cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for dog breed the travels well while Rving

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Been awhile since I have been on this board.

DW wants a Dog, looking for ideas. Some background info: DW loves dogs, for me I can take them or leave them. In the past because of this we have settled for the smaller breeds.

Our last dog was a sheltie, we think we were very fortunate that the dog had such a good disposition. This said I would love to get the same breed but I have read they don't travel as well and we might not be as lucky with #2. What everyone's thoughts?

How about other smaller breeds that travel well?

Thanks
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)
64 REPLIES 64

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed that this thread was bumped, so I thought I would share a recent pics of our now 2 shelties :C

Gracie on the left is close to 3 yrs old and Gavin is close to 1

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
So your first post on an RV forum to promote a dog selling website...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

kailynnbowling
Explorer
Explorer
Why not visit a local animal shelter and see if there's a mid-size or larger dog that "feels right" to you? A good shelter will screen the animals and be able to tell you which ones would suit your lifestyle. Also, Labs are an extremely popular breed in the U.S., so chances are you'll find one there. And I'm sure if you look online (***Link Removed***https://cuttinbluefarms.com/) you'll find Lab rescue societies that take care of abandoned Labs until they find a home.

Whoever the dog is, he or she is going to be very lucky to find a home with you

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Update

DW has been eagerly researching breeders in our area! 😉

We have communicated with several, pups to be born early next year... love the looks of the blue merle shelties, we will see :C

Mike

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't ask for better companions then my two Collies. They love to go wherever I'm at and sleep in the truck when traveling. Of course my truck has a Collie hair interior, LOL. I purchase the base model truck with vinyl seats and rubber flooring because it's easier to clean.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
They sound like a great pair. I love the loyalty of shepherds. Moose-dog is shepherd/poodle/newfie and he will leave me to protect our friends. If it's just me, he expects me to protect him. Bat-dog is a being unto herself. She loves only me like a good shepherd, but she tends to think with her chow and beagle brain parts and gets in trouble a lot. They are both smart, but don't try to outsmart me.

Our huskie used to escape through the locked storm door in the garage. My Dad finally put up electric wire around the door to stop him. Every morning, the dog would go out back, walk into the garage and put his foot on the door frame. If he got shocked, he went back out back. If not, he unlocked the door and left. One time, after he had gone off, he came home and my Mom noticed a different collar on him. My Dad took it off and looked at it. There was a note taped to the inside "he came by the store and wanted a new collar. We put it on your tab.". He had gone clear across town and stopped at the pet store ( owned by family friends). It was the most expensive collar in the place, of course.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I agree rescues make the best pets

I beg to differ. The BEST pet is the one that works for YOU, regardless of origin.

On the flipside, I grew up with a Siberian Husky. These dogs are extremely smart, but more importantly, they know it and they enjoy outwitting us mere humans every chance they get. There is never a moments peace because they will wait for that perfect opportunity to outwit you and then they laugh at you.

Shepherds never laugh at you.

LOL! My two springers are complete opposites. Jake is as dumb as a stump but behaves very well. Jesse is smart and will try to outwit you at every turn. He doesn't laugh per se when he wins-he just prances with a smirk on his face! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
The smarter the better. That's why when I travel, I bring a Border Collie.

I disagree. There's a lot to be said about a lazy dufus who will obey commands and not look for trouble. I love border collies but I will never get one-I don't need a dog that's smarter than me! :B Keeping certain breeds challenged and busy presents a whole new set of issues. I know, if you train your dog well yada yada yada but sometimes one who's too lazy or stupid to do anything fits the bill.[/qruote]

I like smart dogs. But there are different types of smart dogs. Border collies, shepherds, etc. are smart but they want to please you. So they tend to use their smarts in good ways.

On the flipside, I grew up with a Siberian Husky. These dogs are extremely smart, but more importantly, they know it and they enjoy outwitting us mere humans every chance they get. There is never a moments peace because they will wait for that perfect opportunity to outwit you and then they laugh at you.

Shepherds never laugh at you.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I think any will travel well if introduced to it early. I agree rescues make the best pets, they are happy to have forever homes. Every truck we have had has a bench built from the back seat to the front so Pops can see too.

One thing I think is very important is training them to load and unload on command, you don't want them jumping out into traffic.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Border Collies are a high energy dog that requires lots of activities and exercise.
This might explain my need for more caffeine.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
The best dog is the one that chooses you.

x2
in over 5 years of dog rescue work fostering, i have found this to be very very true. DW and i have 2 foster failures to prove it.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
as most replies have stated there is no tried and true answer but from my experience..... DW and i travel with 4 small dogs. a mini doxie, 2 chihuahuas, and a chi/beagle mix who is 15 yo. the 2 chis are rescue foster failures. DW and i have fostered for a chi rescue for over 5 years. they were considered special needs because of their puppy mill background. huge trust issues. thats why we adopted them after 2 years with us. they have become very sweet and loving dogs. they love be with us on trips. i always personally introduce myself to camping neighbors and ask them to notify me if our dogs ever become an annoyance by barking inside rv when we are off site. 3 years later to date no one has ever complained. we leave radio on when we leave camper for background noise, and normally aren't gone more than 3 or 4 hours. they have always traveled great. they are great watch dogs and will bark if they hear something unusual and they have extremely good hearing except for the 15 yo. i like this, no one will every break into my home or rv while im there without me knowing it.

working in dog rescue myself i can say one benefit of adopting an adult dog from a rescue that utilizes foster homes is that the foster home can give you a pretty accurate description of the dogs personality. our rescue adopts dogs on a trial basis. to make sure the dog is a good family fit before adoption is final. from time to time things don't work out and another dog is tried.

best of luck on the search.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
We recently adopted a 2=3 yr old solid Red Aussie from a shelter. Some SOB dropped her off in a ditch with two of her puppies, almost dead but still nursing her pups when found.

Vet thinks she has had 3 litters, and came from a puppy mill based on a few things she observed like the condition of her pads.

1st time camping right now, loves it, she might possibly be the best pooch we have ever had demeanor wise, sharp as a tack albeit skittish which she is slowly coming around on. 55 lbs of couch potato. Sort of wish we would of taken her two puppies also.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
More critical than the breed is the dog's socialization very early in life to different situations.

Most definitely. While you can make SOME generalizations it's mostly up to you. Ran into a woman with a Springer a few months ago and the dog was not aggressive but not comfortable meeting new people. Mine will knock you over trying to get your attention. I'd be more concerned with temperament and personality than breed.
I would agree with Crowe on this as well. It's mostly up to you to socialize. Border Collies are a high energy dog that requires lots of activities and exercise.

It's definitely a commitment to travel with a dog.