cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Japanese cars in Mexico

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I am now being told you cannot bring a Car that has a "J" in its VIN into mexico as it was made in Japan. Like the honda I plan to tow in next year. I believe this refers to nationizing a car. Has anyone towed a japanese made car (Vin starts with J) into Mexico and obtained a TIP on it?
24 REPLIES 24

Talleyho69
Don't know the name of the way that several people we know here in Zihuatanejo "bought" their license plates. We know four of them. They paid a facilitator to go to Hacienda every year to pay for the renewals.

The second time, three years ago, Russ and Shelly headed up the mountain to Morelia to shop, they were stopped by a PFP shortly after they got on the toll road. He stopped them because of their plates. He examined their paperwork and strongly suggested to them that they turn around, drive straight back to Zihuatanejo, and never try to take their car out of town again.

They "donated" their car to an ejido here, and bought a good used car.

It absolutely scared the s**t out of them, and they had already lived here full time for five years. Fortunately for them, they had a nice PFP.

It's not hard to follow the law, it's tougher to find a quasi-legal way around it. I like things easy!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
True, but that was not my original premise. First i was confused if Japanese made vehiclkes could even get a 180 day TIP.I was not planning to import the vehicle in permanent, although the thought has occured to me if I get resident status. Easier to buy a car in Mexico, however.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I see it like this. Why would any American or Canadian, with any scruples at all, attempt to import a car temporarily and then apply for UCD plates which allow you to avoid the law by paying a fee and it is backed by an organization that we know very little about? Doesn't make sense. You are limited to the area you drive in and I don't know if you can get regular insurance or buy it through the organization.

Any true-blooded American, Canadian, or Mexican would be more than happy to contribute to the coffers by paying for importation, plates and tags. I have seen Mercedes driven by Americans in SMA who have joined the association.

I understand, "when in Rome do as the Romans do", but I doubt it was ever meant to "screw unto others as they may or may not have screwed unto you".
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
intersting, she has seemed helpful. Advice taken

Talleyho69
This was sent to me privately on August 20:

"I know her and her spouse, don't know if you do.

We've had our rounds about what's legal and what's not. They do things the illegal way, not the legal way.

As my mother used to say, "I wouldn't trust her any further than I could throw her".

And that is that."

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Sonia is a fraud. Avoid her like the plague.
Moisheh

Talleyho69
qtlq9111 is so right. If you live here, use the systems as they are designed.

Yes. if you alternate your residencies between temporary and permanent, you can get more time driving "out of country" vehicles. Is it that important?

When we settled in here, permanently in our home, it made a huge difference as to how we felt about things. We no longer have any need or desire to go north of the border.

Did we expect that? Not really, but we have found that our outlooks and thoughts on life have changed dramatically living here. It's really really good.

That's all very personal and obviously varies between people. We are extremely happy here and are so glad we made the decision to immigrate to Mexico. For us, it was a great thing and we are thrilled with our decision.

For others??? It's a very personal call and hopefully you will make the decision that will make you the happiest!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Nissan March 2019

MARCH SENSE T/Mยด19 $173,507
MARCH SENSE T/Aยด19 $188,766
MARCH ADVANCE T/Mยด19 $193,151
MARCH ADVANCE T/Aยด19 $208,501
MARCH EXCLUSIVE T/Aยด19 $222,115
MARCH SR T/Mยด19 $222,115
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Talleyho69 wrote:
You have to be very aware of who knows what. When we asked about vehicles at the Mexican Consulate they were very up front about the fact that they knew nothing about it and that the information was not available to them because it was not something that they covered. They were basically immigration. This was further illustrated when we started planing our menaje de casa. Yes, you get the final paperwork done through them, but it turns out that there is a defined period of time after getting your residency and when you can use it. They weren't really aware of that until we were ready to do ours. We missed the window, but it worked out well anyway.

Vehicles? I'm with gtla9111. Don't think you can nationalize anything of the age of your Honda, and when the time comes for your trailer/RV, you will have the same limitations. When you figure in the cost of the customs broker, the taxes and fees, you are still better off buying something here. You can buy a brand new March for under 200,000p.

IMSS-check it out. For our age, it is about $465 US a year, each. Many preexisting conditions are excluded. It's better than nothing, and in some areas I hear it's great. Here, for example, Karl has it. He needs to have his gall bladder removed. Free with his IMSS, big incision, etc. At the private hospital, arthroscopically, it's $450 US all included, minimal recovery time. He opted to go the private route. Lots of homework to be done.

I'm with Talleyho69. It is so much easier just to be a permanent resident and do things that we do in Mexico. Buy a new Mexican car or even used. I've always purchased used cars in Mexico and with my limited but wise knowledge, I have always picked a winner. You can do all the same things when purchasing new or used as in the states.

As for IMSS, I pay what TAlleyho69 pays. I can opt to go social or private. My cardiologist (private) still charges me $100 U.S. each year for full check-up including stress test, EKG, X rays, full blood work, etc. He is the medical director of San Lucas Hospital in Monterrey. If I need a bypass, I can go social and because he works in the social system as well, he can be my surgeon.

A pacemaker in the U.S. is roughly $30,000. In Mexico, less than $3000.

I'm not rich, but I don't want to be one of those ex-pats that is constantly driving or flying back and forth to the U.S. every time I have some kind of leak or blowout. I live here, this is what we do and what we have.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
If I get perm then I can still drive
vehicles my wife brings in. If she goes temporal in 4 years that is 8 years total. I will be 78. Probably fly and rent by then

Talleyho69
You have to be very aware of who knows what. When we asked about vehicles at the Mexican Consulate they were very up front about the fact that they knew nothing about it and that the information was not available to them because it was not something that they covered. They were basically immigration. This was further illustrated when we started planing our menaje de casa. Yes, you get the final paperwork done through them, but it turns out that there is a defined period of time after getting your residency and when you can use it. They weren't really aware of that until we were ready to do ours. We missed the window, but it worked out well anyway.

Vehicles? I'm with gtla9111. Don't think you can nationalize anything of the age of your Honda, and when the time comes for your trailer/RV, you will have the same limitations. When you figure in the cost of the customs broker, the taxes and fees, you are still better off buying something here. You can buy a brand new March for under 200,000p.

IMSS-check it out. For our age, it is about $465 US a year, each. Many preexisting conditions are excluded. It's better than nothing, and in some areas I hear it's great. Here, for example, Karl has it. He needs to have his gall bladder removed. Free with his IMSS, big incision, etc. At the private hospital, arthroscopically, it's $450 US all included, minimal recovery time. He opted to go the private route. Lots of homework to be done.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Tequila wrote:
Talleyho69 wrote:
You can tow in anything you like.

You can't nationalize anything more than 9 years old and it must be a NAFTA vehicle.

Actually they have reciently change they rules you cna now nationalize 2000 to 2016 years according to Sonai Diaz website

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/nationalizing-cars.html

I don't care how popular the woman is or her new book, it's funny business.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
permanently importing and putting mexican plates on it

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Please explain, what is this "nationalize" you speak of referring to a vehicle?