Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Traveler Satellite

pdq_bc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:

We are experiencing a problem with our Winegard Traveler satellite. We are currently in the states and the satellite had previously been working just fine (problem free for a long time actually). Our satellite service provider is Shaw Direct.

What happened the other day was that we had driven for the day and arrived at our new rv park, we deployed the satellite in the usual fashion, but the satellite display keep reading "locating satellite" it even peaked, but then went back to "locating satellite" until finally it stowed itself. We tried it a couple more times. No luck / same thing happened. so we had to watch tv using cable. Note; there was nothing blocking the satellite as we were in an open space.

I contacted our satellite service provider and they conformed everything from their end was in complete working order.

Two days later we travelled and again, deployed the satellite. We hoped with a new location that maybe this time it would work. However, no such luck. The satellite did exactly the same thing. This time we had the tv on and tuned to the "status" option - and we could see that the satellites were found based on the tv screen display. But then satellite continued to move and signal was loss as it trying to locate satellite. Again there was nothing blocking the satellite as we were in an open space.

Two days later we travelled and again, deployed the satellite. Third time was not the charm; the satellite did the same behaviour.

Next I tried the manual option in winegard and located satellite 111. The satellite behaved the same way, continuing to try to "locate satellite" until it stowed itself.

I redeployed that satellite, and by looking at the tv screen display of the satellite status, once satellite 111 was located, I unplugged the winegard box. This has resulted in that we have some satellite stations, but this is not the solution. Some is seriously wrong with the Winegard Traveler.

Any ideas?

thanks, peter
we're here... http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=12260
5 REPLIES 5

pdq_bc
Explorer
Explorer
just now, got an email from Winegard....

Peter,

Shaw has changed their signal encoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4, while this has not affected a home system it has affected Trav'ler models manufactured before November of 2017. We are working on an update kit for affected systems. That kit is not available yet, but we are hoping to have it available in the next week or two.

At this time what you have done to get signal is the only way to get signal until the update kit is released.

Thank you,

Winegard Customer Support
800-288-8094/800-788-4417

pdq_bc
Explorer
Explorer
hawkhill wrote:
We has a similar issue with ours. The cause of ours was one of the cables going into the antenna was loose. Tighten it up and no more problems.

i was up on the roof - checked all connections. wasn't the fix ๐Ÿ˜ž

pdq_bc
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Bill!
appreciate this info.
cheers,
peter

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Contact Winegard. They are saying that Shaw has changed something in the way they broadcast their signal and the Trav'ler can only locate 1 satellite. The are working on a fix and expect to have a solution in about 2 weeks. You will need to talk to their tech support so they can e-mail you once the fix is completed.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
We has a similar issue with ours. The cause of ours was one of the cables going into the antenna was loose. Tighten it up and no more problems.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie