cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

British Columbia, Canada

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
My husband wants to visit BC, Canada and drive the Chiquahalla highway, perhaps stay near the town of Hope.

I would appreciate any information from anyone who has been to this area, and any recommendations for RV parks, highway conditions, etc. We would probably do this next summer.

Thanks for any input.
11 REPLIES 11

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
If you are looking for something much more challenging do hwy 99 out of Squamish. As far as Whistler is kiddies stuff. Then the mountain driving begins.

Is that the old Duffy Lake Road? We did that way back in 1979 (if I recall) when it was all gravel - what a drive!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Oops....sorry...I didn't notice there was a Canada section. I don't know how to move all the posts there, but I can put my original request on there. Thanks

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator: This OP needs to be moved to the โ€œCanadaโ€ section. It isnโ€™t possible to notify you of this via the โ€œNotify Moderatorโ€ link anymore.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Othello Tunnels Campground back in 2009 and found it nice. It's not a resort but then we found that Canada campgrounds don't really go into that sort of thing. They kinda expect you to stay out touristing most of the day and relax at night.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did that one at night in winter, it was not fun with fog and snow turning to rain. Beautiful drive on a sunny day though. You tried hwy 3 between Hope and Princeton? Not for the faint of heart either.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are looking for something much more challenging do hwy 99 out of Squamish. As far as Whistler is kiddies stuff. Then the mountain driving begins.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Our Good Neighbors to the North have some well kept campgrounds and highways. They are much more friendly to most of us southerns.
OP: you may want to get an Alaska Milepost. It has many of the major highways through BC leading to Alaska with information on campgrounds.
While you are north of the border think about visiting Jasper and the Icefields Highway.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't agree, it is a very scenic drive. It is a good four lane divided highway, there is a stiff grade (8.5%)to the summit but should not present any problems as long as the driver spares the right foot. I have not stayed in cg's around Hope so can't comment on them. Be prepared for heavy traffic and remember the posted speed limit of 120 is in kilometres per hour, not miles.:B

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It may be the most boring drive possible in BC. Just as if being on any of the large interstate highways.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you freestyle. Stop when you are tired of driving, take any scenic road, eat at locally owned restaurants etc. Go โ€œunplanned!โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Several years ago we stayed here Coquihalla campsite
It is just outside of Hope.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker