cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

diesel prices along I40

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a while yesterday evening and this evening trying to find diesel prices along I40. The five major brands are all about the same within ten cents or so either side of 3.00 a gallon and you have to search each state and not I40 stops on one site.
Gas Buddy the only diesel prices it will show is Maine. Go from there to another state and gas prices is all it will show me. Wants me to join and then says it can't read my GPS pr something....well I sitting at home. It wants me to sign up for gas card it appears to view diesel prices.
I know I can beat the price of the big five.Wal Mart was 2.39 two days ago. We can make it in and out if we time it right.
another location east of there has it for 2.29. We will fill up there when we pick up the coach.
If mods will let us or there is another forum posting prices along major highway like I40, will save a lot of money. 900.00 roughly to kingman at 3.00 gallon. at 2.29 gallon, about 600.00.
Don't mind driving a block or two to save possibly as much as 600.00 total or 6000.00 round trip.
14 REPLIES 14

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The TSD program is completely awesome "IF" you can find a Love's truckstop near you. I saved over .40/gallon off retail. It really does not discount PFJ much at all (I think the PFJ RV discount is better) and T/A isn't much better. The good news is that there are NO fees. It's designed for a fill-up of at least 100 gallons but there is no penalty if you don't. However, if you don't, on a regular basis, I suspect you will be dropped as this costs the company money.
I have a 205 gallon fuel tank so taking on 100 gallons is a no-brainer. YMMV.

With all due respect, I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it is incorrect on a couple of points.

1. There is no minimum gallons per purchase requirement. Joy Hanson, CFO of TSD, has made this very clear.
2. There most certainly is a fee, however it's very reasonable at 10% of the savings between the retail price and TSD's published price for that day.
2a. If you use your EFS card at a location that TSD does not have a discount program with (you're paying full retail price), they will process the transaction and not charge any fee.
3. The nationwide average savings for Love's and T/A is virtually identical at 43¢ per gallon, which certainly make T/A a viable option depending on location. Of course there may be differences in a particular area.

One of the features of fueling at Love's is once you have added your EFS card info to the Love's app you can start the pump from your smartphone and not have to swipe the card.

You are correct regarding PFJ locations as TSD does not use those locations very often. Therefore the 5% (4.5% after fees) is merely a token gesture, and those that have a PFJ/GoodSam discount will do better.

Keep in mind the reason TSD is offering and maintaining this program is because their discounts depend on the gallons purchased under their name. That's why your EFS card is issued in the name of Tri-State Delivery, which was TSD Logistics name when they originally started business in 1980.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The TSD program is completely awesome "IF" you can find a Love's truckstop near you. I saved over .40/gallon off retail. It really does not discount PFJ much at all (I think the PFJ RV discount is better) and T/A isn't much better. The good news is that there are NO fees. It's designed for a fill-up of at least 100 gallons but there is no penalty if you don't. However, if you don't, on a regular basis, I suspect you will be dropped as this costs the company money.
I have a 205 gallon fuel tank so taking on 100 gallons is a no-brainer. YMMV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
If you'd like to save from 30¢ to 50¢ per gallon on diesel at Love's and/or TA, you might want to take a look at this TSD Logistics Fuel Discount Program
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
We use Gas Buddy all the time for Diesel. Never had a problem. I've never joined anything there. If you are using Gas Buddy on your cell phone / I-phone, do you have your phone settings to prevent internet applications from using your phone's GPS? Maybe that's what's going on?

I don't know what the problem is. I do have cookies blocked though.

Murphy Gas(Wal-Mart) also has a fuel app that will show their locations/prices as well and allow you to accumulate points. I think it's 1 gal/point and for every 100 points equals .10 cents off per gallon max 20 gallons at a time. Might help a little bit.

Anyway, you have to make sure that location services are turned on for the app to work and the GasBuddy app has option where you can look for only a certain type of fuel.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We use Gas Buddy all the time for Diesel. Never had a problem. I've never joined anything there. If you are using Gas Buddy on your cell phone / I-phone, do you have your phone settings to prevent internet applications from using your phone's GPS? Maybe that's what's going on?

I don't know what the problem is. I do have cookies blocked though.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
I don't understand the math either. Assuming a 3000 miles one way trip, 6000 miles round trip. IF you average 10 MPG (to make the math easy), it will take 600 gallons.

At $3/gal, it will cost $1800
At $2.3/gal it will cost $1380. - a savings of $420 on the total trip.

Having said that, I put about 30k miles a year in my coach and an app called "Fuelbook" that was developed for truckers. You put in your destination , it finds the route, and gives you the 10 lowest prices for diesel along the route that are within 1 mile of the route. All of the locations have truck lanes - this is a huge benefit for me over GasBuddy.

The only issue I have with the app is that it doesn't seem to include Flying J's. Not a big deal to me since they're usually high priced anyway, but I like to stop at them occasionally when I need to get propane.

10mpg in a diesel pusher. I hear of these fabulous figures but don't see them.
In our 2005 F350 dualie at 62mph 1900 rpm on cruise we got something like 21mpg and no one would believe me. Towing I don't remember but posted here I think a long long time ago. It might have been 8 mpg.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I’m not sure I’m following the arithmetic.
How many miles a year do you drive that 20 cents a gallon can save $6000 or even $600?

3.00 avg.-2.29 is seventy one cents a gallon. Not sure what stations a fe block off the Interstate are elsewhere.
The .29 per gallon price was right off the exit however last week.
Two days ago the 2.39 price was at a walMart/Murphy station about 3 blocks from Interstate.
6 miles a gallon 2400 miles one way roughly 400 gallons x .71= 288.00 savings both ways if I could save that much per gallon would be 576.00.
I said 600.00 my bad.
I also said 300gallons at 3.00 or 900.00. It twas late. Should have said 400 gallons or 4 100 gallon tanks.
Hopefully will get better mileage by holding speed down to 60 or so which seems impossible.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remember stopping at a Loves in Georgia where diesel was $3.09. I hit Gas Buddy and 1/2 mile away at a Kroger it was $2.59 + I got another 2 cents off because I had a Kroger card. 52 cents a gallon less saved me $39 on 75 gallons.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand the math either. Assuming a 3000 miles one way trip, 6000 miles round trip. IF you average 10 MPG (to make the math easy), it will take 600 gallons.

At $3/gal, it will cost $1800
At $2.3/gal it will cost $1380. - a savings of $420 on the total trip.

Having said that, I put about 30k miles a year in my coach and an app called "Fuelbook" that was developed for truckers. You put in your destination , it finds the route, and gives you the 10 lowest prices for diesel along the route that are within 1 mile of the route. All of the locations have truck lanes - this is a huge benefit for me over GasBuddy.

The only issue I have with the app is that it doesn't seem to include Flying J's. Not a big deal to me since they're usually high priced anyway, but I like to stop at them occasionally when I need to get propane.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used Gas Buddy to find diesel prices and never had to sign up for a CC. Used it from Nashville to California earlier this year along 40 without issue.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I find Gas Buddy diesel prices all over the county.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’m not sure I’m following the arithmetic.
How many miles a year do you drive that 20 cents a gallon can save $6000 or even $600?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
So...create a Gas Buddy account. No need to sign up for a credit card. It's free. I can find diesel prices for any city I type in.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand