cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

storage tips for keeping batteries in good shape ????

brianseay
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned two motorhomes over the last 14 yrs. !st was a gasser, 2nd a diesel pusher. My questions are this,
1) do you keep it plugged up when not in use ? mine is garage kept at home and I always have left it plugged in. Are my batteries getting overcharged by doing this ?
2) what is the preferred method of storing one when not in use ?

3) does anyone have knowledge on the in motion satellite system ? I think mine has an lnb that has went out on it. Just wondering if I can buy a new lnb for it.
4) when storing one for long periods of time (months) and plugged up, do you keep the inverter on or off ?

I thought I knew how to do all of this, but apparently not. My batteries were dry as a bone but still held a 6.67 volt charge. I refilled the batteries with acid. Just wondering what I am doing wrong or right. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Brian & Neena Seay
1st time rv owners and loving it ( so far)
1997 32' Damon Challenger
2000 Mustang GT / 2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
ROLL TIDE ROLL.......:B
SCRC #217001 & #217002
15 REPLIES 15

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
full_mosey,

From Magnum observations since 2004 it appears that the Magnum suspends charging for a very short time to to check the battery status and is not related to time. ie It determines to some level how to charge the battery.

I haven't found the algorithms used but observing the charger based on various battery conditions it for me appears to be an excellent charger. I have the Magnum charger voltage and amps and ditto with a battery monitor that have helped me to reach that conclusion.

My MS controller has similar setup as you described. Setting and extending solar timers based on a guess or past history is to me a more marginal method of charging vs determining the battery status so as to not over charge or under charge based on some timer.

In addition Magnum has a optional battery monitor which gives it the actual battery amps and voltage. I don't have this option. Both my MS controller and Magnum have a battery temperature probe.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

brianseay
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered two new house batteries. Will pick them up tomorrow and install them. Also going to get me a battery tender to use on them. Thanks for all of the input, lesson well learned. My batteries are 6 yrs old, normally that's old for an auto battery but not sure if that is good or bad for a house battery. Can someone tell me what the avg life span is on a 6volt 235Ah battery ?
Brian & Neena Seay
1st time rv owners and loving it ( so far)
1997 32' Damon Challenger
2000 Mustang GT / 2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
ROLL TIDE ROLL.......:B
SCRC #217001 & #217002

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased two BatteryMinders - one for the engine batteries and one for the house batteries. I keep them connected to the batteries when we are at home.

As stated, you do not add acid to batteries - you only add distilled water. The easy way to do that is install a battery watering system. You pump water in one house and it tops off all the batteries. You should do this before each trip.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
X2 but one hour a day seems to work for me.

theoldwizard1 wrote:
I will "go against the grain" !

Any lead acid battery really does not like to be on a charger/maintainer 24/7 weeks on end. The simple solution is to plug your charger/maintainer into an old fashion, cheap, mechanic lamp timer and only let it run 2 - 4 hours per day.

If the battery is not fully charged before you are storing it, put it on a good charger for 24 hours BEFORE connecting it to your maintainer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi John,

My Magnum appears to use voltage to switch from mode to mode, or at least from bulk to absorb.

full_mosey wrote:
Well, I believe that is not unique to Magnum. When your Magnum is regulating Voltage, it will increase/decrease Amps to maintain the set Voltage.

HTH;
John
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I will "go against the grain" !

Any lead acid battery really does not like to be on a charger/maintainer 24/7 weeks on end. The simple solution is to plug your charger/maintainer into an old fashion, cheap, mechanic lamp timer and only let it run 2 - 4 hours per day.

If the battery is not fully charged before you are storing it, put it on a good charger for 24 hours BEFORE connecting it to your maintainer.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

Maybe I should check the manual after several years...

One aspect of the Magnum I like is that it detects battery charge vs house loads and changes amps but not voltage with house loads. Likely very hard for a solar controller to do this since the panel power is constantly changing.

Well, I believe that is not unique to Magnum. When your Magnum is regulating Voltage, it will increase/decrease Amps to maintain the set Voltage. It doesn't matter if it is the charge or float voltage. Timers are used to switch between charge, float, and standby. I believe this is how most decent chargers work. Does the Magnum adjust the times due to variances in draws?

I use the programming feature of my solar controller to automatically adjust these timings longer/shorter as needed. Each morning when the controller starts up, the overnight low Voltage is read and the length of time is set for charge(Absorption). If the Voltage is low enough then float is cancelled that day. This helps ensure that the charge cycle will catch up even if it takes more days.

I keep the solar connected year round.

P.S. Nice Alaska trip report. My bucket list includes spending the night inside the Arctic Circle on June 21st.

HTH;
John

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
full_mosey wrote:
CA Traveller;

Perhaps you are not using your Morningstar solar controller to its full capability.

I can assure you that I have programmed my SSMPPT15l to be smarter than your Magnum.

HTH;
John
Maybe I should check the manual after several years...

One aspect of the Magnum I like is that it detects battery charge vs house loads and changes amps but not voltage with house loads. Likely very hard for a solar controller to do this since the panel power is constantly changing.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
CA Traveller,

My solar controller is far more useful than the Magnum. For one reason. You don't have to plug it in.
X2 But they don't work without sun.

Bob

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveller;

Perhaps you are not using your Morningstar solar controller to its full capability.

I can assure you that I have programmed my SSMPPT15l to be smarter than your Magnum.

HTH;
John

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
CA Traveller,

My solar controller is far more useful than the Magnum. For one reason. You don't have to plug it in.
Regards, Don

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Magnum charger has 5 charging stages. Float, bulk, absorb and off are automatic. Off occurs when batteries are fully charged and house loads are minimum for a period of time, when the voltage drops a little it recharges as necessary. Equalization is manually started.

The Magnum charging is superior to solar in that solar usually charges each day then turns off after a period of time. The Magnum is much more aware of battery charge state. The Magnum also has a battery temperature probe as does my Morningstar MPPT 60 solar controller.

I'd want a charger with a temperature probe to adjust the charging voltages as specified by battery manufactures. A temperature compensated battery maintainer is a good choice.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
1) Depends upon the charger, some charge correctly some don't.
2) A charger with maintenance mode or a maintenance only charger. Or fully charge then disconnect the batteries, I have a switch that completely disconnects the batteries, mfg switches usually leave some loads. Fully charge every month.
3) Google search for LNB's IF that is actually the problem. Do you have DTV or Dish?
4) Inverters convert DC to 120V AC, nothing to do with battery charging. If you mean charger/inverter combo then answered above.

Once the plates are exposed then that portion of the plates sulfates and you lose capacity which cannot be restored. Batteries could be weak or shot and voltage alone doesn't identify a weak battery. If weak but adequate for you then OK. BUT have them load tested so that you know. I'd go to a good battery shop and auto stores are not a good battery shop.

Adding acid changes the SP Specific Gravity and the battery will under preform. NEVER add acid.

I'll venture that there is a 99.9% change you need new batteries.

Bob

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Your batteries are dry because your charger is overcharging. They have to be on a battery maintainer or a three stage charger that provides a float charge.
You should go ahead and replace the batteries you added acid to.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It