cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Insurance questions

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of changing our insurance. Until now I bundled everything with one company. I am very interested in Amica insurance but they do not offer RV insurance for a towable. They will cover a motorized RV though.

If I want to get just a policy on my 5th wheel what companies should I consider and which to avoid as well as why.

I do store my 5th wheel in a storage facility when not in use.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
12 REPLIES 12

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here,

I should have mentioned that we currently have Farmers and Foremost is the RV portion.

I guess I need to check to see if I can keep the Foremost if I drop all of the other Farmers Insurance?

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We have Nationwide on vehicles and homes but they don't want to insure RVs or motorcycles. For the RVs and motorcycle, we have Progressive.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
We too are looking for new insurance coverage for our RV. Currently bundled with Progressive; just got our renewal and we're paying just as much for our RV insurance as our homeowners.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of changing my auto and homeowners insurance from Allstate to Travelers. I had my agent check on my RV insurance too which I have through Progressive and she ran it through Safeco and Foremost. They were both higher but everyone's situation is different.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
American Family has standalone ins for our TC and boat/trailer so I'd imagine they do other towables too.
Bottom line just shop around and find the best rate for the coverage you want.
I don't believe for a second that the "service" offered from one company to he next is repeatably better than others. Based on positive and negative experiences with a host of "premium" companies. From great service to outright fraud.
One thing is, it pays to shop around every so often, if you get a sniff of your rates going up without a material reason (at fault accident or something). Insurance companies are no different than your Cable TV or cell phone service, except that their "introductory" rates last longer usually and you don't know going into it when the great rate will end.
Last one was Progressive, had them for all the stuff with wheels for quite a while prob more than 10 years and several different states.
2 years ago, went to add a new car, got a quote on the whole policy, seemed like minor increase across the board, then the 6 month renewal hit a month later and everything jumped up by like 25-30% (no claims tickets accidents etc to cause it). Was told it's simply a market adjustment.
Got a new policy for about $800 less a year somewhere else, same or better coverage.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that Nationwide also has a program. They cut way back in their appetite several years ago and generally require other policies to write an RV.

Keith

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg,

There are basically 5 companies that have stand alone RV policies. These policies provide complete RV coverage including contents, liability, awning/solar panel coverage with no depreciation, additional expense coverage and some offer storage discounts. (Also total replacement coverage on newly insured RV's) You don't want to involve you homeowners and present a second claim with a second deductible. Sometimes it is best to include your tow vehicle with the 5th wheel. If you are in an accident both will probably be damaged

National General
Progressive
Safeco
Foremost
GEICO

If you call Good Sam Insurance Agency we can quote the first 4 for you. I am not saying other carriers won't cover it for you but they don't have complete programs for the RV enthusiast.

Keith - Director of Good Sam Insurance Agency

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We have everything thru State Farm . Policy's since 1968. I have switched a couple times but come right back. I had roof damage on the 5er , my fault back in March, and absolutely no hassle and rapid pay. I now have to have a new roof on house and have the check in hand waiting on roofer.

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our 5th wheel in 2018, our lender required full replacement coverage. We use an independent insurance agent with access to several insurance companies. Most of our insurance is with AAA, but our agent found the best deal for our 5th wheel insurance with Nationwide.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Foremost "IS" Farmers subsidiary, my agent looked into them but found adding to Truck policy was less expensive at the same or better coverage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Explorer II
Explorer II
Foremost
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say who you are currently insured with, but I'm insured with AllState and been very pleased with them. Of course, we have everything insured through them ... house, auto's, trailer, even life insurance. We used them for rental insurance in our younger days. AllState may not be the cheapest, but they are definitely trouble free when making a claim.

We had one situation when my teen-age son was involved in an accident and the other guy's insurance lawyers started threatening law suits and such directly at us. AllState's lawyers jumped in and proved the other guy was committing fraud, (proved it), and the other insurance ended up paying everything. We never set foot inside a court room. AllState lawyers took completely over when we received that threatening letter. Sweet.

For such service as this, we've been loyal to AllState ever since.

One thing you need to consider if you break ranks from your house insurance company:

Our homeowners policy covers us while we are camping. In other words, it covers all the contents of our camper (personal property), including computer theft. Also, while camping ... slip and fall is covered under our home owners policy, as well as dog bites and such.

As explained to us, if we took the camper and shook it upside down, everything that falls out is covered under our homeowners .... NOT the trailer insurance.

Trailer insurance covers damage to the trailer when not in tow, including theft.

When in tow, any damage is covered under the automobile policy.

So you really need to make sure if you break the "bundle", you are truly covered for every possibility.