Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: knocking noise in exhaust
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> knocking noise in exhaust

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
JCMack

Ottawa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2006 Newmar work horse Mountain Aire with the 8.1 engine we have developed noise in the passenger side exhaust that sounds like something metal banging on the exhaust pipe. I have checked the entire exhaust and do not see anything lose. I only hear it at idle. the engine only has 36000 km on it and runs great. We are currently at a camp ground so looking for any thoughts as to where I should be looking, thanks.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Workhorse had some issues with their catalytic converters. It could be a piece of the catalyst banging around.

Richard

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

Bikeboy57

Inverness, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on cat converter. It is starting to break loose internally. It can come loose and restrict the exhaust flow causing burned valves. Don't wait to get it replaced.

Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cats make some weird noises when they come apart. I will also go with the catalytic converter. And fix ASAP. Otherwise it could break up even more and wedge itself in the exhaust and then you’ll have no power and running hot.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a donut gasket at the bottom of the exhaust manifolds that will come loose and cause the pipe to rattle. It is an easy and cheap fix IF you can get the exhaust bolts loose. All you have to do is get underneath and try to move the exhaust pipe and see how much it flexes at the exhaust manifold.
If it is something loose in either the cats or the mufflers all you have to do is go under the coach and strike the parts. Something loose will rattle.
Do this BEFORE you take it to a mechanic other wise you may be paying for a new part when all that was necessary to stop the noise was tightening up a bracket.

allbrandauto

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if the cat. is loose in the pipe you should be able to take your hand and pound on it to see if you here the same noise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> knocking noise in exhaust
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS