cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Phone/email question

salem
Explorer
Explorer
When I check my email account on my Samsung phone I get a message that reads YOU MUST RE-ENTER YOUR PASSWORD FOR YOUR (gives my account name) (IMAP). This just started yesterday. I have no idea what IMAP means. Anyone ever experience this before?
15 REPLIES 15

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I kept playing around, trying different tactics, and it finally accepted my new password. Everything seems to be fine now. Thanks for those explanations, I had no idea what IMAP was. I was afraid I was being hijacked.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
In July, Google increased security and many apps (programs) are having issues. If the app is not on Google's verified list, then it has issues.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
salem wrote:
When I check my email account on my Samsung phone I get a message that reads YOU MUST RE-ENTER YOUR PASSWORD FOR YOUR (gives my account name) (IMAP). This just started yesterday. I have no idea what IMAP means. Anyone ever experience this before?

I know you have a Samsung and this is apples to oranges. But I've run into this problem a few times on my iPhone. Does it only happen when sending mail, or does it also happen when receiving mail?

The first thing I always do is use my desktop computer to connect to my email. Sometimes it's a notice of change of service that I have to acknowledge that once done the messages stop and the email starts flowing again.

Sometimes I have to go into the phone and enter the password again. although it seems that depending on the service (gmail, hotmail, etc)there may be more than one area I need to visit on the phone to get it fixed.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RayJayco wrote:
IMAP is Instant Messaging Protocol. When phones are used for email and you use POP3, when an attachment is received, no other message will be able to be received until the attachment is fully downloaded...
With IMAP, you get all of the emails and only DL the attachments that you want to see, avoiding a 'log jamb'...

IMAP meaning: (Internet Message Access Protocol)

Like the OP, you are generalizing (no definition of what app is being used on a phone to access an email account or what server hosts the email account you are accessing) so your statement is only true in some environments.

Not a criticism of RayJayco but just a comment about all the responses to the OP that, while well meaning, are not based on sufficient definition of ones environment. This leads to irrelevant suggestions and outright false assertions (mostly related to IMAP vs POP3) depending on the answer to what email access app and email account server(s) one is accessing.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
IMAP is Instant Messaging Protocol. When phones are used for email and you use POP3, when an attachment is received, no other message will be able to be received until the attachment is fully downloaded...
With IMAP, you get all of the emails and only DL the attachments that you want to see, avoiding a 'log jamb'...
Inquiring minds want to know...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use Webmail. and my (Most E-mail providers including Hot mail Yahoo and G-mail offer web access and many ISPs use one of them or have their own Web mail service)

That way the infectious spam never even sees my machine. IT's deleted at the host. Also I can use any device. Phone, tablet, computer, other computer (other computer, other computer, other computer, library computer. any device) to read my mail and not save it less I want to.

I once had to present a copy of a utility bill to rent a car
I used the Car Rental Agency (Enterprise) to access my E-mail and print out my phone bill.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
The IMAP is the protocol used by your email account to send/receive mail. This protocol allows for the messages to stay on the server after being read to recall at a later time if needed.

The big benefit of IMAP, is that all of your folders can live on the server and then you can access all of your mail from any device !

The other common protocol is POP. With POP, as soon as you are logged in, all of your new mail is downloaded to that device. On a device like a phone, you can eat up storage space quickly.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
It's Outlook Express. Thanks, I may have to try something different.

On PCs with Windows, I have been using Thunderbird for over 10 years. It works great !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman

client = fancy word for program.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
festag wrote:
I advise looking into a different client or updating the one you have if an update is available
Why do you use a client?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

salem
Explorer
Explorer
It's Outlook Express. Thanks, I may have to try something different.

festag
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using Gmail, you may need to change a security setting to allow โ€œless secureโ€ apps access to your account depending upon the email client you are using. To change this setting, go to you Google account page, select Security and the scroll down to the Less Secure App Access setting and turn this on. If it is your email client that is causing the issue, this will get you up and running. I advise looking into a different client or updating the one you have if an update is available.

I just had this same issue on my laptop when trying to use an older version of Outlook to access my email. Changing the above setting resolved the login issue.
Guy and Georgia :W
2019 Fleetwood Southwind 36P

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both of you. I changed my password, just to be safe. When I log in to this message it then asks for my name, and then some other questions that make no sense to me. There is never a button to hit "enter." I think I'll stop by the Verizon store the next rip to town. Again, thanks to both of you. It was probably time I changed my password anyway.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
The IMAP is the protocol used by your email account to send/receive mail. This protocol allows for the messages to stay on the server after being read to recall at a later time if needed. The log in request probably means the email servers are having issues with the log in request. Contact your account provider to find out if they are having problems. If they report no problems it may be time to change passwords to protect yourself.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI