cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

diplexer needed?

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a King 4800 satellite dish for directv. I tried plugging it into the coax port on the outside (shore side) of my new RV. The power inserter on the inside does not send power to the antenna. Do I need a diplexer, or something else, in order for the power inserter to be able to power the antenna? It works fine, just not when I try to hook it up to the RV. Problem seems to be with the pre-wired coax ports. Any info would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not familar with that model but domes are not compatible with the Genie receivers as the Genie requires SWM. However, other domes CAN have the SWM8 kit with PI29 (29V power inserter) added between the dome and the receiver and the Genie works just fine. With the upcoming changes to DirecTV, which is going to have a dramatic change to what programming can and cannot be received, I would not spend any money on a dome at this point.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
Disregard. I just went onto the King site, and read that the Genie will not work with the 4800 series dish. Thx.

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
King 4800 satellite owners... Have y'all attempted to use the Directv Genie and Genie minis with your setup? If so, did you have to use BOTH ports or connections on your dish in order for the Genie to work? I've attempted it with one coax input, and it will not work. Thinking that this may be the issue. Any info helpful. Thx.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a thought. If your coax from outside to the back of the antenna switch has enough slack, put a 2 coax wall plate next to the antenna switch and move the coax to the top (or bottom) connector on the 2 coax wall plate.

Run a short coax from the bottom (or top) connector back to the antenna switch plate.

Put a short coax jumper from the top coax connector to the bottom coax connector.

With that short coax jumper in place, you have the same setup you have now. Take that short jumper off and you have a home run coax from the power inserter/receiver to the coax outside the RV.

Just check to be sure that you DO have a home run from that coax connector to the outside connector.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm - As per the instructions (which worked away from the RV), one end of the coax screws onto the antenna. Other end of coax screws into the power inserter. Other end of inserter goes into receiver (along with inserter power cord being plugged in). Then of course, receiver to TV.
I believe the problem is that I'm attempting to hook in the inserter AFTER the incoming coax cable has been split (in the wall somewhere). Gonna have to dig behind the interior wall plate, to see if the "splitting" is within reach, so I can get to the main coax coming from the outside connection.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where did you attempt to insert power

Standard RV antenna wiring version 1

Ant to Box
park cable to same box different port
TVs to same box other ports
12 volts to box

Box will send 12 volts to ANTENNA will not pass power

To use with sat you have to disconnect the "CABLE" able (Center on back) from unit

Alternate Box of many buttons (matrix switch) it too will not pass power to satellite inserter must be hooked to the CABLE cable.

Page 2
Neither of these will pass Sat signals to the receiver.

So. since most Sat Dishes are powered from the receiver NOT via a power inserter you must disonnect the CABLE cable and run or extend it DIRECT to the sat receiver.. The end up system looks a bit like thid

SAT-Receiver======== Sat dish

(====is Coax cable.. RG 6 or 11 prefered over 59)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo, I believe that this is the issue. There is only one coax connection on the outside. On the inside, there is a plate with aux/sat on one connection, and a connection for the HD over air antenna mounted on the roof. I'm sure that the connection on the outside is split using "regular" splitters, running to three connections for three TVs on the inside. I believe that I will need to run another parallel line from the outside to the main area on the inside, where I want to hook the Directv satellite dish to. From there I'll probably need a diplexer to run lines to the other two TV connections. Thanks for your help.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on how the coax was wired in your trailer.

1. There are separate SAT and CABLE coax connections on the outside of the RV - should work fine. Just be sure you are using the correct coax connection.

2. There is a single coax connection - this goes to the back of the antenna switch plate so that switch can select either cable or antenna. This won't work for your satellite. You need to run another coax cable in parallel to the existing one. That connection on the back of the switch plate will not allow current to pass.

My first RV had a single coax cable, and I ran another. My current RV came with two coax inputs.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB