Did you mean:ย 

Standby Sams

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
This post is directed to

Ella

Good Sam Care Team Administrator.

In 2017 I madea trip to Dallas,TX and back to Appleton,WI.

For that trip I printed out the Standby Sams in the states I would be traveling through just in case trouble arose.

On Aug 6th I left for Pensacola,FL.

I could not find Standby Sams to print out states like I had previously done. After inquiring found out the program had been dropped supposedly due to "lack of use".

On the way home from Pensacola I broke down in Memphis,TN. It sure would have been nice to have had some Standby Sams available.

"Lack of use" of the Standby Sam program I think would be a good thing.
How did you determine whether it was being used or not?

Good Sam has never inquired whether I've been called by a member or if I have ever called a member.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B
12 REPLIES 12

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:
ependydad wrote:
What's the point of this post? This was a multi-page thread the last time you asked it:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29934766/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

beemerphile1 on 08/22/19 08:23pm

You asked essentially the same thing a month ago and got no official response.

I would suggest you ask it in the "Good Sam Club" section rather than "General RVing Issues". The staff seems to monitor that section although you'll likely only get a canned answer.

This post was directed to Ella a "Good Sam Care Team Member"

Thought was that I would get a response from a "Care Team Member"

Obviously I was wrong.

Posted By: azdryheat on 08/22/19 12:36pm

Actually, I do everything I can prior to a trip to make sure there are no problems. One thing that happens a lot to trailers is tire failure. On my 5th wheels I've put truck tires on and in seven years and many cross-country trips I've never had a tire failure. Just one example of how I plan ahead.

Truck had a full DOT inspection,grease,oil,filter,antifreeze flush and fill, a week before trip.

Like you I run LT tires on truck and trailer and had not had a breakdown in 16 years.

C.B.

The "Good Sam Care Team" seems to only monitor the Good Sam section, thus my suggestion to post in the GS Club section.

If you want to ask a specific person a specific question, why not send them a PM? (private message)
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
What's the point of this post? This was a multi-page thread the last time you asked it:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29934766/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

beemerphile1 on 08/22/19 08:23pm

I would suggest you ask it in the "Good Sam Club" section rather than "General RVing Issues". The staff seems to monitor that section although you'll likely only get a canned answer.

This post was directed to Ella a "Good Sam Care Team Member"

Thought was that I would get a response from a "Care Team Member"

Obviously I was wrong.

Posted By: azdryheat on 08/22/19 12:36pm

Actually, I do everything I can prior to a trip to make sure there are no problems. One thing that happens a lot to trailers is tire failure. On my 5th wheels I've put truck tires on and in seven years and many cross-country trips I've never had a tire failure. Just one example of how I plan ahead.

Truck had a full DOT inspection,grease,oil,filter,antifreeze flush and fill, a week before trip.

Like you I run LT tires on truck and trailer and had not had a breakdown in 16 years.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Join FMCA they have a program similar to the Good Sam one AND you get the plan that will return you home for medical reason FREE. FMCA is now open to all RV's
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they could bring you a sandwich?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
C.B. wrote:

On the way home from Pensacola I broke down in Memphis,TN. It sure would have been nice to have had some Standby Sams available.

C.B.

What could a average Standby Sam even do for you being broke down, a tow truck and mechanic would be my 1st choice..

Its not like they would the have tools or knowledge to fix ?

:h
At the very least they could give advice on who to call... Then they might also come to give support...

I believe that is what the Good Sam club was started as - a bunch of good samaritanns wanting to help.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:

C.B.

What could a average Standby Sam even do for you being broke down, a tow truck and mechanic would be my 1st choice..

Its not like they would the have tools or knowledge to fix ?

:h

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Been a GS member for 12 years, as well as listed as a Standby Sam. Never received any calls which I would have assisted if possible. Too bad as it is a good idea, in theory at least.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a Standby Sam I was always ready to help anyone who might call. Never worried about the .1% of the people who would call and not be decent. Sorry the program was recently ended but it is what it is. Now I don't need to e ready to help when you have a problem.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
The program might have been something to consider in the past but not in today's world. I'm sure 99.9% of the members were wonderful decent people but that .1% is what would worry me. At least when you call a business for help, you can check reviews and take other precautions before calling them and get some sort of feeling whether they are reputable or not. That's not to say you can't have a problem in that situation as well but I would feel more comfortable than calling some random person that signed up to help that you know nothing about.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of Standby Sams but if it's anything like GS Roadside Assistance it's probably a bust. I do like the RV Parks button at the top of this page, which works very well. I must admit that it has never occurred to me to plan for failure. Guess that's why I've never had a failure, lol.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE