Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Multiple Tire Blowouts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Multiple Tire Blowouts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
ItsMeCarlos

Pembroke Pines

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your replies and knowledge on this topic.

I really don't want to make this a China bomb thread and I apologize if I did. I'm sure everyone is tired about the same thing over and over.

I NOW know how to correctly read the GVWR and understand it. I was a bit confused but thank you for the clarifications. I will run it over a scale to know for sure and take it from there.

I just felt that in 2 years and 6 blowouts/flats later something else has to be the issue. Maybe also thought the Forest River might have to blame since they have had tire issues and recalls in the past. Just for clarification, I can not find any recalls on our model.

Many have asked about my speed, I usually travel around 65 mph, 70 if I need to pass. These D tires are rated for 65.

Someone asked about the breaks maybe dragging. I currently have the trailer on jack stands to keep weight off the trailer (just trying something different) and all 4 spin freely.

Someone asked about tire pressure, I keep them as per the tire manufactures recommendation. D tires I keep them at 65 psi, my new E tires at 80 psi. I check them before each road trip religiously. I carry a small compressor with me and fill as needed.

Also axle misalignment was brought up. Good idea! I have had tire failure in all 4 mount locations. If the axle was the case, wouldn't it just happen on the same tire constantly? I will still check it out. I guess the best way to do that is measure axle to axle on both side (driver/passenger) and the measurement should be pretty close to each other.

Someone also asked about potholes, curb and tight turns. No curbs, I don't drive like a maniac, I know the stretch of this road by now, to the point I know which lanes I should avoid do to the bad condition of it. Tight turns, the answer to that is yes. I have thought about this. This is the reason I now leave it on jack stands, tire off the ground. I am able to park it at home, to get in and out it is a tight squeeze. I do need to make a sharp turn to back it in. After I do back her in, I usually go forward and reverse a few feet to try and get that strain of the tires because of the turn. This has always stuck in my head as to maybe the cause, but then I think, if I always backup the same exact way when I park it, would the tire failure be in the same location? Maybe I just over think sometimes. Anyways, will see how she does with the tires off the ground next trip.

Someone asked about the tire heat. Like I mentioned, this last trip I installed a TPMS. The system also lets you know the temperature of each tire. I was watching this religiously. Right before one of the blowouts psi was at 68 and temp was at 104. I watched them the entire trip and no tire went above 106.

Also someone asked about the TPMS I purchased. This was my first time using it and I was happy with it.There is about a 6-8 second delay by the time the system picks up the signal reading. I know this because I heard the blowout first and it took a while for the alarm to go off on the systems headset. I did some research before buying this unit. One was that it reads over 80 psi. Some other systems out there do not. Has temp reading. Range was good for as per the reviews (from my trailer tires to the cab of my truck is about 37'). Another nice feature is you can set alarms for high and low PSI as well as alarms for temprature. Finally, the price was right for me at $70. Here is a link if your interested at the one I purchased. ***Link Removed*** Sorry, I can't add the link for some reason. I got it off Amazon, it's called CACAGOO Wireless TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Thank you again for everyone's input, I greatly appreciate it.

I now have a few things to look into.

Stay safe,
Carlos

* This post was edited 08/25/19 02:40pm by ItsMeCarlos *

KM Rolling

Byhalia Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to have been narrowed down to 3 things-

1. Find out your loaded weight to make sure you are not exceeding GVWR

2. You may have had older and/or bad tires. Just because the trailer was only 2 years old does not mean the tires were only 2 years old.

3. Driving faster than the tires are rated for seems like a surefire way to have a failure.

Sharp turns should not cause a tire failure...hitting curbs, yeah, sharp maneuvering, no.

Kevin & Mary
Byhalia, MS
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed
2018 Blast TH

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I am generally on board with the whole, "China tires are terrible," thing, OP's experience is pretty amazing even for those standards. 6 blowouts in 2 years? I'd definitely look at the weights as well as the brakes to be sure they aren't locking up as someone mentioned.

mlh

Walker, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, I believe a lot of the China Bomb posts lately are caused by using tires that can't handle the weight. (Maybe the user is overloading the TT, maybe the factory installed too low of a load range tire) Since most of the TT's come with the china made tires, there are a lot of them out there. That means a greater number will fail when you are talking percentages. When they fail, all people hear are "change to good year endurance." When they replace tires, most go to load range E and above and no other issues. I'd be willing to bet that the load range fixed the issues and NOT the fact that it was a Good Year endurance tire. But....everyone has their own kool-aid to drink.

