cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lance roof noise?

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about possibly purchaseing a lance trailer and was wondering how quiet they are when it's raining and sound transfer in campgrounds? Thanks for your help with this!Bill
17 REPLIES 17

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Not many places to do that with a Lance in north Idaho. ๐Ÿ˜ž
A sprinkler will probably have to do.:B

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Not many places to do that with a Lance in north Idaho. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replying everyone! I also like the sound of rain, but I don't like it deafening. I think it is a good idea to go sit in one while it's raining and hear for myself. Happy camping! Bill

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I kind of enjoy the sound, but to each his own. What scares me are tree limbs. I try not to park under trees, especially if thereโ€™s a storm on the way. I had one about 3โ€ in diameter hit the roof and thought the Russians were making a bombing run.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We just endured a 1/2 day of rain in our ORV 25RDS. While I didn't find the rain loud I did notice it. One of the things that can make or break the noise is skylights and vents. We have a skylight in the living area and vent in the living/kitchen area. Those two items probably made it a little louder inside than if they weren't there. I could here the rain on the vent/skylight plastic more than on the roof. Also the slide was the noisiest part in the living area.

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2019 Lance 2375. The exterior portion of the roof is constructed of a one piece PVC material and a type of foam insulation. We have been in a number of rain storms this spring and I don't really think the roof is any louder than our previous Class C. We also have the slide out awning so I do not notice any noise in the slide area.

We have one 170w solar panel, and with the 15k a/c, two fantastic fans, antenna, and vents on the roof there's not a lot of empty space.

As others have stated, this is purely subjective as we like the sound of the rain.

Maybe you can go to a dealer and sit in one during the rain.
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
As long as it is a rubber/vinyl,TPO, EPDM membrane it WILL be quieter than a RV with a METAL ROOF as far as rain goes..

As far as campground noise transferring into a RV via the roof, I think you will have MORE issues with the walls, windows and doors than the roof. RV walls, doors are paper thin and very little insulation (R3.5 typical) between you and the outside..

Artic Fox most likely has higher value insulation than a typical RV which will account for a quieter interior.

Single pane windows in a RV are virtually transparent as far as noise goes, meaning they attenuate noise very little and are pretty darn efficient transferring the noise to the inside..

I would recommend verifying the R value of insulation of your target RV vs the RV you now have, the higher R value not only means better heat/cool performance but a quieter interior..

Double check to see if your target RV has double pane windows, it DOES make a difference in sound transfer via windows..

Something else to consider, roof vents will easily transfer outside noise to the interior so if noise is a huge issue to you, might want to skip RVs with roof vent in sleeping area..
ThanksGdetrailer, the old trailer had the tpo roof also and yes I was talking about the noise transfer through the walls also. And yes as others are saying the older we get the quieter things become

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
The older I get, the quieter the RV gets.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Noise in general is a personal thing.

We have a 2010 Dutchmen. I never gave much thought to rain noise. Of course what can you expect when you are in a tin box. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as it is a rubber/vinyl,TPO, EPDM membrane it WILL be quieter than a RV with a METAL ROOF as far as rain goes..

As far as campground noise transferring into a RV via the roof, I think you will have MORE issues with the walls, windows and doors than the roof. RV walls, doors are paper thin and very little insulation (R3.5 typical) between you and the outside..

Artic Fox most likely has higher value insulation than a typical RV which will account for a quieter interior.

Single pane windows in a RV are virtually transparent as far as noise goes, meaning they attenuate noise very little and are pretty darn efficient transferring the noise to the inside..

I would recommend verifying the R value of insulation of your target RV vs the RV you now have, the higher R value not only means better heat/cool performance but a quieter interior..

Double check to see if your target RV has double pane windows, it DOES make a difference in sound transfer via windows..

Something else to consider, roof vents will easily transfer outside noise to the interior so if noise is a huge issue to you, might want to skip RVs with roof vent in sleeping area..

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replying! My 04 Adarondac was extremely noisy in a rain storm and our current 2010. Arctic Fox is extremely quiet. It would be a real breaker for me if the Lance is noisy. Looks like they use a foam product for the ceiling where Northwoods products use fiberglass insulation. I don't get much noise transmitted though the walls iether.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Every couple years posts come around here about rain noise on the roof. A few years ago several posters were emphatic that there were significant differences between various trailers.

Mine happens to have solar panels above the bedroom area, so it's probably quieter than some others.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
Interesting post. I had never thought about it as I personally find the rain on my TT roof to be relaxing. I bet that they are pretty much all the same.

X2.

X3

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Interesting post. I had never thought about it as I personally find the rain on my TT roof to be relaxing. I bet that they are pretty much all the same.

X2.