cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another "Is this generator a good one" thread

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sams Club is advertising this 2200 watt inverter generator for $399. I have a Honda 2000 watt, but for that price, I might be interested.
Is this one in any way comparable to the Honda? Can this one be paralleled with a Honda?

(For $30 less you can get a gasoline only version.)

Sportsman 2200 watt dual-fuel inverter generator

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
23 REPLIES 23

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ain't no rumor McGee...

Honda uses Guangdong province and Thailand.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Please do not take what I say as to mean that I am anti Honda. I posted in the Champion thread that if you plan on running the generator for hours day after day that you should get the Honda for the better piston sleeve. It is just sad to see the instant brand bashing and the false representation that Honda is infallible. My friend still waits to get the recall done on his 2200 because either they can not get the parts or the shops are too busy. Just to get his running again cost more than I paid for my Sportsman 800w to do a oil change and carb job.

Some day I will get time to pull the 800 apart and clean its carb up OR identify it and get a new one off of Amazon for $22. So it seems parts ARE available.

It's about filling your needs and it is no skin off of my nose if you need something different than what I use.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the same factory... :B
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
UH huh and then there is the rumor that some of that red Honda stuff is outsourced to China. 😉

And doesn't some of the parts on the predator motor resemble the parts on a Honda?

makes me no difference because i am sicking with predator.

Each to his own, I personally do not need that Honda decal.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am happy with my Briggs and Stratton P2200 which maxes out at 1700VA as speced, measured with my Kill-A-Watt while running a non-PF corrected 75 amp converter/charger doing 75 amps set to 14.8 volts.

Only thing I would really like that it does not have is a fuel gauge. I miss the one on the Honda 3000 from before, so you could tell it needed gas. This one, you can "dip the tank" or just cross your fingers it will not run out before your second 50-90 is all done.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Predator from Harbor Freight has as good a reputation as many. Decent price. Considering the 3500 watt unit myself.

Not knocking the Predator brand, but the 3500 is pretty hefty ! I would not like loading and unloading it from the back of a pickup. I know it is a lot more money, but I would consider two 2000W units.

SOAP BOX ! IMHO, all of the generator companies are "missing the mark". People want an inverter generator that will put out a true 2400W continuously with a surge capability of about 2800W) and weigh less than 60 lbs. Bonus for pre-installed hook up for an external tank.

The closest to this today is the Westinghouse iGen2500 (no external tank connection).

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Predator from Harbor Freight has as good a reputation as many. Decent price. Considering the 3500 watt unit myself.

Not knocking the Predator brand, but the 3500 is pretty hefty ! I would not like loading and unloading it from the back of a pickup. I know it is a lot more money, but I would consider two 2000W units.

SOAP BOX ! IMHO, all of the generator companies are "missing the mark". People want an inverter generator that will put out a true 2400W continuously with a surge capability of about 2800W) and weigh less than 60 lbs. Bonus for pre-installed hook up for an external tank.

The closest to this today is the Westinghouse iGen2500 (no external tank connection).

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
I got a little secret for y'all.

Out here on the road it doesn't matter what brand, color, model, etc. If it starts consistently, runs well, meets your needs...you got a good one. It's true for generators, tools, trucks, RV's and so much more in life. The need to defend a brand simply because it is our choice is nuts.

NAILED IT !

When shopping for an item like this, the best you can do is to look around at other people and see what brand they use and ask them their opinion of the product. The internet is a dangerous place to get product evaluations. It is easy for someone who is paid off to make a video. Also, many don't evaluate/test a product for much more than the length of the video.

Most people slam Harbor Freight and I have bought some junk there in the past. They have upped their game (at least on some products) in recent years. I have several tools from there that were much cheaper than other places and they have worked fine. I would consider them if I was buying a generator.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Honda 2200i claims to be "as low as" 48 dB.
The Sam's page claims the Sportsman is "less than 53 dB".
The Predator 2000 is claimed to be 65dB.

Considering the LP option on the Sportsman, that's quite a price. Paralleling with a Honda doesn't sound like something I'd ever try, though.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the thoughtful comments about a cheap generator as opposed to a Honda. For many, the price of the Honda is out of reach. So, they buy a cheap brand and are forced to discard it when it breaks with no parts or service available. That is the risk when the cheap product is purchased.

Using real poverty as an example, a reason people cannot rise from poverty is they are, because of price, trapped into buying inferior products that don't last only to prematurely replace that inferior product with another to repeat the cycle. Buying a quality product with a higher initial price is ultimately cheaper than buying multiple cheaper inferior products.

I wonder if the premium generator brands may ultimately be a cheaper investment.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
My trusty 13year old Honda broke down. I cannot even guess at how many hours it has on it. Several thousand. It was my only power for a time.

I looked around and decided to buy a backup generator to use until I get the Honda fixed.

I tried a Running "super quiet" 2200watt generator. It was SIGNIFICANTLY louder than the Honda and would not run my roof air. Took it back and ordered a Champion 3400watt. It works well. It is not as quiet as the Honda but is usable.

I really like the remote control.

I agree with previous posters. Cheap no name Chinese generators are not going to compare with the Honda and are "throw aways". Use them till they quit and throw them in the trash.

I suspect that the Champion is probably manufacturered in China. However, it is built to a better standards than the genetics. Also, Champion has factory service and parts here in the US and a network of authorized service shops around the country.

If my pockets were deep enough, I would buy nothing but Honda. What is Lotto up to tonight? 🙂
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
I got a little secret for y'all.

Out here on the road it doesn't matter what brand, color, model, etc. If it starts consistently, runs well, meets your needs...you got a good one. It's true for generators, tools, trucks, RV's and so much more in life. The need to defend a brand simply because it is our choice is nuts.

There are plenty of post about Honda's breaking down or being cold blooded to start. My buddies brand new Honda 2200 lasted just months before it needed a shop. He is kicking himself for not getting the unit this thread is about not just because of the difference in price but because he hates refilling his multiple times a day.

My little Sportsman 800 was a one pull wonder for 2 1/2 years until I let someone give me bad gas. It was my fault for not going and getting fresh gas, not the generator's. It ran my 5000 BTU A/C for 5 hours on it's half a gallon gas tank. It's performance until then showed me that getting a Sportsman 2200 was not a risk.

So instead of jumping to arms whenever a new product is introduced, wish it well. We need the Honda's of the world to be pushed to compete. Honda needs to step up their game with new products and better pricing because these new companies will meet peoples needs and have been for a while.

I agree 100% with your comments. Many people on this forum are flush with cash so they overpay for just about everything they purchase. Why? because they can and they mistakenly think that if it costs more, it's better. That's not case in many instances. Good for them that their financial situation is in fantastic shape. I wish them all nothing but the best but for the rest of us that want a product that does the same job at a more reasonable price, I'm right there with ya in most cases.

As an example...I used to do electrical work on the side. I once was hired to install a couple of light fixtures in one of the bathrooms of a very well off couple. They paid me handsomely but insisted I use their old light bulbs. The next day, they called to say that one of the lights didn't work. So I went back to their house and they paid me for an hours labor for my time to drive there and change the bulb. True Story!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.