cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitches

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2020 Silverado 3500 DRW CC D/A on order.
It has the puck system, which I understand has changed in the 2020s to the same specs as the Fords.
For the last 28 years I have towed TTs with various WD hitches and am well versed in them.
I know next to nothing about 5th wheel hitches. The TH we will be getting is the Momentum 398M which is 20K GVWR.

Looking for the pros and cons of the different puck compatible hitches on the market.

TIA

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
7 REPLIES 7

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
B&W Companion Puck Hitches

This is what we have.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
B&W for me.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 2 different B&W hitches, an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection, and now a TrailerSaver TS3.

Ride-wise, you can't beat the full air ride of the TrailerSaver. Behind that was the B&W- it just worked great. Unfortunately for me, the Andersen was terrible with my truck + pin-light toy hauler.

The downside to the TrailerSaver is that they're obnoxiously heavy (300 lbs.) and very expensive (about $3k). Plus, they don't have a pucks setup for heavy rigs- it still uses rails. For the weight, I've always just hung it from my king pin and have never actually lifted it.

The B&W is much less expensive and comes out of the truck into 2 manageable pieces. Especially if you put it onto a furniture dolly after pulling it from the truck. You can just wheel it around.

The only positive I have to say about the Andersen is that it was lightweight.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Have you considered using a Reece Goose Box? When I purchase our new 3500 DRW Chevorlet recently I decided now to go back to using a 5er hitch. I purchased a Reece Goose Box 20,000 lb pin box and use the goose neck ball on the truck. I really like not having to deal with the 5er hitch and now having a clean truck bed if needed. The goose neck ball is easily removed compared to the 5er hitch. We fulltime and the Goose Box makes for a smooth comfortable ride with the shocks and airbags within it.

Reece Goose Box

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Also a lot of good information for you here
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
The B&W is a great hitch, I used one for 11 years and loved it. But IMHO with a big trailer you can't beat the TrailerSaver Air Ride Hitch. If you plan on putting a lot of miles on it you really should consider one.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
B&W Companion Puck Hitches
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31