cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing a Mini Cooper

DaveWat
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone flat towing a Newer Mini Cooper, say 2015 and newer?

We have a Winnebago Minnie Winnie and want to flat tow something small and light
I called Mini USA and their official response is donโ€™t flat tow any Mini, I know people do it without problems but I also know different models and different years can have different problems. We donโ€™t have one, we will be buying a vehicle to tow so I am trying to do my homework to avoid problems. I know Jeep Wranglers are popular toads but I am trying to find something lighter
Thanks,
Dave
9 REPLIES 9

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a '14 Mini Cooper roadster with manual steering and no steering wheel lock. We could turn the ignition completely off and tow it. No fuses to pull, no worries. Worked like a champ.

I was told that "BMW did not recommend towing" the MINI. My strong belief is that this answer is based on the fact that they have never tested if for towing. I have talked with many people who tow them though, with no problems.

I have to suspect that Blue Ox and Roadmaster, makers of towing commitment agree with this assumption since they make the baseplate for the MINI. I was considering buying a Mitsubish car a couple of years ago, and that factory said DO NOT FLAT TOW. And, Blue Ox and Roadmaster do not make a baseplate for that car.

That is my experience for what it worth (not much!!)

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
when we bought our rv, the guy selling it was towing a cooper coachman I think (the station wagon type). Said it was not to be towed but that he was able to get the mounts for it from roadmaster. this was back in '13 so dont know about them since. We have a 13 hyundai elantra manual trans we tow. good room, rear seats fold 150hp direct injection engine. Good little car, tows well as it has a wide stance and adequate wheel base. weighs in around 2800 lbs. So if you want a small light car with some room this is my recommendation. I would advise against the smaller accent, versa and stuff like that as folks I know who own them (not towing) say they are greatly under powered and generally not very roomy. they are about same size as th fiat maybe a little bigger?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
here's someone who did but didn't follow a checklist:

https://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29954406.cfm
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the newer ones, but I do know that that when you forget to take an original Mini Cooper S out of Reverse before you start towing it, within about a half mile, the inside of the engine revs backwards to an incredible speed and disintegrates into little tiny pieces and the supercharger, because it also spins backwards, turns from a blower to a sucker and neatly vacuums them up and deposits them inside of the air cleaner housing. ??

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I know people jump off cliffs but I wonโ€™t. Because people do things doesnโ€™t mean they arenโ€™t ruining their stuff. โ€œAvoid problemsโ€ by following manufacturerโ€™s recommendations.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a Fiat 500, manual. Great little fun car. I think the only restriction was not to tow over 65 m.p.h. No problem for me.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Manual transmissions, pretty much no problem. It's when toads have automatic transmissions that things get, um, interesting.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Fiat 500. You can get the operators manual, on line, for any vehicle you are thinking of and read the section on Recreational Towing.

There are other on-line resources out there for towed vehicle info, but I like the owner's manual. Depending on the car value (and warranty), violation of the towing recommendations of the manufacturere will likely void any warranty.

I have also seen Minis in tow, some flat and some on dollies.
2014 Allegro 36LA