cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacement of catalytic converter

JCMack
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace the cat converter on my 05 workhorse chassis with the 8.1 engine due to something loose and banging around inside most noticeable at idle.Can someone help me with specs. or a part number for cat. converter I require. thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would second the idea to check the mounting points of any shields on the exhaust system. While the exhaust pipes tend to last a long time, whatever fasteners they use on those shields tend to rust away in about 10 years. Both of our cars have had this issue, and I've had to secure a couple of friends & relatives heatshields over the years too. So far, our moho hasn't been a problem here...yet.

If the shields all seem to be mounted securely, then I guess it is the cat converters. Your rig is about the same year as ours. How many miles on yours? So far, ours still look (and sound) solid. But, we've only got about 45,000 miles on it (I think?).

The cats should last a long, long time, so you might want to follow theoldwizard1's advice and do some investigating to make sure the engine is running properly.

Good Luck, and be sure to let us know how you make out.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
If you need one, and can do the work, I suggest looking up Muffler Express Ltd.
They shipped me a complete set for my van, for less than just having one replaced at a shop.

If you do R&R it yourself, then contact Rockaway Recycling in Mew Jersey to dispose of the old one.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may be the outer shield starting to rust, loose and banging around at idle. Many cars have this happen to. You can remove the shield to stop the noise and it will not affect the performance, you would just want to make sure you don't park it over tall grass or anything that can catch fire from the hot converter.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Walker, AP and Eastern Catalytic converters all manufacture and sell catalysts, including universal fit models.

If the cat has broken down inside that means there is something wrong with the engine, either it is running to lean or too rich. Get it fixed BEFOR you replace that cats and ruin another set.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most exhaust shops would have a generic cat replacement.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Probably one of these. What size pipe?
https://www.summitracing.com/nv/search/part-type/catalytic-converters/brand/walker-exhaust/product-line/walker-universal-catalytic-converters/inlet-diameter-in/3-000-in?N=inlet-diameter-in%3A3-000-in