cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter trip planning

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Just beginning to think about our 3 or 4 months on the road this coming winter. And..Yellowstone comes to mind. Anyone have some good insights? I have a very capable 24 C, if that helps in your thoughts. Well insulated and with Thermo windows. Would need to clear the water lines, of course.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
19 REPLIES 19

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Gary, Doesnโ€™t sound like bragging....simply, just the facts. We are set-up well (a Bigfoot Class C) for winter camping....just โ€œnotโ€ โ€œwinter travelโ€. At least not far off road! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
Dan...with the lifted body I can deal with a foot? of snow. But I always have to be wary of hitting the front transfer case...known as the pumpkin. I never go in very far from a well traveled road. If the snow mmachines are in, then I can get in and out. Plus, if there was a serious dump overnight, many shovel/short work. Asking questions of people that are in the area is also key.

We don't do the hiking that you folks so, although I will toss in our shnowshoes and we'll see what that brings. I take photos and we hang out lots. It is all about the adventure and the adventure starts when we leave home and ends when we get back.

It's kindof too bad about that (necessary?) lifted body from the 4X4 conversion. If it wasn't for that, you could easily fix the front pumpkin clearance issue with larger than stock diameter tires ... which also nicely lifts all suspension components -> but does make worse the high center of gravity problem from the lifted body. As you know, and E450 chassis underneath would also have widened the rear stance a bit so as to help with at least "the uneasy feeling" of a high CG on side-tipped road surfaces.

I have larger diameter tires on our E450 24 foot Class C for better ground clearance everywhere, but they are not wider tires - so as to not lessen the inter-tire clearance between the dully tire sidewalls in the rear.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
If it were me I'd find a cabin or hotel. There's no such thing as a well insulated RV. My trailer is supposedly 4 season but I can assure you, with those thin walls and we've been in the snow, that it isn't.

Amount/quality of insulation does not have to be a game-ending condition if: Your rig has a large capacity propane furnace (with distributed ducting) for it's size - and preferrably without slides, your rig has access to enough propane, your rig has all fresh water plumbing and it's freshwater tank inside the coach's warmed environment, your rig has heated black and grey water tanks and their dump valves.

Gary's 4WD Class C probably has all the above - as ours does (except for unfortunately not being 4WD).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Dan...with the lifted body I can deal with a foot? of snow. But I always have to be wary of hitting the front transfer case...known as the pumpkin. I never go in very far from a well traveled road. If the snow mmachines are in, then I can get in and out. Plus, if there was a serious dump overnight, many shovel/short work. Asking questions of people that are in the area is also key.

We don't do the hiking that you folks so, although I will toss in our shnowshoes and we'll see what that brings. I take photos and we hang out lots. It is all about the adventure and the adventure starts when we leave home and ends when we get back.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, for example, this place is about 8 miles west of West Yellowstone, just off the highway:

Click For Full-Size Image.

It's at 44 40.427 North, 111 16.440 West. But as you can see by all the vehicles parked on the loop, it is not exactly an undiscovered gem.

Having said that, I bet you won't have a lot of company in very cold weather!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary, you never sound like a braggart. And remember the old saying: "It ain't bragging if it's true!"

How else are you going to report accurately on some of those amazing trips you've taken, without stating the plain factual truth? If the description is exciting or interesting, that's not your fault.

So, back to YNP. I am pretty sure there is boondocking in the national forest just west of West Yellowstone -- I saw some rigs back in the trees, not far from town. But what are you going to do if there is a lot of snow on the ground?

The other problem with staying in the West Yellowstone area is that it is far to the other parts of the park. In snowy weather, that could be a long daily drive!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
A very good time to go camping! Though, Yellowstone may be at itโ€™s best in September. Beautiful fall colors, the elk are in rut, much steam from all of the thermal activity, in general the wildlife is more active getting ready for winter. Camping without water will be a bit of a challenge, we feel real good with water onboard to around a -10 F, with our Class C and a -20F with our 5er....but both are designed for cool weather. Fall and winter, truly the magical time to RV.....if you are properly prepared! Be Prepared and Enjoy!

