cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to the RV World - Towing Mirrors Recommendation

mbyost13
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I hope all is well. My wife and I just purchased our first camper, a Puma Forest River travel trailer (24 ft). I am happy to say, I successfully towed it for the first time yesterday. I was pretty nervous about the tow but in all honesty, it was rather easy. My only concern is having more visibility on either side of the vehicle.

We are towing our new camper with a 2019 Chevy Traverse that is already set up with the V92 towing package, a digital break control, and a E2 Anti Sway Hitch. I need to get some towing mirror extensions on our vehicle and I am not sure what to purchase? I started looking online and saw several manufacturers and websites. What manufacturer/website do you guys recommend to purchase the towing mirrors?

Thanks in advance
19 REPLIES 19

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
Are they necessary for a 24'? My 20' trailer does just fine with stock non tow mirrors. sometimes those little bubbles you stick on the mirrors would come in handy with curbs. for the most part i don't see the benefit on a small/medium sized trailer.

I would say wait for a trip or two and just adjust the stock mirrors as necessary. Then invest if you really have issues.

Our very first camper was just under 24'. After I started using the tow mirrors, I was amazed with the difference it made. It's not just the length, it's also the width. Short answer, YES.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer wanted $800.00 to install factory towing mirrors. I bought the same model on eBay for $250.00 a pair. The dealer installed the pair for $80.00.

From my experience you never have too big a mirror. Thought they can make your truck look like Dumbo the elephant.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a specification nut. So I have listed in my iPhone & iPad Notes all the specs I think I will find useful on my TV & TT. Widths and widths including mirrors are some of them. I have a narrow TT so the factory standard mirrors on my F150 worked out fine. I did need extension or extra mirror help on the Explorer, my previous TV. I suspect the OP's TV is on the narrow side. The add on mirrors that strapped to the doors, not the existing mirrors, were a huge vision improvement but I had to be aware of them at all times. Stuck out like elephant ears to get the vision!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
when I had my grand Cherokee I had a snap on set specific to that vehicle. they sucked and I never used them. my f150 stock mirrors are enough. do they still make the bull horns that you close in the hood? they were awesome 20+ years ago?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
CIPA slide on mirror extensions worked for us when we needed some. Bought them from etrailer.com

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
Are they necessary for a 24'? My 20' trailer does just fine with stock non tow mirrors. sometimes those little bubbles you stick on the mirrors would come in handy with curbs. for the most part i don't see the benefit on a small/medium sized trailer.

I would say wait for a trip or two and just adjust the stock mirrors as necessary. Then invest if you really have issues.

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had good luck with the Milenco mirrors that clamp onto the normal mirrors.

Before that, I tried several strap on ones. They had lots of vibration, and the straps would loosen up as I drove, so I had to check the tightness at each rest stop.
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search "door mount trailer towing mirrors".
I have a set I used with my Explorer and they work great. About $60 each or so. A PITA to get adjusted just right but great for rear vision.
Before that I used the suction cup mount ones from Wally World. They worked, not great but they helped. Stick on your original mirrors.
My new stock F150 mirrors are wide enough for my trailer now with the Explorer as a backup tow vehicle ๐Ÿ˜‰
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
I have used Mckesh from Hensley Mfg. and with the optional convex mirrors have enhanced visibility to the rear 10 fold. They do not vibrate, etc. when installed properly. Our next tow vehicle will be ordered with the factory tow mirrors.

My last two trucks were HD models that came with factory tow mirrors.
F-250 4x4 Diesel. Came with the Ford Elephant Ear Mirrows. I loved them.
My last truck is a F-150 HD 4x4 and I specifically looked for the
Ford Towing mirrors.

At first glance the Big Boxy Ford mirrors are too much.
After driving with them, I fell in love with them.

I understand why the GMC 2500 went with the boxy mirrors they work.

The main thing is find something that works for you.

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
I have used Mckesh from Hensley Mfg. and with the optional convex mirrors have enhanced visibility to the rear 10 fold. They do not vibrate, etc. when installed properly. Our next tow vehicle will be ordered with the factory tow mirrors.

X2. We used these for over 10 years until we changed tow vehicles with one that had tow mirrors built in. They are a great product. Not sexy, but very functional and durable.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the Milenko Aero mirrors for about 8 years now on 2 vehicles without a hitch.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mbyost13
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate everyones input. It looks like with the 2019 traverse, my only option is to get the mirrors with straps. I called Chevy and they offer no type of tow mirrors for the vehicle which surprises me. I did end up going through etrailer to order some because I feel like they may be most notable.

KM_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
I got these Fit System Snap on Mirrors- see them HERE They were inexpensive. Worked flawlessly, & are unobtrusive.

You will need to get some that fit your model TV.

I put them and they have worked well for over 36K miles. They are made to be able to take them off when not towing.

I don't bother.
Kevin & Mary
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed - For Sale
2020 Ford F350 6.7 PSD 4X4 DRW CC LB
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:

I agree, best aftermarket tow mirrors, gawky looking but totally functional. we had them on a Dakota pulling a 7 1/2 ft wide trailer and they were prefect
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260