cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone numbers on important things

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’ve always put phone numbers on things that might be misplaced or otherwise might get out of my possession. I figure there are plenty of honest people in the world, and I’ve found things before that somebody wanted back but I had no way to reach them.

We were in the process of breaking camp yesterday morning. I had the trailer sitting down on the hitch and was raising the landing legs when I heard a clunk on the road as a rig headed for the gate. I walked around my truck and laying on the road were a Yeti mug, a change purse and a set of camper keys — with a bottle opener!

I was halfway hitched and the bikes were on tied to the rack. Running wasn’t an option. As I was standing there looking things over for identifying information, another camper came by in a golf cart and gave me a ride to try to catch them. They had pulled out on the main road before we got there. Stopped at the gate house and they were able to identify the camper and look up their phone number from registration. We called their number but it was their land line, with answering machine.

I left the stuff with the gate staff. They still hadn’t picked it up or called when I left a couple of hours later. Hope they had another set of keys. It would be a big disappointment to stop to make camp and find yourself locked out. Maybe even a bigger disappointment to stop to use the bathroom and find it locked!

Good idea to use a cell number for registrations and reservations in case something happens that the campground needs to talk to you while you are on the road.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
20 REPLIES 20

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing on our normal "leave home" check list is put the set of keys I carry and the one she carries in the glove box of TV. We have a third ring, with only key to camper and key to pickup. We get ready to leave someplace, if we don't have that ring we must find it.

lovemountains
Explorer
Explorer
I lost my car keys several years ago, while travevling from our home in NC that we were selling and to our new home in GA. A few days later I received a phone call from Arby's headquarters saying that my keys were found at one of their restaurants, and that I could pick them up.

There were several store "reward cards" attached to my car key, and they found my cell phone number by contacting CVS. I was so thankful that someone turned the keys in, because replacing a key fob is expensive.

I tried to give a reward to the Arby's manager, but she refused it.

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
All my key sets have small dog tags with home and cell phone numbers as well as a reward. Cell phone screen has "to return me call" and the listed phone numbers to call.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
Our dogs have travel harnesses with tags that have my cell number and a description of our coach. It has paid off.

Matt

Yes, my cell number is on the tag. But I have thought the number in larger digits that maybe somebody could read without getting their face close to a strange dog. I know my dog would not snap, but I would not expect you or anybody else to know or trust her. And a quick little dog, that is wanting to stay out of a stranger's reach...

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
xxxxxxxx
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs have travel harnesses with tags that have my cell number and a description of our coach. It has paid off.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
And on the door of the RV, in case some issue arises while we’re away from it.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
...I saw one dog (on a leash) had pockets on sides of harness. Yellow card with site number in each pocket...

I like that idea!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pets. Many people put phone number on a tag on the dog's neck. Dog is in a strange place, can't find his people. Will he run from a stranger? I have seen collars with number on it that could be read from a distance. I saw one dog (on a leash) had pockets on sides of harness. Yellow card with site number in each pocket...

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a manager of a resort on St John USVI We constantly had honest people turn in cameras , dive gear , bikini tops ,travelers checks , none of which had any identity information . Put your cell phone number on every thing except teenage kids .

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
I’ve always put phone numbers on things that might be misplaced or otherwise might get out of my possession. I figure there are plenty of honest people in the world,

I put a military-style dog tag on all my key rings. It reads:

REWARD IF FOUND
MY NAME
MY CELL PHONE #
MY EMAIL ADDRESS

I'll gladly slip someone $20 for returning vehicle keys that would cost $50 to $100 to replace.

I also put bright colorful plastic cap covers on all the keys. Makes it easier to find them if they are dropped in snow, tall grass, etc.

Of course, the reason you don't put your address on the dog tag is because your house/apartment key is on the ring. Why make it stupid easy for someone who ISN'T honest?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We haven't had a land-line for over 15 years now. It was an awkward decision, but one of the better ones. Phones (and internet) are always with us.

Maybe in 20 years or so when they get cell service to a little more of the country. They say we live in the East coast metropolis but cable says not enough people live here so cable isn't coming. Many people I know have no cell.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Phones (and internet) are always with us."

I've not always found that to be true. Thank goodness.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
We haven't had a land-line for over 15 years now. It was an awkward decision, but one of the better ones. Phones (and internet) are always with us.

Same with us though not as long. It wasn’t until 4 or 5 years ago that our combined phone and internet bill wasn’t cheaper than internet alone. As soon as it became cheaper to drop the phone, we did.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73