2018 Ram 2500 crew, 4x4, 6.4L, 3.73
2019 Puma 29QBSS
Equalizer weight distribution and sway control

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Actually on a rv trailer its the axle load rating (tire..wheel...suspension...axle) we don't want to exceed.

A GVWR on a RV trailer can be the sum of the GAWRs plus hitch weight that the tow vehicle carries.

Weighing is a good idea on a truck trailer combo for a GCW. However the driver will need to know if a tow vehicles steer...drive...or trailer axle rating isn't over loaded.

ST tire failures??
I could write a good horror story about them when I was hauling for a living.
Most ST tire per rv trailer owner I've seen was a member on our TH forum. He had 11 Maxxis ruined in a 3 year period before he switched to LT tires. No issues after that.

* This post was edited 08/27/19 08:33am by JIMNLIN *

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Actually on a rv trailer its the axle load rating (tire..wheel...suspension...axle) we don't want to exceed.

A GVWR on a RV trailer can be the sum of the GAWRs plus hitch weight that the tow vehicle carries.

Weighing is a good idea on a truck trailer combo for a GCW. However the driver will need to know if a tow vehicles steer...drive...or trailer axle rating isn't over loaded.

When you weigh a trailer, the trailer axles go on a separate scale from the truck itself, which has separate scales for steer and drive. In other words, you'll have answers to all of those questions (GVW of tow unit, GCW, and axle weights for each truck axle and the trailer axles).

coloelk

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take your trailer to get an alignment done on it. AS they come out of the factory they are all junk this way. Some just worse than others.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Most ST tire per rv trailer owner I've seen was a member on our TH forum. He had 11 Maxxis ruined in a 3 year period before he switched to LT tires. No issues after that.

I probably had that many as well... I lost count. But I did many brand switches and load range and tire size upgrades along the way to finally arrive at what worked.

Michelin XPS RIBS. No tire issues since I made the swap in 2006. Over 100,000 miles in 13+ years and counting.
When I get a new TT, it is the first thing I do to it. In fact when I brought my present TT home, I parked it along side my old TT, and swapped my used Michelins from it to my new TT.
The buyer of my old TT was impressed that he was getting brand new ST tires. I was relieved that they got me home, and glad to be rid of them.
I will do whatever it takes to make LTs fit.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our latest TT came with the new Goodyears on it . They are a larger tire than the sts and there rates at 85mph. I spoke to a Jayco engineer and he said the tt builders were in on the design of this tire it has thicker side walls and is designed for a straight tow. We put on no less than 7000 miles per season ..... so far so go after 9000 miles.
I will add these tires on MY trailer came filled with Nitrogen and they have only needed a pound or two of air to maintain their max air pressure.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Our latest TT came with the new Goodyears on it . They are a larger tire than the sts and there rates at 85mph. I spoke to a Jayco engineer and he said the tt builders were in on the design of this tire it has thicker side walls and is designed for a straight tow. We put on no less than 7000 miles per season ..... so far so go after 9000 miles.
I will add these tires on MY trailer came filled with Nitrogen and they have only needed a pound or two of air to maintain their max air pressure.
They are likely the Goodyear Endurance. Goodyear says they are an upgraded ST tire.
On paper, it should be a better tire.

But Goodyear, along with Carlise, and Maxxis spent many years telling us how great their previous ST tires were.

The way I see it, those companies lied to us for years. Even if they are telling the truth now.... They do not deserve any more of my money.

The Endurance is still a relative newcomer to the scene. It would not tbe the first time that a new ST tire was introduced to great fanfare, and the masses rushed to buy them... Then there was a honeymoon period with glowing testimonials..... Then as the miles and years mounted up, failures happened with increasing frequency.

Perhaps this time will be different... But this new tire experiment will proceed without me.

As for the current beta testers.... If this movie turns out to be a rerun for you.... You still have the LT option. You may have to make some changes to make them fit... But it will be worth it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Multiple Tire Blowouts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS