cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

knocking noise in exhaust

JCMack
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2006 Newmar work horse Mountain Aire with the 8.1 engine we have developed noise in the passenger side exhaust that sounds like something metal banging on the exhaust pipe. I have checked the entire exhaust and do not see anything lose. I only hear it at idle. the engine only has 36000 km on it and runs great. We are currently at a camp ground so looking for any thoughts as to where I should be looking, thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
if the cat. is loose in the pipe you should be able to take your hand and pound on it to see if you here the same noise

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a donut gasket at the bottom of the exhaust manifolds that will come loose and cause the pipe to rattle. It is an easy and cheap fix IF you can get the exhaust bolts loose. All you have to do is get underneath and try to move the exhaust pipe and see how much it flexes at the exhaust manifold.
If it is something loose in either the cats or the mufflers all you have to do is go under the coach and strike the parts. Something loose will rattle.
Do this BEFORE you take it to a mechanic other wise you may be paying for a new part when all that was necessary to stop the noise was tightening up a bracket.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Cats make some weird noises when they come apart. I will also go with the catalytic converter. And fix ASAP. Otherwise it could break up even more and wedge itself in the exhaust and then you’ll have no power and running hot.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on cat converter. It is starting to break loose internally. It can come loose and restrict the exhaust flow causing burned valves. Don't wait to get it replaced.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Workhorse had some issues with their catalytic converters. It could be a piece of the catalyst banging around.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson