Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Pros and Cons of owning a class A RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Pros and Cons of owning a class A RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

way2roll wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

Class A is maybe the most comfortable for traveling and surely the most expensive to buy..

I have to disagree. Lots of Mh's on the market much cheaper than a comparable Fiver and the truck to pull it. I've seen just the trucks big enough to pull a fiver with a higher sticker price than some brand new entry level Class A's. That's not counting the price of the trailer. Trucks have become insanely expensive.

Comparing apples to apples a Class A is more expensive than a fiver. If you compare an old gas Class A with no toad or an old beat up old toad to a new fiver with a new diesel truck, then it will be cheaper, but that's not apples to apples. A Class A needs a toad to get around. Or you can compare a small Class A to a huge fiver and you win, but again that's not apples to apples. There are a few who buy to big and can't handle then and sell them for a song thats how we got ours. You just need to be able to wait till you find your price range and what you need .

I knew somebody would argue the point, but I stand by my observation.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crawford wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

way2roll wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

Class A is maybe the most comfortable for traveling and surely the most expensive to buy..

I have to disagree. Lots of Mh's on the market much cheaper than a comparable Fiver and the truck to pull it. I've seen just the trucks big enough to pull a fiver with a higher sticker price than some brand new entry level Class A's. That's not counting the price of the trailer. Trucks have become insanely expensive.

Comparing apples to apples a Class A is more expensive than a fiver. If you compare an old gas Class A with no toad or an old beat up old toad to a new fiver with a new diesel truck, then it will be cheaper, but that's not apples to apples. A Class A needs a toad to get around. Or you can compare a small Class A to a huge fiver and you win, but again that's not apples to apples. There are a few who buy to big and can't handle then and sell them for a song thats how we got ours. You just need to be able to wait till you find your price range and what you need .

I knew somebody would argue the point, but I stand by my observation.

The thing is, you can still get out of town, with a MH and no toad, as we did for years, but without a truck, you can't go anywhere, with a fiver. Wouldn't be so much of an argument, if one could pull a big one, with his everyday vehicle, like my F150, but one is really limited there, for size. Even if, you have to ride in the truck, rather than in the house. Are you kidding me and for that, there is no comparison, so no use to list all of the downsides of that, here....

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not too sure where you guys are finding 40k new trucks that you'd use to tow with. This would be the smallest I'd choose....Dennis

[image]

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Not too sure where you guys are finding 40k new trucks that you'd use to tow with. This would be the smallest I'd choose....Dennis

Size is one thing. Features and options are another. While 40K maybe on the low end of the budget, you don't need to spend 80K to get a capable truck either.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Pros and Cons of owning a class A RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS