cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency escape thoughts...

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
If your mh rolled over on the highway, how would you get out? The door and windows would either now be the roof or the floor. What's the chances of the windshield popping out on it's own. The windshield appears to be the best route of escape. It might could be kicked out but then you might not be in a condition to kick it out. Would a window punch tool break a motorhome windshield? What's your thoughts?
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
15 REPLIES 15

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Every single Class rollover I've seen, the coach completely came apart. One I saw was a low-speed run into a ditch, so it didn't even roll over. Just halfway into the ditch. It's still ejected the slide-out, windshield, and passenger seat (fortunately not occupied).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have never really thought of this. We do have an emergency exit window behind the couch, and over the bed. Figure the camper is 8 ft wide, so getting up to climb out of either one if it is on it's side may be an issue though.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best way to deal with it.. As the CBers say
Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.

I came downright close to rolling this rig once but thinking fast and I mean fast. Kept it upright. I used the laws of inertia to over come the law of gravity and the result was I was straddling a ditch for a few hundred yards before there was a crossover culvert and I was back on the road again.. About 100 pounds of kentucky blue grass loaded up. but no real damage save needing a wash and clean underwear.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I had not thought of the skylights as we have 2.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, in our Class A with have an emergency exit window in the back bedroom on the driver's side, the mid-entry door on the passenger side, and the driver's access door on the driver's side. I'm assuming one of those should be available. I don't think I'd try to squeeze through one of our 14" roof vent openings, unless my dying wish is to give everyone else a good laugh! 🙂 The skylight in the shower, however, I could probably fit through, but I'm thinking it's not going to break/push out too easily.

To be honest, other than informing the occupants where the doors/exits are located, I never really gave it much thought. There are just way too many variables for what such an incident might entail. While I like to be prepared, I've learned that sometimes you have to take reasonable precautions and leave the rest up to fate. Then go and enjoy the day. 🙂

Safe travels to all!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an escape hatch over the cabover bed. I can climb out that. Or I can go out the rear window or windshield. As it's a class C, I also have the cab doors - one will be facing up.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
In 1995 saw a class A roll in Idaho. Driver fell asleep and over corrected when they hit the rumble strips. Multiple drivers stopped with rescue, we walked them out the front windshield as it had disintegrated.

I was surprised no one was hurt from the falling cabinets.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I should have said rolled over on it's side....
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Most I have had were equipped with an emergency "zip out" rear window. There is a tab you pull on that rips the gasket and allows the window to fall out or be be pushed out.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Updated Rv Safety|Mac The Fire Guy

Mac the Fire Guy has several videos on YouTube. He stresses having an escape plan and practicing using them. Very worthwhile and educational. Highly recommended.

If you ever get the chance, be sure to attend one of his seminars at the bigger rallies.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Probably just stand up and walk out...assuming you have working legs still.

Have you ever seen a MH roll over crash...they usually disintegrate.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Roll a motorhome, your last worry will be how to get out.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
The few pictures I have seen of a motorhome rollover, the walls and roof simply blew apart. Like a kids house made of playing cards. Not much structure there.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Window punch tool will not break the front windshield, nor any other laminated glass window. It will crack the glass but not shatter it, like it does a one layer tempered glass window, such as side windows in autos.
WE carry a four foot folding, lightweight aluminum step ladder inside the motorhome. Have done that since we experienced a faulty exit step and had to climb out and into the MH a few times. I suppose it would work to get to the "top" windows if the MH was on it's side.
2014 Allegro 36LA