cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Repair - Lance Aluminum Roof

gregdennis53
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance camper with a one-piece aluminum roof. A tree branch fell on the roof and made two tiny - almost invisible - punctures in the roof. I am not even sure that water could get in, but I don't want to take any chances.
Suggestions on repair? Hopefully some sort of simple "paint on" rubber coating that I can just put on the spot of the puncture and not have to do the entire roof?

Thanks, and Happy Camping!
15 REPLIES 15

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
I've used JB weld for years on my Lance 815 roof for those small punctures, never a problem and easy to use.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by a Lance distributor that the underlayment on the aluminum roof of my 1995 is not as thick as the ones with rubber roofs.

He told me that if I was going to walk on my aluminum roof to make sure to step where the studs are and try not to walk in between them.

If I was going to be working on the roof like replacing vents he suggested using pieces of plywood to spread my weight.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
kohldad wrote:
Lance's roofs are very capable of walking directly on the metal...

I should hope so! I walk on my regularly. In fact, when it is in the shop, it makes a convenient platform to hang stuff from the rafters. That's where all the deck furniture hangs during the winter. I can step from my open loft directly to the camper roof, so not even climbing the ladder.

Funny thing... I always have the same thought wander through my mind whenever I am on the camper roof: I remember the salesman telling me that it was strong enough to park a small vehicle on. Yeah, total sales blather, but it likely means it is at least strong enough to walk on.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
gregdennis53 wrote:
Thank you to everyone for the help. Just returned from a quick trip - camping and picking huckleberries on Mt. Adams (Washington State). Tomorrow I will go buy a gallon of one of the sealants you recommend and patch the hole(s). I may try to do the entire roof at a future date but that will require removal of two solar panels that have been mounted up there for 16 years with zero leaks and zero problems, and I don't want to create new problems. For now I think I will just paint the patch material in a 12 inch circle around the area with the tiny holes and see what happens.

Happy Camping!

No, no, no. . .get a roll of Eternabond and patch with that. It's extremely easy and lasts a lifetime.
I've used Eternabond on campers and on a metal gutter. The gutter has been patch for about ten years now and still doesn't leak. (The campers have been replaced.)
You don't need a gallon of anything. A small roll of Eternabond can be carried with you camping for emergency (if needed) repairs.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Youngm3571
Explorer
Explorer
I’d just put a strip of Eternabond on the small holes and forget about it.

gregdennis53
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone for the help. Just returned from a quick trip - camping and picking huckleberries on Mt. Adams (Washington State). Tomorrow I will go buy a gallon of one of the sealants you recommend and patch the hole(s). I may try to do the entire roof at a future date but that will require removal of two solar panels that have been mounted up there for 16 years with zero leaks and zero problems, and I don't want to create new problems. For now I think I will just paint the patch material in a 12 inch circle around the area with the tiny holes and see what happens.

Happy Camping!

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I've been walking on my 19 yo Lance roof with no problem and it holds my 220lb (+ tools) just fine.
For roofing repairs, HD come with new generation stuff just few years ago.
I used it on my flat house roof 2 years ago and on my rubber roof on TC a year ago (2nd TC is Fleetwood). Holds great and the only issue on house tar roof is discoloration.

Link to HD site.

Thanks Kayteg1 - I think I'm going to do this to the roof of my camper.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When the Tropi-Cool IMHO is the best on the market at the time and hard to beat lifetime warranty, it is not as bulletproof as some might want to believe.
When I applied it over rubber roof joints, it went inside the cracks and level itself out, but after few days it shrink and crack.
I reapplied heavier coat over the crack and that finally stays solid.
I also had damage on front cap, what with decals who come off left faded spot visible.
So I applied Tropi-Cool over front cap as well. Only had to be gentle as the stuff runs easy. But season after it looks better than original 18 yo fiberglass.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the insulating effect, here's another advantage to using a High Solid 100% Silicone roof coating (regardless of manufacture). Should you get a rip, puncture or slice in the roofing materiel, you can make a fully bonded repair by just applying any 100% High Solid Silicone materiel to the damaged area. No need to play with sealing tapes or lap sealant. Just clean and squirt the designated caulking into the damage area; smooth and level with anything flat, and let dry. It will bond into the existing silicon roof to form a seamless repair. Usually only the color difference will give it away.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
The Henri TropicCool not only seals because it is 100% silicone but think about those silicone oven mitts and cooking utensils ! Yes, the material reflects and rejects heat. I used it to coat a steel roof on our Eureka TC after seeing rooftop temps hot enough to cook an egg. Made a huge difference.

Henri TropiCool Roof Treatment

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
gregdennis53 wrote:
I have a Lance camper with a one-piece aluminum roof. A tree branch fell on the roof and made two tiny - almost invisible - punctures in the roof. I am not even sure that water could get in, but I don't want to take any chances.
Suggestions on repair? Hopefully some sort of simple "paint on" rubber coating that I can just put on the spot of the puncture and not have to do the entire roof?

Thanks, and Happy Camping!

Snow Seal..I coat all my aluminum roofs with Snow Seal coating..Keeps it cool inside also...Never ever had a leak using this product on multiple truck campers and trailers.

It will seal the pinholes in your roof and never leak..I would do the whole roof though and keep it cooler inside on the hot sunny days.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
When I removed the TV antenna from my Lance, I made a patch using a roll of aluminum flashing, and Eternabond double-stick tape. Cover the hole with the patch, then use any of the roof coating products recommended above.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been walking on my 19 yo Lance roof with no problem and it holds my 220lb (+ tools) just fine.
For roofing repairs, HD come with new generation stuff just few years ago.
I used it on my flat house roof 2 years ago and on my rubber roof on TC a year ago (2nd TC is Fleetwood). Holds great and the only issue on house tar roof is discoloration.

Link to HD site.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Lance's roofs are very capable of walking directly on the metal. However, kneeling in one spot can compress the underlayment slightly but won't damage the roof.

You can either use a little rubber paint like specta suggested or add a touch spot of dicor sealant. We do an annual paint of the seams with an elastic paint made by Hengs. Just make sure you clean the spot including the depression to ensure a good adhesion.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)