cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CHECK your seals/caulking yearly

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
So this is just a reminder (wish I had that) that everyone should check their seals/caulking on your RV's yearly. We own a 2005 Jayco Escapade class c. We did the roof perimeter with eternal bond a few years ago. We usually store it under cover but this year it has been out in the driveway uncovered being modified/maintained etc. Usually it is used 4+ months per year; we do extended trips of 6 weeks to 2+ months. Our looked fine but dirty...all the caulking/goo around the windows, compartments, strip down the corner of front cabover...old but not cracked. Well hubby periodically checks under his mattress for any possible leaks etc. This time he hit the motherlode and not in a good way. Apparently the caulking on the front corner cabover was compromised...still don't know exactly where. There was furry mold under his pillow area and some black mold on that faux plywood.

Exterior: He scraped all the caulking off the suspected areas/parts were brittle but not cracked and recaulked which stopped the water flow. He will soon be redoing ALL of the caulking/sealing around each window/compartment etc.

Interior: Hubby tore the plywood off the cabover bed and took one bay (of three) down to the skinny plywood that the fiberglass is glued to......lots of white foam balls all over the place, wet wood/possible or probably mold. Clean up with vinegar. He drilled 2" holes in the boxed in area that is across the bottom of cabover and pulled out wringing wet fiberglass insulation. Currently the AC is blasting, fans running for two days and ongoing.

This could have been avoided if he periodically had just spot checked areas by stripping/scraping off the caulk/sealant to see how brittle it was and reapplying. He is doing his best to fix this up (our baby) but I can see a new one in my future.... Live and learn by our mistakes!
10 REPLIES 10

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
will remind hubby of the lights!

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inspect the yellow lenses carefully.....can get hit by rock and a small crack can allow water to penetrate. I caught mine early (always looking for water up there) and found two lenses were cracked from age and/or rock hitting'em. Replaced and sealed and no water. Also have thought about just removing and caulking over, but, ordered new LED's and replacing with lots of good fresh caulk to seal'em up tight (but always need to keep rechecking in the future for above-mentioned items). If I get too old to climb the outside ladder, I'll have someone else inspect or just completely remove and seal it off.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcason wrote:
So this is just a reminder (wish I had that) that everyone should check their seals/caulking on your RV's yearly. We own a 2005 Jayco Escapade class c. We did the roof perimeter with eternal bond a few years ago. We usually store it under cover but this year it has been out in the driveway uncovered being modified/maintained etc. Usually it is used 4+ months per year; we do extended trips of 6 weeks to 2+ months. Our looked fine but dirty...all the caulking/goo around the windows, compartments, strip down the corner of front cabover...old but not cracked. Well hubby periodically checks under his mattress for any possible leaks etc. This time he hit the motherlode and not in a good way. Apparently the caulking on the front corner cabover was compromised...still don't know exactly where. There was furry mold under his pillow area and some black mold on that faux plywood.

Exterior: He scraped all the caulking off the suspected areas/parts were brittle but not cracked and recaulked which stopped the water flow. He will soon be redoing ALL of the caulking/sealing around each window/compartment etc.

Interior: Hubby tore the plywood off the cabover bed and took one bay (of three) down to the skinny plywood that the fiberglass is glued to......lots of white foam balls all over the place, wet wood/possible or probably mold. Clean up with vinegar. He drilled 2" holes in the boxed in area that is across the bottom of cabover and pulled out wringing wet fiberglass insulation. Currently the AC is blasting, fans running for two days and ongoing.

This could have been avoided if he periodically had just spot checked areas by stripping/scraping off the caulk/sealant to see how brittle it was and reapplying. He is doing his best to fix this up (our baby) but I can see a new one in my future.... Live and learn by our mistakes!

Be sure to remove, very carefully reseal around their base, and remount (using chaulked screw holes) the five (5) yellow cabover exterior lights!! They are a logical thing to leak water - right into the cabover walls - so that it can run down within the walls to the bottom of the cabover floor.

I blocked my cabover lights years ago so that they can never leak (I did this proactively, as they had not yet leaked). Their wires no longer go inside ... so they don't light up ... but they cannot leak, either. I see no real physical/safety reason why an RV needs these lights working, anyway - commercial trucks, yes - private RVs, no.

These lights leaking could have been what ruined your cabover floor.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Why we keep our RV inside except when we use it. It stays in the back of the tractor shop in the heat and ac. In the winter I use it for my 'break room' for a cup of hot Joe.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
dcason wrote:
Ah, I thought eternabond was forever (kind of)...that would be a nightmare to remove!

Not forever but for a good ling time...
" EternaBondยฎ has an expected life (depending on where you live) of 18-35 years exposed to the weather. EternaBondยฎ has a 5 year shelf life"

Great!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcason wrote:
Ah, I thought eternabond was forever (kind of)...that would be a nightmare to remove!

Not forever but for a good long time...
" EternaBondยฎ has an expected life (depending on where you live) of 18-35 years exposed to the weather. EternaBondยฎ has a 5 year shelf life"
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
Sorry to hear. Water is definitely the enemy of RV's! I did a ton of rot repair on my old trailer, and hope I don't have to do it to our motorhome, but if (when) it happens, I'll do it. Because it seems to be a part of RVing...

In the meantime, check and re-seal everything. Eternabond is good for a few years, not not forever. And scraping/re-caulking may not be good enough since you've already experienced a leak. Especially up in the cabover, I'd remove the 'trim' pieces and re-do the actual seals between the panels, not just caulk over them (assuming it's not a one piece fiberglass cap).

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Thanks for the post, it's a great reminder. I have a lung disease and can't tolerate any mold. We had a Class A years ago that the rear tail light allowed some water in. Well behind the lights is nothing buy plywood and of course it grew mold. I remediated as much as I could but we ended up selling - full disclosure to the new owners and price was reflected as such. I never even considered the taillights of all things would need to be resealed periodically and the issue that came about as a result. Now I check every single thing, every bolt, screw, light, seal etc - any penetration into the RV and probably over do it, but it only takes a pin hole to completely ruin an RV for me. Good luck in your fix, sounds daunting.

I hear you on the mold! I got sick (vomiting) when i helped remove mold infested fiberglass from daughters renovation house. I used a dust mask (woefully inadequate and I knew it) and no one else got sick! So don't want to play that game again or worse. I think in a few years if hubby can make it last cleanly, we will replace it.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear. Water is definitely the enemy of RV's! I did a ton of rot repair on my old trailer, and hope I don't have to do it to our motorhome, but if (when) it happens, I'll do it. Because it seems to be a part of RVing...

In the meantime, check and re-seal everything. Eternabond is good for a few years, not not forever. And scraping/re-caulking may not be good enough since you've already experienced a leak. Especially up in the cabover, I'd remove the 'trim' pieces and re-do the actual seals between the panels, not just caulk over them (assuming it's not a one piece fiberglass cap).
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for the post, it's a great reminder. I have a lung disease and can't tolerate any mold. We had a Class A years ago that the rear tail light allowed some water in. Well behind the lights is nothing buy plywood and of course it grew mold. I remediated as much as I could but we ended up selling - full disclosure to the new owners and price was reflected as such. I never even considered the taillights of all things would need to be resealed periodically and the issue that came about as a result. Now I check every single thing, every bolt, screw, light, seal etc - any penetration into the RV and probably over do it, but it only takes a pin hole to completely ruin an RV for me. Good luck in your fix, sounds daunting.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS