cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for newbies

GraySwain
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are about to purchase a travel trailer and start our new adventure. I was curious if anyone had any recommendations or advice for a newbie. This will be a full time thing for us. How do you pick campsites/parks for certain areas? I’m more of a boater and when I’m doubt used the Waterway Guide publications for help. Is there a similar book or website for RVing? We will be looking (mostly) for monthly rental lots.
10 REPLIES 10

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Making the transition from boats to RVs is very simple. Systems are far more accessible & basic. Costs are far far less. Accomodation is much more plentyful, easier to find & cheaper.

Have fun.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We use most of the sites listed above, but also www.campendium.com.

Also, check out this section of rv.net. Just scroll through and if you have any questions about the topic, read it. It is VERY helpful.
New RVing FAQ
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a boondock or gov.t park lover, not a rv park resident, consider your capacities. Water,waste, power. many units do not address more than a short time ( overnight) without essentials. In our Carriage 5er, we can do 2 weeks water and waste with a genny a few hours a day.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Devour the posts on this Forum. Pick a topic and search for the answers.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I use many federal campgrounds. The America the Beautiful Pass, Senior edition, gives at least fifty per cent off on campgrounds. Many of the Corp of Engineers, and some National Forest Campgrouns have limited hook ups.
Passport America didn't work for us as there is many restrictions of when it can be used.
I still use and older version of Microsoft Streets and Trips, old version of Trailer Life Directory and RV Plan N Go. Our Rand McNally GPS has many campgrounds in it. Works very well for us.
uscampgrounds.info works good for government type campgrounds.
Plan you trips away from interstate highways and you will find many out of the way places.
Plans on getting off the road early on holiday weekends. We tryto find a place on thursdays and don't leave until tuesday after the holiday.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forums.

Add solar.

Tow slowly and take your time

Google maps is your friend--just click nearby and enter campground to search for a place to stay

I use freecampsites.net a lot!

Follow the weather.

Don't run a generator while sleeping.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
We like to use RVParky, google maps and Passport America to find sites as we travel. When we find a park we like to us campground reviews to make sure it has a decent rating.
RVParky helps us plan our route and find campsites along the way.
Look into the Escapees Club they are all about full timing and have several parks you can stay at.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Type into Google, Campgrounds and the name of a location. You get hits. Drill down to their websites. We are mostly state park campers. Every state has a DNR website,,,(Department of Natural Resources) to search state parks and book reservations.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I too use campgroundreviews.com, I also use freecampsites.net.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think there are over 10,000 campgrounds in the US. So they are everywhere. I like campgroundreviews.com but it doesn't contain everything. There is a Good sam book, but it's a physical book and only updated as recent as it's publication - not sure if there's a digital version. We use Google and usually have good luck travelling with WAZE as a GPS. That said, we don't full time so you'd probably have more luck joining a club with a network of cg's to get discounts.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS