cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what defines a 3/4 ton?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's payload capacity, then why isn't a properly equipped F150 considered a 3/4 ton truck?
103 REPLIES 103

blt2ski
My 1981 @ 2000 Chevy C2500 had/has a 9.5" semi floater. A BB, or 6.5TD would have had a FF. Same 88-2000 body style, had FF axles in 1500s with the 6.2/6.5TD diesels. Granted 8-10" versions.... 5 or 6 lugs too.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 86 C20 8600 GVW had a semi floater.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
A 3/4 ton truck used to have 8 lug wheels and a full floating rearend. These are signifignant things.
But the manufacturers have been marketing 1/2 tons which do NOT have those important items as having 3/4 ton capabilities.... Sadly it has gone on so long now that many do not remember, or never knew the difference.

Chevrolet's and GMC's 3/4 ton trucks (C20) from the 70's thru the 90's always had semi floating axles.

Ford's 3/4 ton trucks (F250) from the 70's to date have mostly been a full floating axle with the exception of the light duty F250 produced for a ~couple of years during the late 90's which were semi floating.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
When light-duty trucks were first produced in the United States, they were rated by their payload capacity in tons (1/2 ton-, 3/4 ton - and 1-ton). Over time, payload capacities for most domestic pickup trucks have increased while the ton titles have stayed the same. The now-imprecise ton rating is presently used to compare standard sizes, rather than actual capacities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_classification

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
If I want to get groceries and a few bags of snowmelt plus some landscaping blocks, I use the Toyota Tundra

If I want to tow the boat, or the 23' flatbed with ATV's or sno-gos, I use the (new, yay!) F250 (replacing the soon to be dearly departed Chev 2500HD)

If I want to haul 3.5 yards of gravel, or tow the dozer around, I use the F550

One of those is a 1/2 ton, one's a 3/4 ton, and one's medium duty. Darned if I care about which is which, I just look at what I want to carry before I pick the truck....even if I sometimes mistakenly pull the boat with the Toyota.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
What I am most concerned with my trucks is axle and tire rating, GVWR, and what level I have to register it.

For instance, in my state, I have to run a 12K plate on my Frontier, because with the funfinder hooked to it, I weigh 8500 combined. Because of that, I cannot run just a 6K plate. If I never towed anything with it, I could run a 6K registration.

The reason we "pay" for the weight of the trailer in the truck plate is because our trailers get a "permanent" (one time) plate, and the cost of that registration is basically just a paperwork cost.

If you look under the rear of a F350 SRW vs a DRW, the pieces and parts are the same, yet the DRW has a much higher axle and gross rating. The limiting factor on the SRW is the tire capacity. My dually has a 9K axle rating, where the same truck that year in a single was 6K.

The payload on my F350 is 4800 pounds. So I guess that makes it a nearly two and half ton truck. Sometimes when running empty, I think that's an appropriate designation !

I suppose eventually people will drop this idea of calling these trucks out as half ton, one ton, etc. Old habits die hard.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
To make it even more confusing. Back when these terms actually meant something, Ford F series trucks were names F-1, F-2, F-3, and F-4. The Ford changed their naming and the F-1 "1/4 ton"(or 1/2 ton depending on who you ask) became the F100. The F-2 "1/2 ton"(or light 3/4 ton depending on who you ask) and F-3 "3/4 ton" (or heavy 3/4 ton depending on who you ask) both became the F250. The F-4 "1 ton" became the F350. Ford later started making the F150 as their " heavy 1/2 ton" along with the F100. The F100 was discontinued years later.

For a long time, GM didn't even use numbers for most of their trucks. They had names like Apache for light duty trucks, Viking for medium duty trucks, and Spartan for heavy duty trucks. Many of the trucks that did have numbers didn't coincide with their payload like the 3100, 3800, and 9310. So saying that the Asian trucks not using the numbers system is not the norm was actually the norm for some US makes back in the day.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Bedlam
I wonder if the heavy half tons were the first ones to to have a GVWR over 6000 lbs which put them into Class 2. The 60's trucks (like a C10 or F100) only weighed about 3000 lbs when empty.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Since these topics always become a discussion of overall confusion, let's throw this in too: remember back when for instance, a Chevy 1/2 ton was called a C10 ? Well, then we got "heavy half", and from that I suspect is where the marketing dept took it and ran with it, and started calling the 1/2 ton a 1500, So of course everybody else had to follow suit, or be lost in the rating wars.

If I remember correctly, at the time, moving the designation up to a "heavy half" had some implications regarding either meeting safety regs or emissions regs.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

Friend of mine had a cab fire in a old F-750. A few weeks later, one of his F-250s was rear ended hard. Then he needed to downsize his company, sell a bunch of equipment. We put the cab off the 250 on the other truck. Weight watcher looks at cab ID number, no issue for no CDL...

LOL!!!
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

Yes, it is opinion. Just go to the GM forums and see them debate whether a 2500LD was actually a 3/4 ton. Half say yes, and half say no. Then there is the Ford light duty F250. Half say it was a 3/4 ton and half say no. Then their is the F350 that gets de-rated into a 10k GVWR. Most say it is still a 1 ton while others say it is now 3/4 ton. Then there is the F250 with the camper package which essentially gave you the exact same truck, suspension and all, as an F350, but with an F250 badge. Some say it is still a 3/4 ton because of the 250 badge and others say it is a 1 ton because it has the exact same components as the F350.

So yes, it is all opinion.

Friend of mine had a cab fire in a old F-750. A few weeks later, one of his F-250s was rear ended hard. Then he needed to downsize his company, sell a bunch of equipment. We put the cab off the 250 on the other truck. Weight watcher looks at cab ID number, no issue for no CDL...

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I've always thought of a half ton truck as using many parts you would find in a full sized body on frame sedan and utilizing a semi floating axle. Now that the few remaining large sedans are mostly uni-body and there are many more uni-body SUV's, I still see some crossover of parts.

Looking at the three quarter ton and larger trucks, I expect a full floating axle, heavier frame, and larger capacity brakes.

That is actually why many in the GM and Ford forums say that they 2500LD and F250 light duty was not a 3/4 ton. Both had semi-floating axles just like the Titan XD does now which is also in the same class as most other class 2B trucks. However, many others disagreed saying that it was a 3/4 ton.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Bedlam
I've always thought of a half ton truck as using many parts you would find in a full sized body on frame sedan and utilizing a semi floating axle. Now that the few remaining large sedans are mostly uni-body and there are many more uni-body SUV's, I still see some crossover of parts.

Looking at the three quarter ton and larger trucks, I expect a full floating axle, heavier frame, and larger capacity brakes.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add to the confusion, word on the street the 2020 F350 will have a max GVWR of 12,400. Same truck as 2019 but now they add an add'l 900 lbs. Go figure.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS