cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps recommendations

gmittan
Explorer
Explorer
We are the new owners of a Reflection 303 RLS 5th wheel. Due to recent health setbacks affecting my left leg, back, etc. (as well as our old Lab's struggles with steps) I've been looking at steps that provide easier access. So far we like the RV-CO steps (maybe their porch later when we start taking more extended trips next year). Does anyone have comments/recommendations for providing stable and easier access steps?
Thanks all
21 REPLIES 21

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they are very stable and do not wobble.

My 5th wheels factory steps were only three steps the Glo Steps are four. The rise is not as high as the factory step and is somewhat adjustable as well.

They also can be set to accommodate uneven ground.

They can be deployed in tight spaces like a storage yard.

They also stay outside the RV where they belong and not folded up into the RV.

I got them because I suffered several strokes and have weakness and balance issues. I felt very nervous going up and down the factory steps. With the Glo Steps I do not have such a fear of falling. We had a 15 year old Cocker Spaniel. He couldn't go up or down the factory steps but he handled the Glo Steps just fine.

I have nothing but praise for these steps because they truly did make a difference for me.

Thanks for the explanation. I could not have the solid unit that folds up into the rv as mine is in a storage lot and there is not enough room for that. I also dont like the fact if you fold them up wet or dirty that all goes into the rv.

Sounds like folks have nothing but good to say on the glo steps.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
My Glow steps became difficult to extend and retract. I messaged Tork Lift asking about what lubricant they recommend for the steps. It turns out they do not recommend a lubricant. The steps are adjustable by tightening or loosening several of the bolts on the sides of the steps. The instructions are in the manual on how to adjust the steps. I followed the instructions and my steps work just fine now.

Hmm, no lubricant? Wish I would have saw this message a long time ago or reached out to Torklift myself.

I've lubed the steps and they're now a little TOO easy to extend/retract.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
Is the reason folks get the new steps like the Glo steps is because they make contact with the ground and are less wobbly? For the ones that came with my diver I put the leveling blocks under the steps but just to take the wobble out of the fiver when going up or down them. I was just curious as to the reason why folks change. I have seen them and they do look nice.

Yes they are very stable and do not wobble.

My 5th wheels factory steps were only three steps the Glo Steps are four. The rise is not as high as the factory step and is somewhat adjustable as well.

They also can be set to accommodate uneven ground.

They can be deployed in tight spaces like a storage yard.

They also stay outside the RV where they belong and not folded up into the RV.

I got them because I suffered several strokes and have weakness and balance issues. I felt very nervous going up and down the factory steps. With the Glo Steps I do not have such a fear of falling. We had a 15 year old Cocker Spaniel. He couldn't go up or down the factory steps but he handled the Glo Steps just fine.

I have nothing but praise for these steps because they truly did make a difference for me.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Is the reason folks get the new steps like the Glo steps is because they make contact with the ground and are less wobbly? For the ones that came with my diver I put the leveling blocks under the steps but just to take the wobble out of the fiver when going up or down them. I was just curious as to the reason why folks change. I have seen them and they do look nice.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
While I don't have the Glow Steps, I'm a huge fan of them based on what I've seen. I'm considering getting them at some point.
I'm curious about their longevity especially the 4 or 5 step versions used by those who extend and stow them frequently. With so many connections/moving parts do they loosen over time and loose their rigidity?

My Glow steps became difficult to extend and retract. I messaged Tork Lift asking about what lubricant they recommend for the steps. It turns out they do not recommend a lubricant. The steps are adjustable by tightening or loosening several of the bolts on the sides of the steps. The instructions are in the manual on how to adjust the steps. I followed the instructions and my steps work just fine now.

The steps are made of aluminum and are of a very high quality. Installation was fairly easy and my son-in-law did it by himself in just under an hour.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND READING THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND FULLY UNDERSTAND BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THEM. When you first unpack the steps you might take a look and take apart sections that you do not have to. Just follow the instructions and you will have no problems.

Dave

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
While I don't have the Glow Steps, I'm a huge fan of them based on what I've seen. I'm considering getting them at some point.
I'm curious about their longevity especially the 4 or 5 step versions used by those who extend and stow them frequently. With so many connections/moving parts do they loosen over time and loose their rigidity?
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
I think the entry steps are the least of it, what about the steps on the inside every time you have to go to the bathroom?
I have trouble with mine also. Need to look at what it will take to add one more step.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
I think the entry steps are the least of it, what about the steps on the inside every time you have to go to the bathroom?

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yet another enthusiastic vote for the Glow steps. Best move I ever made.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Could also use a 2x? board with non slip grips to act as a ramp for Fido.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Torklift Glo steps. I suffered several strokes that has left my left side rather weak. These steps make it a lot easier to get in and out of our 5th wheel.

Dave

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Port-a-step and port-a-porch brand. The owners of the company have hip problems also so they designed these and started making them.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
To help out your 'old Lab" Glow Step offers the SafeStep which is a product that closes in the riser space between each step so the dog can go up easily and safely.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift glow steps are the best.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023