Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking aft used trucks - "?' flood damage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Looking aft used trucks - "?' flood damage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
MR MAC

South East MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as looking for a used truck, about 3 years oil, I noticed under rear very clean, the break lines looked as if they were new with clean tages, on them, and weld seams had rust on them, like new rust. Also inside the tail pipe was clean with rust spots. any way to tell if its from a flood area and been clean up. And does it realy matter.

ROBERT L MC INTYRE

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Temporary water shouldn't be cause for replacing brake lines, as they get wet all the time.

I'd be more concerned about possible corrosion contamination. I'll explain:

Couple years ago near Trail BC, a transport truck carrying a highly corrosive liquid, hydrochloric acid I think it was, spilled some of it's load as the truck drove down the highway. Vehicles drove through it and coated the underside with acid. There was a massive insurance claim with ICBC, the governments auto insurance in British Columbia. Dozens of vehicles were scrapped and I believe crushed.

Perhaps a few of these vehicles were not claimed for, but rather wound up being exported south and sold in the US.

Check to see if this is a Canadian import from BC. If so, don't touch it with a 10 foot pole!

But still be very cautious. This truck may have been exposed to something similar.

Long shot, but entirely possible.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting report, Bobs.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check YouTube for videos on identifying flood vehicles.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flood vehicles can be a disaster in the making. With all of the computers on board water is a big enemy. Water can also get in the diff gears. It can sometimes take months to show up, but it usually eventually will. Check places where you know there shouldn’t be any sign of water; under the carpet and under the dashboard. If you’re suspicious, take it to a qualified mechanic that you trust and have them inspect it. It will be well worth the couple of hundred or so dollars to find out.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that ya'll have scared everyone away from a used vehicles. Every thing that he noticed is normal wear and tear .
I just went outside and looked at my 5 year old truck and it looks as he described , maybe it flooded when I was not looking !

MR MAC

South East MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats some good stuff, Just looking for some signs to look for. thank for info,

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mac, you’re thinking right by looking at things that might be out of place on a used truck and I’d say extra clean underneath and clean tags on the brakes and less rust? than there should be on a vehicle after a few NE winters is not really normal, but there are other explanations.
Like was the truck detailed extraordinarily well? Could be one of those dealers that steam cleans the whole vehicle. 1 explanation for it being cleaner than it should be.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check rear differential and front if 4 wheel drive. Flood vehicles are a PITA with so many unscrupulous dealers sending them all over the country.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a simple question, aren't vehicles that are salvaged out due to flood damage, cleaned up and then resold listed as such in DMV records and in insurance company records? It seems that a Carfax or such would turn up that information. Insurance companies don't like insuring flood damaged vehicles, very expensive when problems arise.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Looking aft used trucks - "?' flood damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS