cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to wire 6-6V batteries-Oh yes, I'm still here

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that have responded to my query. So I'll let it be known, I'M NOT GOOD WITH 12V WIRING. Series vs. Parrallel-- Daisy chain, those words don't mean a whole lot to me.
I've looked at all of the diagrams and I DO understand the drawings and how to wire them.
SO HERE'S THE TWIST in my situation. The diagrams show 1 (one) black (negative) wire coming in to the set (6) batteries and 1 (one) red (positive) coming in.

MY SITUATION is I have 2 (two) Black (negative) wires coming in to my (current) 4-6volt AGM's and 2 (two) Red (positive) wires coming it to my bank.
I'd go on from there trying to explain how I connected the additional 2-6v AGM's but I'd probably just confuse everyone.
So, I can attach a picture of the current wiring diagram and how I attempted to connect the additional 2 BUT SOMEONE IS GOING TO HAVE TO INSTRUCT ME ON HOW TO ATTACH A PICTURE.

HELP!
13 REPLIES 13

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have made suggestions regarding the wiring of 6-6v batteries. I appreciate it very much. Have learned much about the 12v "thing". Case solved.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Stephen, A round trip, first class plane ticket would save you a lot of time and worry. Not to mention the costs of a screw-up. BUDDY...............

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
He is not still here.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Smart-ass here was having a good-old-time with this thread when I realized I have forgotten where Mr. Wizard's connection of his 100 amp DC panel meter, The inductive coil goes in the positive cable?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Use this app to post pics.

As to the double wires going to the battery bank, my guess is that the reds and blacks are connected somewhere down the line. Something like boths blacks going to a single ground lug and both reds going to the inverter. If so, then connect 2 six volt batteries in series (one positive to one negative), then 1 red to the other positive and a black to the other negative each set of 2.

I am amazed nobody has questioned the diagram. I have done something like that with an inverter that has two pos and two negs, where you put one set on one battery set and the other on another battery set. That saves having to wire the two battery sets in parallel.

It assumes each battery set will do half the work and accept half the charging. With AGMs you can't afford to make that assumption when trying to recharge them to full.

You can't do that with three battery sets. The OP's two reds could be one for the converter and one for the slide.

There is much un-said in that diagram --eg inverter neg to where?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I modified jplante4's picture above to include a third pair of 6 volt batteries at the bottom of the picture. The dotted lines are all options to wire your third pair into your existing setup.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
teeznu wrote:
TSeries vs. Parrallel -- Daisy chain, those words don't mean a whole lot to me. !
Series: + to -, parallel: + to +.

There.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is confusing. Be careful and do some more research. I think you want to run pairs of 6v batteries in series to create pairs of 12v. iplante4 appears to have it right.

Not sure what you need all of that storage for. Consider going to lithium.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Wait, method 3 shows wiring for 12 volt batteries. Many of us could deduce the correct wiring based on knowledge of series wiring, but the OP said they are completely confused by it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
for any odd number of batteries (3 six volt pairs) only method #3 at the smartguage site should be used.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still you are going to use a single point to connect ALL wires from/to the RV.
Where the diagram shows to connect the negative... connect ALL negatives.
Where the diagram shows to connect the positive... connect ALL the positive cables.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Use this app to post pics.

As to the double wires going to the battery bank, my guess is that the reds and blacks are connected somewhere down the line. Something like boths blacks going to a single ground lug and both reds going to the inverter. If so, then connect 2 six volt batteries in series (one positive to one negative), then 1 red to the other positive and a black to the other negative each set of 2.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to post pic.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate