. Block formed sidewalls/floor, and the ceiling is curved and has a lot of expanded polystyrene foam insulation. Likewise, the floor is of similar material, with 1/2" OSB below the floor covering. It has some special floor covering as well, though I don't recall the brand name.

See more Project Pictures !
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's just some random comments beyond just floorplan:

- You might want to buy it built on only the heavier duty Chevy chassis ... the 4500 chassis instead of the 3500 chassis. The 4500 chassis will have the big 57 gallon gas tank for a great long range between fillups when traveling ... plus plenty of fuel on board when camped for running the built-in generator to provide air conditioing during expected or unexpected hot weather.

- The heavier duty Chevy chassis will also provide superior brake service and life because the brakes will be larger.

- The heavier duty Chevy chassis will also allow you to travel with all tanks full if you wish with no over-weight concerns.

- Do all the cabinet doors have gravity locks so they'll never fly open on the open road?

- Do alll the cabinet doors slide on steel tracks?

- Is the water pump easy to get at?

- Are the grey and black tank valves connected to their handles by cables or steel rods? Steel rods is best.

- Can you disconnect the RV batteries with an easy to reach switch by the coach door?

- Does it come with a spare tire?

- Is the battery box big enough for either two 6V golf cart batteries, or two 12V Group 31 batteries?

- Is the roof one piece fiberglass and does it roll over the upper edge of the walls all along each side ... for long term protection against leaks?

- Does it have at least two roof vents and does one of them contain a 3-speed reversible fan?

- Are the electrical hookup cables and sewage valve access areas in an enclosed cabinet?

- Is the refrigerator 2-way propane/electric powered, or only an electric powered "residential type" refrigerator?

- How is the cabover area built such that it will - for all practical purposes - "never leak"?

- Does the passenger cab seat swivel to face the rear?

- Does the coach contain at lot of 120V receptacles and 12V receptacles?

- Are the outside storage cabinets' walls and floors steel or fiberglass?

- Are the cab mirrors powered and heated?

- Does the coach have a manual or automatic step?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh heck, you can pull anything on da lot wit a Chevy!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plan on sleeping on the folding queen bed you better make sure the Golden can climb a bunk ladder.

I have a 2350 FR and so far its been perfect during its first 11,000 miles and I drive it in and out of big cities full of potholes. If the flat screen stays on the wall, its a good sign. ๐Ÿ™‚

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't think of any cons right of the top of my head but one of the best Pros is that it is on A Chevy Chassis :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A Chevy what? Payload? Max trailer weight?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad