cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel or bumper pull

MLWalton
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, new guy here. I have a 2019 F-250 6.2L 3:73 and debating on getting a 5th wheel or bumper pull TT. The 5th wheel I'm looking at has a dry weight of 10k and is 35 feet in length where as the bumper pull is 39 feet in length and it's dry weight is 8300#. Please give me some opinions on why you would chose one over the other. Thank you all in advance for helping the new guy.
42 REPLIES 42

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP,
No doubt that a 5er will tow better than an equally equipped bumper pull but 2 valid reasons I remain on the bumper.

1. My building won't support the SIGNIFICANT height difference.
2. I require all of the truck bed each and everytime out.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JCK wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Worse excuse ever IMHO! "First, we didnโ€™t like the steps" Other reasons are understandable.

Cummins 12V98 Along with full use of truck bed , lower overall height my barn has a 12 foot door. As for the steps to bed room and sometimes a small step 4 inch which the bed sits on. My wife one night in the dark and only half awake fell or tripped of the small ledge. That did it for us any more a flat floor plan from then on. No more fivers for us

Bottom line it's nice to have choices!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Worse excuse ever IMHO! "First, we didnโ€™t like the steps" Other reasons are understandable.

Cummins 12V98 Along with full use of truck bed , lower overall height my barn has a 12 foot door. As for the steps to bed room and sometimes a small step 4 inch which the bed sits on. My wife one night in the dark and only half awake fell or tripped of the small ledge. That did it for us any more a flat floor plan from then on. No more fivers for us
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

Heck even with my short bed Ive got room for lots of fire wood or ice chests. When did having a 5er mean you couldnt use the bed?

Fake News!!!

Come on lets be honest about pros and cons. Yes you can still use the bed but it's dramatically compromised compared to towing a TT. I even banged up my generator a little bit on our last trip trying to use the bed.

I think both are fine. To me the pros of the fifth wheel are the shorter overall package and better towing characteristics, while the pro of the TT is a wide open truck bed. I think we're about 50/50 on which style we'll go with when the kids get a little bigger and we want to make a change. Either way it'll be a toy hauler, though.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"many 5ers have basements that have almost as much space as a long bed With a cap"

I have been thinking about renting out my basement. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
BigDinAZ wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Snip...
Once again personal choice, but there is still a lot of usable space in the bed.

This is a true statement. With our long bed, we have more than enough room for stuff in the bed.

Heck even with my short bed Ive got room for lots of fire wood or ice chests. When did having a 5er mean you couldnt use the bed?

Fake News!!!
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Those new morryde steps would def be a deal breaker for me. If a new trailer I was looking at had them I would not purchase that trailer TT or 5th wouldn't matter. Those steps to me are absolutely useless. Cons to me are: Where I park it at home I wouldn't be able to set them down so I couldn't get into the trailer when stored at home. Secondly when traveling those steps come out far and we get into the trailer every time we get fuel. I can see someone coming past them and taking them out for sure. Thirdly the fact that they take up so much room inside the trailer when up. A larger rig has 2 sets. Say one is in the bedroom you're stopped along side the road somewhere for the night you can't even walk around the bed in most I've seen with a bedroom door. Dumbest design ever for people who actually still utilize their trailer while traveling.

Pro? Well honestly I see not one as I've never had a trailer that didn't have stable steps :R
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

BigDinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Well unless the bed is totally full of ice chest in a long bed there is lots of space available for ice chest, at least enough for sloppy ones. That and many 5ers have basements that have almost as much space as a long bed With a cap.
It is all personal choice, but just because there is a hitch in the bed doesnโ€™t mean you canโ€™t put anything in the bed. In fact one still has a good amount of bed space available.
I always enjoyed having all the stuff already in the 5er ready to go at a moments notice.
Once again personal choice, but there is still a lot of usable space in the bed.

This is a true statement. With our long bed, we have more than enough room for stuff in the bed.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew-cab Long Box DRW, 6.7L Cummins Diesel, 4:10 rear, 14,000 GVWR, 5,704 Payload, 30,300 GCWR.

2019 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 30RLS, 34', triple slide, 11,000GVWR.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
campigloo wrote:
We went with the TT for two main reasons. First, we didnโ€™t like the steps. Second and probably more important is one that most people donโ€™t have. Itโ€™s using the bed of the truck. Itโ€™s nice to carry several ice chests and buckets and fishing poles. We fish in the Gulf of Mexico and carry live fish, minnows and other small fish for bait. If the bucket sloshes water around, if the shrimp jump out and cant be found, if we want to cut a fish and use half of him itโ€™s no big deal. Ok, not what you asked for but the beach sure is fun!
Moral of the story, camping is not always neat and clean. We like to have a place to put wet or dirty or stinky things somewhere other than in the trailer storage bins.

Well unless the bed is totally full of ice chest in a long bed there is lots of space available for ice chest, at least enough for sloppy ones. That and many 5ers have basements that have almost as much space as a long bed With a cap.
It is all personal choice, but just because there is a hitch in the bed doesnโ€™t mean you canโ€™t put anything in the bed. In fact one still has a good amount of bed space available.
I always enjoyed having all the stuff already in the 5er ready to go at a moments notice.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MLWalton
Explorer
Explorer
Wow some interesting responses for sure. Thank you all for taking the time to post.

BigDinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
To each his (or her) own. I like the 5th wheel because it fits the way we want to do things.
This is why they make Class A, Class C, 5th wheels, travel trailers, campers and the list goes on.
We can all choose what fits our style.

Some like boondocking some like hookups, yet others prefer tents.

The important thing is not only that you do it, but that you have fun doing it.

D
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew-cab Long Box DRW, 6.7L Cummins Diesel, 4:10 rear, 14,000 GVWR, 5,704 Payload, 30,300 GCWR.

2019 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 30RLS, 34', triple slide, 11,000GVWR.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
We went with the TT for two main reasons. First, we didnโ€™t like the steps. Second and probably more important is one that most people donโ€™t have. Itโ€™s using the bed of the truck. Itโ€™s nice to carry several ice chests and buckets and fishing poles. We fish in the Gulf of Mexico and carry live fish, minnows and other small fish for bait. If the bucket sloshes water around, if the shrimp jump out and cant be found, if we want to cut a fish and use half of him itโ€™s no big deal. Ok, not what you asked for but the beach sure is fun!
Moral of the story, camping is not always neat and clean. We like to have a place to put wet or dirty or stinky things somewhere other than in the trailer storage bins.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Well there you go... If youโ€™ve never pulled a 5er then yes youโ€™ll think your bumper pulls really nice.

You have to go up stairs every time you go in/out your bumper pull. Whats a couple more?? Dont get the fire comment. All 5ers have escape windows.

Let me just say normally pulling my TT is like sitting in front of the TV and watching a travel program but I am in it. Get it?? I am at ease with my rig why would I change ??? Secondly for a 5er as big as mine loaded would cost about 35000 to 40000 more. Now lets put in a new heavier truck and more costly insurance. Get it??
Lastly you go in and out but a few times.... you go to the bathroom or change or nap in the bed room. In the TT you just go back and forth in a 5er you'll be up and down those stairs often and my wife has issues and so do I on occasion. You must not be a beer drinker LOL.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.