As far as YNP campgrounds. I donโ€™t think that any in the park are open .....though I may be wrong. There are a couple of NF campgrounds outside of the park, on the east side between Wapiti and the park, that remain open!

Gary, Iโ€™m envious of your 4WD. We want to convert.....but, are waiting on the winning lottery ticket! ๐Ÿ˜‰ About $15K ๐Ÿ˜ž memtb

Been to Yellowstone several times in fall and yes, best for colours and animals...it's the two legged critters that cannot pull off to take pictures...or just plugged everything right up that drive me 'round the bend.

The 4x4..I cannot say enough about it. I had to engage it 5 times this past winter drive...sand and snow in different places. The only place I fear are the Washington and Oregon beaches. Get stuck there and I am in serious ka ka. If you are handy with tools and have a shelter to work in..U Joint Off Road has a kit...not a 100% slap in conversion, but a guy I know did one and he loves it. Mine's the a Clydsdale from Kamloops Light Truck and they rock. I suspect your $15,000 estimate to be a tad light..but..maybe not. Mine is well kitted out with rear air suspension (on board compressor), armour plated under the rear so no ripping the plumbing out from under when transitioning from creek bed out..or thru, boat rack on the roof, 250w of solar and 3 deep cycle 12v's. The Triple E Regal came with the winter package..Thermal windows, high R value insulation and a rear heating blower that keeps the rear heated...pipes, bathroom, etc. There is no wood framing, so no wood to rot.

Sorry..not meaning to read like a braggart...I didn't have it done..I bought mostly as is. I put the Aluminess bumper, 12,000lb winch and driving lights on.

If you ever can...it solves a whole bunch of issues. The centre of gravity is higher with the 6" lift, so one has to actually drive it. If it ever drifts onto a soft shoulder...it's gonna be moment.

An aside..there are two cg's kept open. Full disclosure...to camp in most actual cg's is nigh on $100 bux for me. Even tho a senior, as a CDN, no senior rates for me..then add 30% exchange. One night is fine...figure out 3 or 4 months? nope.

Gary

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Official YNP page with winter info:
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/visiting-yellowstone-in-winter.htm

Thanks Tiger..I have that, actually. You know me...I am looking for the secret places.

Gary

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
We were out for 7 weeks this past winter and only 5 nights in a campground..(2 in Quartzite) and that week in Off-Pavemnt's back-yard outside of DV.

From my travels, there are some spots just west of Cody..and south towards Jackson Hole. And yes, the western approaches to Yellowstone. I think I can cram into the parking area at the hot springs just out of Mammouth campground, too.

We aren't out with a destination in mind...although I recall a fine distillery just west of Yellowstone...I may need to find that again.

Gary

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
We, too, try to avoid formal campgrounds. (Why else do you have a rig like ours?) But the problem can be finding a place to overnight when can't simply pull off the road. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Have a great trip in any case.
๐Ÿ˜‰
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Although there are two campgrounds open I tend to avoid formalized camps. On the west are snow machine accesses. I don't have a 4 season rig...it is a good 3, tho, so depending on the temps...we'll see. Looking at historical data shows manageable lows in Feb. -10C and so on.

Thanks for the input to date and if anyone has anything to add? Please feel free.

Gary

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck is good to at least -5F and we certainly never have to drain water.

But that said, we have found that the real restriction is the closure of legal camping spots, especially east of the Mississippi.

You may have a four season beast, but if you can't park it legally, it doesn't do much good.

So, as noted, do check when things close for the winter.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Official YNP page with winter info:
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/visiting-yellowstone-in-winter.htm
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary, you may want to read what is open and closed at YNP during the winter. Mammoth CG, I believe is the only CG open. Most everything else is closed. And there are numerus roads only open to snowmobile travel.