cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

carrying Atv in short bed truck with TT

kgard1225
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I am trying to find a way to bring my atv along but the rear wheels rest on the tail gate. I do not have turning clearance with the tail gate down and can't afford a toy hauler !! Any thoughts ??? I was trying to find a half height tail gate but no luck and the atv is too heavy to lift the front up. F-250 TV. Thanks, Ken
17 REPLIES 17

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ sounds like you win
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

kgard1225
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, my wife NOW wants a used toy hauler !!!!

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
Go here and check this out www.rizerback.com
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Every truck I've owned I could adjust how much the tailgate lowers using the cables.
Raised slightly would likely prevent contact.

kgard1225
Explorer
Explorer
I just found this ... Rizerback frame to fit front tires on top of truck bed frame https://static.wixstatic.com/media/7a6a39_b36994ab70284a7e91ce26ecba2a6ccd.jpg/v1/fill/w_3264,h_2448,al_c,q_85/7a6a39_b36994ab70284a7e91ce26ecba2a6ccd.jpg

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Risers to get on top of the fuel tank. Amazon example:
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
kgard1225 wrote:
The truck bed is actually 6 3/4 ft long but I have an auxiliary fuel tank that takes up 18 inches in front. I had considered putting a couple of 2 x 12 boards under both front and back atv tires that should hold the tires. Anybody done that ?

this will work fine. could also use your loading ramps.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

kgard1225
Explorer
Explorer
Well, now I feel like an idiot !! I didn't actually drive with the tailgate down. I just looked at the trailer with the tail gate down and it didn't look like it would even be close to clearing if I turned. Off to the TT I go !!!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, hook up trailer, lower the tailgate, drive around the block making right turns. What is the question?

kgard1225
Explorer
Explorer
The truck bed is actually 6 3/4 ft long but I have an auxiliary fuel tank that takes up 18 inches in front. I had considered putting a couple of 2 x 12 boards under both front and back atv tires that should hold the tires. Anybody done that ?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You might be able to use a sideways carrier. Though at $2,500 I would try the 3/4 inch plywood idea first.
https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/atv-sxs-carriers#products
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

kgard1225
Explorer
Explorer
My TT only has a tongue weight of 500 Lbs. and dry weight 5366. The atv ( weighs 700 lbs. ) tires sit on the crack between bed and tailgate with the back half of the tires touching the tail gate a maximum of 6 inches. My 2012 f-250 SRW crew cab power stroke specs say max gvwr 10,000 lbs, payload weight rating 3290 and 3650 . I'm not sure exactly what that means but seems like the max weight on front and back of truck ??

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
1) remove tailgate and put two aluminum ramps under the wheels.

2) Use one of those big racks and load sideways over the bedrails.

3) build a ramp at the front of the bed to get the front wheels up high enough for the rears to fit on the bed.

Just three options I've seen used, I'm sure there's hundreds more.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have 5ers so my bed is unavailable so I had a local fabricator build a very stout rack on the back. The supports are "sistered" to the back 3' of the frame.

That solved the space problem but I still have to mind how much weight I put back there.

I got to thinking about it when I read your question... I bought my first pickup in 1979. It was a long bed. I've owned pickups ever since. Every one a long bed.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....