Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Permanent Resident and bringing in a Motorhome

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
This may actually be legal.

I have always known that you cannot take a car or truck in if you have residente permanente, but this MAY NOT apply to motorhomes. The SAT REGS mention the restriction for automobiles/trucks, but in the Casa Rodantes section, no mention at all. I have now come across one couple, both with permanente who are driving a Class A in and out annually with no probems (so far). They obtained them last year. I am not sure if they obtained them directly or converted from temporal. At least the computer systems did not bring up an issue.

I am wondering if you already have a 10 year permit on an RV, if this is maybe allowed (for the life of the permit anyway). I am going to have my Mexican Partner contact SAT and try to find out. I want to get residente status this season myself (so I can buy a Mexican car and access IMSS) and I want to leave my motorhome in Mexico. I can do it on temporal, but I would rather go the whole hog. Besides temporal is only good for 4 years

If you understand Spanish here are the 2 SAT sections on each type of vehicle:

Cars

Motorhomes

Anyone here in this situation?
4 REPLIES 4

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I have been stopped in Sonara on hwy 15 and had my permits examined. This is why I wont attempt this unless I have something firm from SAT. The insurance issue is another matter.

Talleyho69
Crossing the border, at least at Nogales and Sonoyta, we have never been asked for any proof of visas for ourselves or permits for the vehicle. Yes, last year we crossed 4 times, in both US and Mexico plated vehicles and no one had any interest in us when we entered Mexico. The US? Passport please.

We got our Permanent Residency and still really needed to bring the RV down one more time with "stuff" in it and live in in for a month while the house was being made habitable.

We considered many things, including me (this RV 10 year permit was in his name) getting a new passport, which generates a new number, which would not be in the records, and getting a 10 year permit on it with my passport and a FMM 180 day visa. In theory there would not have been a record of my Permanent Residency linked to that passport number. Didn't do that.

Spoke to two attorneys here that know us and supposedly know the law. One said we absolutely couldn't legally drive a US plated vehicle no matter what it was or what kind of permit it had once we had our Permanent Residency.

The other said that "definitely" because we already had a 10 year permit on it that was issued before we got our Permanent Residency, we would be OK.

Both stated the opinions that the chances of being "caught" were very slim because other than the PFP, chances were very very good that no one else would actually know the rules.

No matter what, without a current FMM, the 180 day visa, the insurance is not valid. We had a claim several years ago, and the first thing they wanted was proof that we were in the country legally and as a tourist, not a resident.

So, what did we do??? We just drove down, did our thing, and drove out 6 months later, not bothering to turn in the 10 year permit because we were selling the RV and now owned a Mexican plated vehicle and have no intention of ever returning to the US.

The couple driving the US plated vehicle with Permanent Residency status very likely will not have any issues. When are you ever checked for your visas and vehicle permits? However, if they ever try to use their insurance, they will find that it is not valid, and they not only wasted their money on the premiums, they have a serious legal issue to take care of.

It would be very easy, without the correct permit/license plate agreement with just a minor accident to have the vehicle seized and be permanently expelled from the country AFTER handling the monetary issues involved in an accident.

When you sign the pages for your Permanent Residency you agree to follow the laws of Mexico or you will be expelled from the country and not be allowed to return.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The diference is a motorhome or trailer, etc is issued a 10 year permit, a car or truck 180 day. The reason for the restriction is to stop people from selling foreign plated vehicles in Mexico. Possibly they do not consider RV's a threat for that. After all, there is no deposit on them. Anyway I am going to check on it. These people say their immigration lawyer told them it was OK. With all the computer integration these days, he may be right. I want it straight from SAT before I attempt it. I am also betting that even if you can, you would not be able to obtain a 10 year after getting residente. It is interesting that the SAT regs do not mention the restriction under Casa Rodantes, just the restrictions on who can drive it.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt it seriously. Why would the fact that it is a motorhome make any difference?

Something fishy here being able to come in and out of the country as permanent residents with a foreign plated rv.

If it is plated in the U.S. or Canada it could easily be confiscated. Mexican plates cannot be issued unless you show proof of permanent residency.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog