Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Traveling through Canada with Dogs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Traveling through Canada with Dogs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As has been stated, it's unusual that they will want to see them, but will likely at least ask if you have them or if the dog is up to date on it's shots.

I've bred dogs for more than 30 years and have crossed (both directions) more often than I care to remember and have only been asked to produce records once or twice a year.

They're usually far more concerned about dog food than the dogs themselves.

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point on the dog food. We clipped out the label and ingredients list (making sure to show country of origin mfg) and taped it to the dog food containers that stay in the RV.

2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1Kw solar, 500 AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2018 journey we brought our dog, had all the the papers that were needed, never were we asked to show them coming and going. None the less have them just in case.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with our cat, which requires “ papers” as well.
We have been asked once coming back into Canada if our cat had its shot and papers, we said yup... that was it.
The USA side once .... They wanted to see the cat, which rides in the back of the camper.... we said be careful she is nasty our hand kids are afraid of her and will try to jump out the door when you open it. The guy said you do have papers, we said yup...handed back our passports and waved us through... The lady officer that was with him laughed and laughed.... we just grinned and drove off to AZ for the winter...
The type of food seams to be the biggest issue with going into the USA, nothing about food coming back into Canada for us anyways.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All those that say.."but never been asked"....let me assure you, that lots of people are asked, going either direction, and no papers means your trip just came to a crashing halt.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

All those that say.."but never been asked"....let me assure you, that lots of people are asked, going either direction, and no papers means your trip just came to a crashing halt.

Gary Haupt

I believe that everyone who said they were not asked then said you should bring papers in case the fickle finger of fate should pick you. There a trivia reference included for free....

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 02:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

We went thru getting the papers route before we went thru north of Glacier. The Canadian Border agent didn't want to see any papers and acted like he didn't know what we were talking about.

Sounds like you were offering up information the CBSA Officer did not ask about and was not interested in. Best to answer questions 'asked' with answers that are honest and directly related to the specific question. Nothing more is required.

For either side, vaccination records are all that is generally required. If the Officer sees the animal acting ill or aggressive, then they may ask additional questions.

Lakeside

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

I believe that everyone who said they were not asked then said you should bring papers in case the fickle finger of fate should pick you. There a trivia reference included for free....

"Say goodnight, Dick."

"Goodnight, Dick"

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

"Say goodnight, Dick."

"Goodnight, Dick"

LOL I had to think for a minute before that came back. For those who are mystified still. I forgot the Flying part it was the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Traveling through Canada with Dogs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS